Zonker1972

Possible Tan Kote Issues

I built a catch-all for a friend over the last few weeks and when i applied fiebing's tan kote the piece got quite stiff. my order of operations: i tooled, the dyed with fiebing's pro dye 3x with about 2-3 hours in between coats, wait 24 hours, buff to remove excess dye, then oiled with some olive oil al la Don Gonzalez, let dry overnight and then finally coated with tan kote 2x with about 4 hours of dry time in between coats. this isn't a real big deal but my friend would like to be able to roll up the catch all and take it different places. i'm afraid that the tan kote will crack or craze. has anyone else run into this? i thought tan kote was supposed to dry to a more supple finish than resolene. is it possible i laid the tan kote on too thick? i'd like to understand why this happened as i am considering coating the motorcycle seat that i tooled with tan kote, the leather balm with atom wax did not create a good seal.

thanks in advance for the help.

I reckon the leather is just too dry. Try applying some pure neats foot oil and working the leather in your hands to loosen it up somewhat