Sign in to follow this  
beltbuckles

juki 5550 timing

so im working on the timing for my juki 5550.  im having some troubles with it...  i watched a great video that explained everything..   I lined up the notch on the needle bar (the bottom line) so its flush with the cover part, right when the hook is about halfway past the needle..   i adjusted the distance from the hook to the needle so the needle is right next to the hook but not touching.. very very close. 

the machine runs a few stiches but then its skips a bit...    also the thread shreds... 

any ideas?

Time the hook so it intersects the needle about 1/16 inch above the eye after the needle has risen about 3/32 of an inch above BDC.

Also, make sure the needle is aligned with the rib on the left and the scarf on the right. Ensure your needle is the proper size for the thread and proper type of point for the material (round for cloth and wovens, and oval/wedge, tripoint, or diamond for leather).

Check the motion of the check spring. It must lift with the take-up lever and keep the top thread taut until the needle fully pierces the material. If it stops moving down too soon the needle will pierce the thread and rat it. Adjust the bottom motion stop bracket up or down as required.