wheeldawg

How to remove the fibrous rear layer from ostrich leather

I searched both here and the internet in general, and could not find anything about how to do this. The piece I have is very fibrous on the back. I am hoping there is an easy way, or something better than just trying to get it off with my fingers.

Thanks!

A picture of how bad it is could help. If it is done by a very slack tannery then it can be quite difficult without the right machinery. Just pulling at it can make parts of it super thin and do quite a bit of damage. Generally I use techniques that are suitable for the product I wish to make it into. Generally on smaller products I like to use a band knife splitter that has a top roller. The reason for the top roller is that the best direction to feed the quill area in is with the lower larger side of the quill mussel going in first as that helps to not get under cut holes under the bumps. On larger bags I tend to use a belt sander and try not to go too heavy or deep. Trimming lightly with some scissors is sometimes needed to avoid the bulk coming together and catching the hide up into the sander. Sanding back is not very easy as sometimes the hide will be soft fibre near to alright through the skin. Practice on some of the flank parts where the quills are lighter first. The neck area IS too thin to sand normally. Cutting out your pieces a good bit oversize before sanding or splitting makes it easier and safer.  

Thanks!.

I used a wire brush first, which helped with using scissors next, and I stretched it around a roll of duct tape, flesh side out, so I could get good approach to the fibers standing up. It is some scrap pieces I got from Springfield. I am making myself a skull cap for riding the bike. I was trying to remove it so it would not be so hot to wear.

I appreciate the input.

Have you tried just shaving off the worst then pasting/ gluing the rear of the piece?

I'm not going to be attaching it to anything, was just trying to reduce the thickness/furriness, as it will be on my head riding the motorcycle. I am making a head cover to tie on my head when riding. I figured with all that on the underside, it would be hot. It'll be hot enough, just being leather, so may make little difference.

Thanks

On 10/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, wheeldawg said:

I figured with all that on the underside, it would be hot. It'll be hot enough, just being leather, so may make little difference.

Probably hotter in the sun if you remove the 'furry' stuff.  The furry stuff would act as insulation since it would trap air, same as most other insulations work.  Since much of the top of my head is mostly bald, my leather hat becomes very hot to wear in the sun.  That bit of insulation I used to have made a lot of difference.

I have no idea what it is called. I use it to make the leather thinner and to get rid of the fuzzies

If their are still fuzzies left after I use this then I use some stuff call toka {whatever I can not pronounce it much less spell it}

and rub it with a deer tine,  some folks use a glass 

001.JPG.a29dfae46ab91a986525ce4551b39c2f.JPG

Edited by Frodo

6 hours ago, Frodo said:

If their are still fuzzies left after I use this then I use some stuff call toka {whatever I can not pronounce it much less spell it}

Someone here misspelled it "Tokolove" and that's what I've been calling it since :D

8 hours ago, Frodo said:

I have no idea what it is called

I think that is a CS Osborne 925 Skife.  

YinTx

It’s a safety skiver