MtlBiker

Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 w/WorkerB motor

My first industrial sewing machine was a Consew 206RB-5, about two years ago.  I later added a Techsew 2750 Pro (cylinder arm) machine.  But ever since I started sewing I've been drooling over the Ultrafeed LSZ-1.  Not that I really needed such portability nor did I have a real need for a zig-zag stitch.  I came close a couple of times to buying a cheap clone, and I'm really glad I didn't.  About 6 months ago I finally splurged and bought the LSZ-1 Premium package.  I later added their folding table.  I must say that I really am extremely happy with that machine, even though I have two other more "industrial" machines.  I find that with the Monster II handwheel, I can hand crank my stitches through almost anything, and as slow as I want/need to.

I didn't really have a need for the zig-zag stitching but I could have never imagined how useful that would actually be.  My sewing consists mostly of bags (totes, purses, even wallets) and there are a lot of zippers involved.  Having the ability to set the needle position to left, center or right is incredibly useful!  Just by changing the needle position I avoid having to switch to a different foot in all my cases (so far).  I do have the full variety of feet Sailrite offers, but I've yet to have needed to change.  Oh, one thing I did change early on, was the presser foot and feed dog which came with the machine.  It was a sawtooth type and too aggressive for sewing leather without leaving marks.  I changed to their "knurled" presser foot and feed dog set, and haven't had to change anything else.

I only had/have two nits about the machine... First, the small domestic-size bobbin.  I'm used to size "M" bobbins which hold a lot more thread.  So I'm often running out of bobbin thread.  The second nit was that with the clutch motor that's part of the machine, I wasn't able to get the really slow stitching that I sometimes needed.  So I used the hand wheel.  But the problem with doing that is sometimes it's hard to hold my thick assemblies in position with my left hand while turning the crank with my right.  (Not to mention needing a third hand to hold my threads at the start.

So about a month or so ago, Sailrite announced a new servo motor for the Ultrafeed machines.  Called the WorkerB.  And some "influencers" on YouTube got early test units to play with.  Watching those videos and reading the reviews blew me away and I wanted a WorkerB!  Luckily I found out that Sailrite was going to offer the WorkerB as an upgrade for existing Ultrafeed owners.  And they just released that upgrade last week.  Needless to say, I was one of the first in line to order it.

I just installed it on my LSZ-1 with Monster II wheel.  Piece of cake!  I went slowly and carefully, but the job took no more than 20 minutes.  Everything fit like a swiss watch.  And I'm sure you know how terrific the videos are that Sailrite produces... the video on retrofitting the new motor was equally well done.  Piece of cake!

The new motor is more powerful than the original, plus it's supposed to have some kind of sensing feature that supplies more power (torque?) if it detects something thicker or harder to sew.  Anyway, there's now an on/off switch also, which the original motor didn't have (I used to switch off my power bar).  There is a speed control knob at the top which lets you set the maximum sewing speed.  Meaning no matter if  you press the foot pedal to the floor, it will only sew at the maximum set speed.  It's amazing!  So I made a short video to show how slowly the machine can stitch (with the Monster II wheel it can stitch slower than with any other wheel).  In the video I have the speed control dial set to the minimum speed, and I start off just feathering the foot pedal (holding it in my hands).  Stitch by stitch slow!  And then when I fully depress the foot pedal it speeds up stitching to the maximum set by the speed control dial (set to minimum speed).

I'm lucky that as a serious hobbyist I have three machines, but I'd say that if I could only have one machine, it would be the Ultrafeed LSZ-1 with WorkerB motor.  My experience with Sailrite so far has been top notch.  The service and support (and their videos!) are I believe the best in the industry.  The Sailrite folks are a class act.

Anyone, does the video not work for you?  I've had reports that it doesn't work.  On my computer it works just fine.  I just tried from a different machine and it looked like the video was frozen, but clicking on the play button a second time got it working again.  Please let me know if you have any problems.

Thank you for the preliminary review.

I am able to download the video-file with your link, and then start the video with a video-player. I guess some readers here expect a window to play right away as a YouTube link, but this do not happen for me.

I Guess you have seen the Jason of all trades video as I have, and it do also show how the RI compensation or load compensation works - this link go directly to the sewing with the load compensation in action: https://youtu.be/Sg5XHjqHMw4?t=745

However, I am not that impressed with the speed range that Jason show. I think the lowest speed I see in video is about 20 SPM and the highest speed is about 250 SPM. My guess would be, that the motor should be able to provide a higher speed, but the power supply do not provide the power for the higher speed. But the low speed control shown is much better than the normal household motors, and I would estimate the price level to be lower than normal servo motors. The normal leather machine set up with a speed reducer and a brushless servo motor is able to provide a wider speed range in both ends. But I like how WorkerB motor makes a slow start, and you can hear it hum, before it start to move. Most brushless servo motors is more like an unpredictable jump start. And just to set the standard - this DIY motor with controller got a speed range of 8 to 540 SPM: https://youtu.be/uTB8DnyYAlA 

I think it should be relatively easy for the manufacturers of the servomotors with brushes to include a similar load compensation as the WorkerB got, so they will get less sensitivity to load changes at low speed. Perhaps some of them actually have got that.

Edited by Gymnast

Yeah, on my computer it freezes and stutters and freezes and stutters until the 00:16 second mark and then it runs smoothly for the last 00:03 seconds.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you on this machine.

