mason1800

Making bulk stock for Belts What sizes to make?

Im looking to stock up my belts for my online store for the first time, but I'm not sure what amount of belts I should make for each size. Do you guys have an idea what sizes sell most? and or what Colors? I would hate to make a bunch of sizes that don't really sell. 

Thanks in Advance

11 minutes ago, mason1800 said:

Do you guys have an idea what sizes sell most? and or what Colors? I would hate to make a bunch of sizes that don't really sell. 

Since older people tend to have more money than younger people, and older people are typically heavier than younger people, that would suggest that you should trend toward the larger sizes.

I make all my belts up but leave them long and cut them to size when they buy them.

23 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Since older people tend to have more money than younger people, and older people are typically heavier than younger people, that would suggest that you should trend toward the larger sizes.

HAHAHA well said. I always thought it was my metabolism..lol

13 minutes ago, keplerts said:

I make all my belts up but leave them long and cut them to size when they buy them.

I would do this for a store front, but Im trying to stock up Amazon FBA.

1 hour ago, mason1800 said:

Im looking to stock up my belts for my online store for the first time, but I'm not sure what amount of belts I should make for each size. Do you guys have an idea what sizes sell most? and or what Colors? I would hate to make a bunch of sizes that don't really sell. 

Thanks in Advance

I tried that years ago . . . found out it was a losing proposition.  Make up representative belts "for show" . . . but not for stock.

If you are well set up . . .  you can get an order today . . .  and ship it tomorrow . . . only one days difference from pulling it from stock.  

All you need is the leather properly oiled and dyed . . . cut to some 55 inch length or whatever your cow's side will allow you to cut them.  

You simply then grab two pieces the same color . . . work out the ends . . . glue em together . . . punch the holes . . . sew em . . . and put the final finish on it . . . and go to bed.  Get up the next morning . . . pack and ship it.

Your customer's will not know nor care the difference of one day.  And you will not have them hanging there taking up space.  I actually still have one unsold belt in my closet . . . will one day drop it off to the salvation army.

May God bless,

Dwight

There was another discussion about this. Someone who was keeping track of his (I believe) retail sales posted this information:

Belt Size Breakdown

30" - 10           0.9%

32" - 60           2.8%

34" - 115         10.1%

36" - 220         19.3%

38" - 220         19.3%

40" - 220         19.3%

42" - 215         18.9%

44"- 110          9.6%

46" - 60           5.3%

48" - 55           4.8%

50" - 25           2.2%

52" - 25           2.2%

54" - 25           2.2%

I think there might be a flaw with the numbers in that the poster used what appears to be a total number of 1,140 belts for the percentage calculations when the total number of belts added from the column is 220 more at 1,360. That throws the percentages off but, in this individuals experience selling belts, this is more or less how it shook out.

Interesting that the biggest sellers were right around the middle.

Regards,

Arturo

@mason1800 It pays to know your own market.In the early days, most of my belts were around the 34 - 36" mark, but these days,   my belts are much bigger, waist lines have grown...and grown. I still do the small belts, but my biggest seller for my market  is around the 38 - 42" . I do assorted sizes, up to 45" , sometimes bigger than that. 

The  colour  that sells the most for my market, is black. Black goes with everything. I sell browns, tans etc, but they hang around for a  long time. 

It may be different in your part of the world  :)

HS

On 10/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, Dwight said:

I tried that years ago . . . found out it was a losing proposition.  Make up representative belts "for show" . . . but not for stock.

If you are well set up . . .  you can get an order today . . .  and ship it tomorrow . . . only one days difference from pulling it from stock.  

All you need is the leather properly oiled and dyed . . . cut to some 55 inch length or whatever your cow's side will allow you to cut them.  

You simply then grab two pieces the same color . . . work out the ends . . . glue em together . . . punch the holes . . . sew em . . . and put the final finish on it . . . and go to bed.  Get up the next morning . . . pack and ship it.

Your customer's will not know nor care the difference of one day.  And you will not have them hanging there taking up space.  I actually still have one unsold belt in my closet . . . will one day drop it off to the salvation army.

