Cumberland Highpower

New Servos on old machines?

I am curious about these new brushless servos.  Specifically the Sailrite Workmaster and to a lesser degree the Reliable 6000....

I never really got into servos, other than the 2 that came on things I bought.  (the brushed kind).  I removed them and installed older clutch motors, mainly as those servos had low to no torque at any lower speed.  (I do have a Randall Benchtop/horizontal burnisher that is built on a brushed type servo, but the light items I burnish on it do not really stall it out at slow speeds).

Now I see these sailrites, and on some youtube videos I see they are extremely torqueful (Is that a word?) 

Anyway, I am curious if they'll work directly without a speed reducer on older machines such as a Randall or Landis 16?   Anyone use them on an Alder 205 or a Juki 441? Do they have the guts to power a Union Lock at 600 spm?   Anyone having experience to share?   The thoughts of possibly adding a Needle Positioner is intriguing....

Thinking to order one for a bigger machine, and if it's inadequate to put on a smaller class machine.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Workhorse-Servo-Motor-110V

5 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

I am curious about these new brushless servos.  Specifically the Sailrite Workmaster and to a lesser degree the Reliable 6000....

5 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Anyway, I am curious if they'll work directly without a speed reducer on older machines such as a Randall or Landis 16? 

The motor you asked about is named the Sailrite Workhorse. It is a brushless 3/4 hp servo motor. Based on that you'd think it could power a large stitcher. But, I found this disclaimer n ear the bottom of the product page: "The Workhorse Servo Motor is not designed for use with heavyweight balance wheels like the Monster® II Balance Wheel. Use of a balance wheel like this could damage the motor and will void the warranty."

The Reliable SewQuiet 6000SM brushless DC servomotor has the same specs and may also be unable to power a heavy flywheel.

Interesting you brought that up Whiz.  I looked up the "Monster 2 balance wheel" after you pointed it out just to see what it is.. 

It's a slightly oversized handwheel/flywheel.  Looks like it's comparable to many a factory handwheel/flywheel in size..If that's a big flywheel to Sailrite I think most heavy machines would shred it!   Maybe it's just a disclaimer like "Only use factory ammunition in your new firearm"?

1 hour ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Interesting you brought that up Whiz.  I looked up the "Monster 2 balance wheel" after you pointed it out just to see what it is.. 

It's a slightly oversized handwheel/flywheel.  Looks like it's comparable to many a factory handwheel/flywheel in size..If that's a big flywheel to Sailrite I think most heavy machines would shred it!   Maybe it's just a disclaimer like "Only use factory ammunition in your new firearm"?

I've owned 2 ULS and currently run a CB4500. When I got the machine it had a brushless motor that started with a jerk at some non-zero speed. I replaced it with a brushed motor with a speed limiter dial and pot that starts at zero and smoothly increases with foot movement to the maximum allowed by my 3:1 reducer. It doesn't run fast. If I wanted fast I could swap the reducer for a 2:1 model, which I happen to have laying around.

You can buy a complete servo motor and reducer system for your ULS or C-R machines from Campbell-Randall. I have tested this setup and I can tell you that at even one half stitch per second, nothing on this earth can stop the needle and awl from moving as long as your toe is pressing down on the Go pedal! You can see it in action in the YouTube video below...

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

"The Workhorse Servo Motor is not designed for use with heavyweight balance wheels like the Monster® II Balance Wheel.

Maybe the motor has a poor electronic brake. Honestly if someone puts a disclaimer like this in a description I would not buy it.

They may not be available in the US but I love my two JACK 563 servos very much. Oldest works flawless since 2014 on a Singer 111w156 with speed reducer and the other on a Singer 45D91 with heavy flywheel and speed reducer.

I like the brushless servos so much, that I even use a 750w one to power a small metal lathe - It'll take a .030" cut in mild steel without slowing down.    Probably voided the warranty, though ;)

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

But, I found this disclaimer n ear the bottom of the product page: "The Workhorse Servo Motor is not designed for use with heavyweight balance wheels like the Monster® II Balance Wheel. Use of a balance wheel like this could damage the motor and will void the warranty."

Interesting disclaimer. I guess you would never put it on something like a old Singer 29k patcher with the old case iron hand wheel installed on the end of the main shaft. The Sailrite Monster wheel weights about 7 pounds versus their PRO Balance Wheel is roughly the same size but made of aluminum. This leads me to think run on caused by flywheel momentum maybe a problem with these sorts of motor designs. I couldn't find the same sort of disclaimer for the Reliable 6000 motor. 

I run on my machines 550 watt brushed motors with a the speed limiter dial and pot and so far have not had a problem.

kgg

I'm debating to order a sailrite or a Reliable to try out.   I'm looking for max low speed torque.  

Kgg I have surplus brushed 550W servos that came off  machines and a Randall VSB "Burnisher" built on one by Randall.  I wonder if these are they types you are using?  I can get close to zero torque out of any of them.   The burnisher works ok, I run it about 500RPM's on 4-6 oz leather items. I don't think i it could work on anything else without stalling.

My Galli FCE has a DC motor on it mounted on front for burnishing and it has a great amount of torque and uses the same wheels as the Randall VSB I have.   Makes me think those 550w motors aren't really very good?

What is the largest machine you run with the 550w servos?

1 hour ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Kgg I have surplus brushed 550W servos that came off  machines

I have the 550 watt brushed motors with a the speed limiter dial and pot on a two Juki flatbeds (DNU -1541S, Juki DU-1181N) and also a cylinder bed KOBE clone of the Juki LS-1341. None off my machines have a speed reducer pulley installed. The brand / label on these motors are KOBE which is similar to all the other brush servo motor brands. I think they probably are using the same design or coming from the same manufacturer and then branded / labeled XXXX. I do have another new spare 550 watt servo branded / labeled Rex and you can't tell them apart.

If you are planning on the Sailrite or Reliable with the standard domestic motor on them I would suggest installing the larger pulley wheel which Sailrite calls the Monster wheel. Sailrite does have a replacement motor called the Worker B which is just a straight swap out that should give you much better torque and speed control but a bit pricey.

kgg

Edited by kgg
missing sentence