zuludog

Childproof Caps!

One of my pet hates is the childproof caps where you have to press down as well as turn to open, such as those on Fiebings dye

Sometimes I pour the dye into old jam or pickle jars, but I don't have any for my latest delivery

So, please, does anyone know how to glue, jam, or otherwise fix those lids so that they can be opened simply, just by turning?

I have a similar problem with bottles of model plane glue, but I solved that by buying Japanese glue, which have ordinary caps

Hah!   Fear Not!

After a quick Search on YouTube I've found an answer --

1)  Remove the cap by the intended press & twist method

2) Insert a slim screwdriver into the upturned cap, between the inner & outer parts, and prise out the inner cap

3) Just carry on using the inner cap on its own, as an ordinary cap

Was going to suggest that. Glad that you found it. Ours don't have safety caps this side of the Atlantic.

They are actually called Senior Proof Caps, I have other not-for-children names for them.

2 hours ago, Squid61 said:

They are actually called Senior Proof Caps, I have other not-for-children names for them.

:lol:  Me too, Squid! We have them in Canada, and they are a terrible PITA!  Glad to know that trick with the inner cap, will give it a try! 

One way I've tried to avoid trouble with opening them is making sure I wipe both the threads on the bottle and the cap before closing the cap. If the buildup of dye doesn't come off with a simple wipe, I'll wipe them down with alcohol. 

Another really annoying thing about them is they are supposed to be childproof, but they sure aren't LEAKPROOF!! And you'd think that would be one of the most important features of a bottle that contains dye!  :ranting2:

To deal with the leakage, I keep them in plastic sandwich bags, inside a clear plastic storage container with a lid.

You can get bottles suitable for dye storage at craft stores. Michal's has dropper bottles with caps, and also larger clear plastic bottles with a spout that flips up. I bought some of the latter, but have never gotten around to using them for some reason.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Was going to suggest that. Glad that you found it. Ours don't have safety caps this side of the Atlantic.

You don't live in Canada, battlemunky! They are all too common here!   :thumbsdown:

At least my pharmacy has designed a bottle for the medication caps that allows you to disable the child-proof feature by removing a small tab on the cap, or I'd likely be leaving my pills sitting in the cupboard WITHOUT a cap on them!

Unfortunately, can't do that with liquids...

Edited by Sheilajeanne

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

:lol:  Me too, Squid! We have them in Canada, and they are a terrible PITA!  Glad to know that trick with the inner cap, will give it a try! 

Search YT for 'how to disable childproof caps'; there are a few methods

Many bottles have the same standard thread, so if you have a bottle with a child proof cap, try using a cap from a fizzy drinks bottle, or  just pour the liquid from a childproof cap bottle into a plain cap bottle, but make sure you remove or thoroughly obscure the label 

but make sure you remove or thoroughly obscure the label 

:whistle:  I once made the mistake of putting cayenne pepper in an Italian seasoning bottle and not removing the label. I knew what was in there, and even if I forgot, the colour of the contents should have been a dead giveaway.

Then, my diabetic friend who has poor eyesight was doing some cooking in my kitchen...:blink:

Fortunately, I caught her before she put too much into what she was cooking!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

You don't live in Canada, battlemunky! They are all too common here!   :thumbsdown:

Ahhh, I did take a bit of a Murica centric approach to that, apologies. Sucks y'all have them too up there. I'm actually surprised we don't have them here to be honest.

For small caps that give me trouble, I pull out the old nutcracker that's been in my family for generations! 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:07 AM, zuludog said:

. . . 

2) Insert a slim screwdriver into the upturned cap, between the inner & outer parts, and prise out the inner cap

. . . 

I didn't realise it was so easy!

I did this the other evening to a cap on a bottle of latex moulding rubber

In the past I was cutting the outer shell off with wire cutters and pliers!

But for the most part I've just been replacing the caps with others from other bottles