Sign in to follow this  
Cumberland Highpower

what is this part on a Landis 16?

Contact Eli Schalbach at Landis Sewing In Port Aurthur, IL.  He rebuilds them.

glenn

I'm just curious on what that part does.

I have a pair of Landis 16's sitting around.  I noticed neither of mine don't have this part, it must not have any real function in practical use?

Funny you mention Eli, I saw him at an auction this summer.   Talked a bit.  At the time I thought to maybe giving the tight machine a real good going over and keeping it to sew on.   We briefly talked, and he seemed pretty friendly.  However, the moment I asked if parts were available he instantly started making a scowling face and turning side to side in an effort to evade any further conversation.  Just said "Yeah parts are available" and walked off.  Literally, it was a reaction that would have been no different if I had ripped a really rank quantity of gas right under his nose.  I was astonished by such a lack of professionalism.  My next question would have been along the lines of perhaps doing a restoration on  the one, or at least I'd remove the puller assembly and send it back to IL with him to rebuild if he had parts for it. (the only part that seems to have any play in it). I guess I didn't get that far.

I'm still thinking it, although now I feel less inclined.  I like the look of the 16's but I pretty much get the feeling they've become a dead end, obsolete machine.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

Unusual for Eli.  I would still call him.  He is the leading expert on the Landis 16 right now!  aaaaaaaaaaaaa   Something pissed him off for sure but what?  I give people 2 chances.  Like James Bond said. " Once is chance, twice is coincidence,  3 times is enemy action!"

Glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

I know Eli personally, having worked closely with him for several days a couple years ago in preparing for an auction.  We visit on the phone every once in awhile, and met again this past July at the harness makers auction in Wisconsin.  I have to say I have never had anything but great and generous advice from Eli. I might add that I have never purchased anything from him, in fact we have bid against each other for the same machine parts multiple times and still always had a civil conversation following. His behavior experienced by the OP sounds quite out of character.  I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day once in awhile?

On 10/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Cumberland Highpower said:

What is this part on a Landis 16? The cast iron part with a couple curves cast into it, right above the threading/take up arm door?

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 8.30.12 AM.png

Sorry I can’t be of more help as to what that part does but that is a picture of my Landis 16 machine. It was on there when I got it. 

I ordered a few parts for this machine from Eli. He was pretty much the only person around that I found that new anything about these machines or had parts for it.