May God bless,

Dwight

yes this is what I'm currently doing right now. I build the belts as the orders come in...My idea is to make a bunch in two weeks and ship them off to Amazon warehouse and let them sit until sold. Although I hate the thought of inventory just sitting in a warehouse, this will at least keep me busy two weeks and the rest of my time i can spend on marketing.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, Arturomex said:

There was another discussion about this. Someone who was keeping track of his (I believe) retail sales posted this information:

Belt Size Breakdown

30" - 10           0.9%

32" - 60           2.8%

34" - 115         10.1%

36" - 220         19.3%

38" - 220         19.3%

40" - 220         19.3%

42" - 215         18.9%

44"- 110          9.6%

46" - 60           5.3%

48" - 55           4.8%

50" - 25           2.2%

52" - 25           2.2%

54" - 25           2.2%

I think there might be a flaw with the numbers in that the poster used what appears to be a total number of 1,140 belts for the percentage calculations when the total number of belts added from the column is 220 more at 1,360. That throws the percentages off but, in this individuals experience selling belts, this is more or less how it shook out.

Regards,

Arturo

Wow this is some good info....

On 10/8/2021 at 2:44 AM, Handstitched said:

@mason1800 It pays to know your own market.In the early days, most of my belts were around the 34 - 36" mark, but these days,   my belts are much bigger, waist lines have grown...and grown. I still do the small belts, but my biggest seller for my market  is around the 38 - 42" . I do assorted sizes, up to 45" , sometimes bigger than that. 

The  colour  that sells the most for my market, is black. Black goes with everything. I sell browns, tans etc, but they hang around for a  long time. 

It may be different in your part of the world  :)

HS

Currently my big sellers have been Black Tan and a British Brown... in sizes between 36-42 . I do have occasional smaller belts but haven't seen any bigger than 44.

7 hours ago, mason1800 said:

Currently my big sellers have been Black Tan and a British Brown... in sizes between 36-42 . I do have occasional smaller belts but haven't seen any bigger than 44.

I had a guy want me to make him a 53 inch cowboy belt . . . took a while to make it . . . 

He needed a 56 when he came to pick it up.   Fortunately I was able to salvage the job by making a new tongue and installing it for him free of charge.  

May God bless,

Dwight

I had the same thing happen with a buddy of mine. I was going to make him a belt for his birthday. I asked him forerunner his waist size and he says 54”. So I made this beautiful belt. When he came to sick it up, the belt was a good 6” too short. I quickly made a short extension and sewed it to the main belt section. I told himno charge if he ever wanted It shortened.  He had given me his pants size not his actual waist size. There is a big difference between the two. That is one reason why I don’t stock belts as there are just to many variables, length, color, finish, buckle, much like why I don’t do rings of any kind. Just to many variables.

6 hours ago, Flatcapper said:

He had given me his pants size not his actual waist size

I've experienced that as well. People would give their jean size, or measure their old belt( they measure that wrong too)  . I ask them to measure their waist with a ( tailors)  tape measure that I carry with me to markets etc.When they measure their own waist , they're surprised  how big their waist really is . A lot of the time I know what waist size they are just by looking at them. Theres been occasions where their waist size has increased  since they placed the order.  O'h dear. 

The biggest I've done is a 56" belt. I do keep a few long belts on the rack, just in case. I  also have  a handful of short belts for kids and people with tiny waist lines.  I try to cater for all sizes the best I can. 

( Off topic: I've lost count the amount of people that have tried to put a dog collar around their waist, brightens my day that does, hate to think what they eat for dinner  . :rofl:  ) 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I believe we have discussed this before; there is a 'real' size' and a 'vanity' size.  Vanity sizes are marked on men's & women's clothing without actually saying 'inches'

I pointed this out to my son and he went thru his wardrobe of trousers and belts and found this to be so.

eg. he measured up at a 35 to 36 inch waist. A lot of his trousers and some belts were marked 30, 32, or 34 - but no mention of inches. Only one pair of high quality trousers was marked 34 to 36 inches. Yet all his trousers fitted him comfortably. He was most annoyed to discover he was not in fact as thin as 32 or 34 inches. Since then he's been on a special diet and doing more cycling!

On 10/8/2021 at 2:39 AM, Arturomex said:

Belt Size Breakdown

30" - 10           0.9%

32" - 60           2.8%

34" - 115         10.1%

36" - 220         19.3%

38" - 220         19.3%

40" - 220         19.3%

42" - 215         18.9%

44"- 110          9.6%

46" - 60           5.3%

48" - 55           4.8%

50" - 25           2.2%

52" - 25           2.2%

54" - 25           2.2%

Regards,

Arturo

This sizing is accurate with 36-40 also being my most sold sizing.. we've sold hundreds of belts too.

We don't go above 50" so I don't have data about that.