Regards,

Arturo

33 minutes ago, Arturomex said:

Yeah, on my computer it freezes and stutters and freezes and stutters until the 00:16 second mark and then it runs smoothly for the last 00:03 seconds.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you on this machine.

Regards,

Arturo

Very strange... I've uploaded video here before and there never was a problem.  In any case, this was an upload directly here and not a link.  I've now uploaded the video to SmugMug and will try to link it here.  I wonder if the problem with this video is a site issue rather than a  problem with the video.  SHRUG

Here's a link... Ultrafeed LSZ-1 w/WorkerB servo

Edited by MtlBiker
Fixed link

25 minutes ago, Gymnast said:

Thank you for the preliminary review.

I am able to download the video-file with your link, and then start the video with a video-player. I guess some readers here expect a window to play right away as a YouTube link, but this do not happen for me.

I Guess you have seen the Jason of all trades video as I have, and it do also show how the RI compensation or load compensation works - this link go directly to the sewing with the load compensation in action: https://youtu.be/Sg5XHjqHMw4?t=745

However, I am not that impressed with the speed range that Jason show. I think the lowest speed I see in video is about 20 SPM and the highest speed is about 250 SPM. My guess would be, that the motor should be able to provide a higher speed, but the power supply do not provide the power for the higher speed. But the low speed control shown is much better than the normal household motors, and I would estimate the price level to be lower than normal servo motors. The normal leather machine set up with a speed reducer and a brushless servo motor is able to provide a wider speed range in both ends. But I like how WorkerB motor makes a slow start, and you can hear it hum, before it start to move. Most brushless servo motors is more like an unpredictable jump start. And just to set the standard - this DIY motor with controller got a speed range of 8 to 540 SPM: https://youtu.be/uTB8DnyYAlA 

I think it should be relatively easy for the manufacturers of the servomotors with brushes to include a similar load compensation as the WorkerB got, so they will get less sensitivity to load changes at low speed. Perhaps some of them actually have got that.

This is very strange.  I uploaded the video here directly... it wasn't a link.  I've done this before (on this site) without problem.  I don't know what the issue is... could it perhaps be a site issue rather than something with that video?

In any case, I've now uploaded it to Smugmug and have posted a link in my last message.  For anyone having trouble with the embedded video here, please try the link.

As far as the stitch speed goes, my understanding is that with the Monster II wheel (the very big and heavy wheel that's optional) you'd get the slowest speed.  Slower than with the wheel that comes with the WorkerB or the standard wheel.  Since I have the Monster II, that's the only wheel I've tried it with.  And I'm thrilled with the low speed performance.  With the sewing I'm doing I am much more concerned with slow speed control than I am about top speed.  I think my hand cranking days are over.  But I'll be giving it a full workout over the coming weekend, and maybe evenings before if I have the chance.

That Smugmug link is smooth as a pup.

I have always wondered how good the sailrite machines work compared to a 'proper' industrial sewing machine with needle feed, as the sailrites don't have that.

Then again, there's multiple youtubers (for example Jason of all Trades that Gymnast mentioned) that swear by them, even-though they have access to industrial machines as well. I suppose that is partially because of the portability? It definitely is a great option if you don't have space for a whole table, as it's either sailrite or nothing.

Also, I really enjoy their youtube videos, in which they have tutorials for making almost anything. It's awesome that a company puts out such high quality videos for free. If sailrite had better availability here in Europe I'd definitely buy from them because of this.

Looks like great speed control which can come in handy at times. The down side for some maybe the cost at $299 US or $375 CAD plus shipping.

kgg

Why don't you just reduce the XL Drive Pulley cog count on the motor?  Sailrite actually sell a 10 toothed version.  This reduces the top end speed but gives you better low end range.  

There is an 8 toothed on here  you can 3D print.  It works as expected, much slower but with the same power.  Its a bit nosier as the motor is spinning faster at the lower speeds.  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16627

I am just wondering why no one seems to mention this option. 

3 hours ago, DaveAB said:

Why don't you just reduce the XL Drive Pulley cog count on the motor?  Sailrite actually sell a 10 toothed version.  This reduces the top end speed but gives you better low end range.  

There is an 8 toothed on here  you can 3D print.  It works as expected, much slower but with the same power.  Its a bit nosier as the motor is spinning faster at the lower speeds.  

I am just wondering why no one seems to mention this option. 

You know this thread is about a year and a half old, right?

The Sailrite 10 tooth cogged pulley is discontinued, according to their website.

I was happy with my LSZ-1 with the original motor and I'm thrilled with how it works with the WorkerB servo motor.  It give me great slow speed control as well as plenty of punching power for thicker assemblies.  Not sure what your pulley would have actually improved, if anything.

3 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

You know this thread is about a year and a half old, right?

The Sailrite 10 tooth cogged pulley is discontinued, according to their website.

I was happy with my LSZ-1 with the original motor and I'm thrilled with how it works with the WorkerB servo motor.  It give me great slow speed control as well as plenty of punching power for thicker assemblies.  Not sure what your pulley would have actually improved, if anything.

yeah I knew the thread was old., it was the closest thing I could find that was relevant.  I was trying to find someone else who has reduced the pinon size on the motor but I can't. 

10 tooth cogged pulley is discontinued but they still have stock. 

I am just trying to figure out why reducing the size of the pinon gear isn't a good option,   It seems to do exactly what a lot of people want, which is improvement of low speed at the expense of high/fast speed. 

the XL 8T cog can be 3d printed from here, you do need to make the shaft a bit larger (8mm).