Spyros

Bicycle saddlebag

I wanted to make a custom saddlebag for my bike because I couldn't really find exactly the shape and size I wanted.  

But man this took longer than I thought... I didn't have a pattern or anything, I was designing it as I was making it sort of thing, with my bicycle on the side and trying it on for size and shape as I went.   

Very thick leather, stitching was a pain with the thickest thread I have, I had to cut grooves and skive in a bunch of places to get the leather to fold, careful burnishing because I know it will see some weather and I wanted to seal it well so it lasts a few years, kangaroo reinforcements in a couple of places, sealing the flesh side with tan kote, removable straps because I know that's the first piece I'll have to replace eventually, finishing with oil and waxes etc.   Happy how it turned out though :)

5-XL.jpg

6-XL.jpg

7-X2.jpg

8-XL.jpg

9-X2.jpg

It turned out wonderful.  It fits the bike perfectly and looks like a quality bag.  You’ll get many years use out of that. Nice job all around. 

9 minutes ago, BoxerMel said:

It turned out wonderful.  It fits the bike perfectly and looks like a quality bag.  You’ll get many years use out of that. Nice job all around. 

Thanks, I hope so.  I don't want to make it again any time soon LOL

The saddle post has this sort of suspension mechanism and I know this will rub against the bag, so I put a kangaroo layer just there.  And tried to waterproof it as much as possible all around, but at the end of the day it is veg tan leather and eventually the rainwater will get to it.  Just want it to last as much as possible.

I used to have a polyester "fabric" bag that I bought from the local bike shop (not very cheap either), which was fine, but after a couple of years the straps started to fray and I just couldn't trust it anymore to hold my wallet.

IMG_20200502_120210-X2.jpg

Edited by Spyros

I purchased some kangaroo a couple of years ago and used it to make a ball cap. I noticed it was different than other hide I’ve worked with.  I am a new leather worker.  I’ve only  been doing it for about 3 years so I am still very ‘OJT’ as I go.  So much to learn!!  What can you tell me about kangaroo?  Why did you use it the way you did?

13 minutes ago, BoxerMel said:

I purchased some kangaroo a couple of years ago and used it to make a ball cap. I noticed it was different than other hide I’ve worked with.  I am a new leather worker.  I’ve only  been doing it for about 3 years so I am still very ‘OJT’ as I go.  So much to learn!!  What can you tell me about kangaroo?  Why did you use it the way you did?

Yeah it's a weird kind of leather, it has this unique fibre structure on the skin that makes it extremely durable even though it only comes in one thickness: very thin (usually just under 1mm).  So if you need a thin and extremely durable leather you can't beat roo skins.  The industry uses it for things that require durability like high end motorcycle suits, football boots and whips, and it would get a lot more use except the hides are always small so you'll never get a big piece or a long strap out of it, and the supply is limited and inconsistent.  Kangaroo is actually a protected species, the way I understand it is they only harvest it by exception in places where the animals causing problems like destroying farming fences or jumping in high speed roads etc.   You can still find small quantities easily in Australia but it's not abundant like bovine leather. 

It's kind of boring looking though, so I only really use it for reinforcements. 

Edited by Spyros

Nice looking saddlebag there.  A lot of thought went into that.  I hope it serves you well for many years!

YinTx

Love it. Nice design and sturdy as can be as well.

That looks very classy. The only thing I can add is that since it is black anyway, you could soak that piece in beeswax and never have to worry about weather. Well, maybe a tornado, but rain and mud would bead right off.

great job friend very nice and clean looking.

That turned out great. It's especially impressive because without a pattern you're pretty much improvising every detail.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

4 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

That turned out great. It's especially impressive because without a pattern you're pretty much improvising every detail.

Yeah I don't generally use patterns, it kind of kills my creative juices :D

I like to design as I cut the leather.  Of course sometimes it means I start going for a bag and I end up with a wallet LOL

As a fellow cyclist, I'm loving the function, design, and aesthetic! A perfect vibe match for your bike.

BTW, best wishes during the lockdowns. Every country is handling different, and each approach has its pros/cons. No judgment intended, just best wishes. 

Edited by papaleaf
add BTW text

On 10/11/2021 at 1:05 AM, Spyros said:

Yeah I don't generally use patterns, it kind of kills my creative juices :D

THIS!!  My wife rolls her eyes how I go about 'designing'.  LOL!  

That is a really nice custom bike bag

I really like the silhouette and lines on this, it's a great looking bag.