Carverdw

Leather Folding Device

Hello. I make cowboy style hats.  These hats have a wire sewn into the folded edge of the brim. I currently manually fold the brim with my fingers as I sew on my machine. Is there an attachment that I can install on my machine to automatically fold the leather around the wire as I sew? I am using 3.5 - 5 oz. leather. Thanks.

There is a leather "folding" machine that has small metal fingers that folds the leather over.  Usually a skived edge with some glue on it.   I don't know if a folder can handle a wire inserted in it though?  Perhaps with the right feet?    I see really ancient ones from a century or so ago pop up used on occasion.  I think you can get new folders.  Maybe Galli or Bibo or Bimac makes....Call Dan Naegle.

A good.friend of mine did lots of hats and she had a device to attach to her sewing machine to do just that.

I believe she said that she had it made at a custom sewing machine attachment company. 

It's a wire binder foot. Unfortunately she passed away a few months ago, so I can ask her.

We did discuss it a number of years ago and there is a very remote possibility that I archived the info. I'll look when I get home

Tom G, I would appreciate any info you may have.

Dave

Carverdw

On 10/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, Carverdw said:

Hello. I make cowboy style hats.  These hats have a wire sewn into the folded edge of the brim. I currently manually fold the brim with my fingers as I sew on my machine. Is there an attachment that I can install on my machine to automatically fold the leather around the wire as I sew? I am using 3.5 - 5 oz. leather. Thanks.

Is it possible to show any pictures of how the edge is turned and folded? Brim fold up and over the wire? Any glue used? What type of machine are you using? What thickness wire and how bendable/flexible is it?

11 hours ago, Carverdw said:

Tom G, I would appreciate any info you may have.

Dave

Carverdw

Sorry Dave,
I totally forgot to look.
However, I DID look this morning and all I found was a couple of photos of a leather edge binder attachment. It is similar to one I have, but seldom use. You may be able to adjust the amount of 'tunnel' that it leaves and then pass a wire through itm then had sew the rear opeing closed. Be sure to overlap the end though.
As for the wire feed binder, it seems that she had them in a Picassa folder, but apparently, her brother or other family member deleted her account there. A real shame as she was the most sharing lady I ever had the pleasure to meet. MY wife and I would go visit her and enjoyed just shooting the breeze with her. But she had tons of patterns, photos and other stuff on Picassa that is now forever lost.
Anyway, I'll post the pics of what I do have here.
Tom

Binder Attachment 1.jpg

Binder Attachment 2.jpg

Binder Attachment 3.jpg

Binder Attachment 4.jpg

Binder Attachment 5.jpg

Binder Attachment 6.jpg

Edited by TomG

Ah, interesting.   That's a binder in the photos.  I guess hats have a wire inserted into a leather binding "tape" sewn onto these hats?    

From the OP's posting, I had the idea the OP was folding a skived edge of the brim back over a wire....

9 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Ah, interesting.   That's a binder in the photos.  I guess hats have a wire inserted into a leather binding "tape" sewn onto these hats?    

From the OP's posting, I had the idea the OP was folding a skived edge of the brim back over a wire....

It does seem like it. But I was just passing alternate info.

I believe her attachment was basically the same, but did indeed have a feeder for the wire to be inserted.
I think she said that she had it made by some custom binder maker in maybe Atlanta?

I think I found it.
I believe that she had it made here:
https://www.atlatt.com/
Call and tell them what you are needing and they should be able to advise you.

I would have liked to see the method used on the hats but anyways, as the OP Dave is from Tennessee I would think that these guys here should be able to help better than anyone else I can think of - https://www.youtube.com/user/TennesseeAttachment/videos

I was just curious as I make a range of different folders and such myself.