beltbuckles

chrome tan.. mold or melted

so i have piles of chrome tanned leather in my garage... 

in the past, i had them in my basement and i got some mold so i threw a bunch away..

now that i moved and they are in the garage.. i had some pieces that kinda stuck together cause it gets hot down here. 

now, im not sure if the color transfered off one onto the other?

or if its just mold again?

or its just dirt or grimey?

i hope it just transfered color, but not sure...   when unfolded the leather, it stuck within itsself and i had to somewhat peel it off of itsself, nothing major..

thoughts?   ill try to get some pics

1 minute ago, beltbuckles said:

2 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Is it worth the trouble? Personally, I'd trash it.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

:16:

image0.jpeg

Edited by beltbuckles

Was that tan/brown skin sticking to the cream skin? If so try a little rubbing on the cream one with a clean rag dampened with some isopropyl alcohol and see if it removes it. The tan brown coloured one looks to be a sprayed semi alanine effect which would have a top coat that sometimes does not adhere as well. Rubbing that one would probably remove more of the top coat and make a mess so be careful.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Was that tan/brown skin sticking to the cream skin? If so try a little rubbing on the cream one with a clean rag dampened with some isopropyl alcohol and see if it removes it. The tan brown coloured one looks to be a sprayed semi alanine effect which would have a top coat that sometimes does not adhere as well. Rubbing that one would probably remove more of the top coat and make a mess so be careful.

as long as its not mold, im not too worried about it..   some of it stuck, but  im not sure if that is were the marks were from...  have you had anything like this?

35 minutes ago, beltbuckles said:

have you had anything like this

Yes on badly packaged stock when I moved years ago. With some of these leathers they have a fair amount of what is called feel agent (silicons/waxes etc) and some not enough. Most should be fairly slippery to the touch but amazingly a lot of cream colours don't have much of it applied. Some whites get dirty just lookin at them I reckon.:(