Nims8582

Pfaff 1245 bobber shuttle won’t spin

Hey guys my name is Paul and I’m new here. I rebind leather on Bibles and I just bought a Pfaff 1245. I will admit I don’t know much about sewing. I was able to get it to work properly, and then upon changing the thread, while sewing, the needle poked through the thread and got bound up. Now the bobbin mechanism (shuttle) won’t spin and I’m trying to figure out why. When it bound up, I did smell something from the motor, but everything but the bobbin mechanism (shuttle) appears to still be working properly. It had been sitting for quite a while so it could’ve been heated up dust for all I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated on figuring out how to get the bobbin mechanism (shuttle) to spin and fixed. And I’m not talking about just the bobbin with the thread, I’m talking about the entire mechanism (shuttle) that the Bobbin goes into.

Thanks guys.

6 hours ago, Nims8582 said:

I will admit I don’t know much about sewing.

I was able to get it to work properly, and then upon changing the thread, while sewing, the needle poked through the thread and got bound up. Now the bobbin mechanism (shuttle) won’t spin and I’m trying to figure out why.

I did smell something from the motor ?

And I’m not talking about just the bobbin with the thread, I’m talking about the entire mechanism (shuttle) that the Bobbin goes into.

1st post ? .. 1st sewing machine ? .. You got a few things going on there ? .

People on the forum could ( guess ? ) explain any number of possible different 'cause of problem' scenarios for you to pick and  choose from .
but .. Your already saying that your way over your head, lacking  mechanical knowledge for the machine diagnosis and repair . Don't Punish Yourself .  Fix it fast and correctly the 1st time , find/hire a Tech. to assess the problem and do what is needed .

edit add:
Where do you live ?
unless you are isolated area away from civilization ...LOL , and repair Tech. is impossible to find or you drive to his location .
Get a factory model schematics parts diagram, then off the list of problem/fix possibilities you collect here . Start studying and take your time in finding and fixing the problems .

Edited by nylonRigging

You'll have to get the thread unwound from the bobbin case before using the machine again. If there is a stub long enough to grab, try pulling the thread out as you wiggle the hand wheel (unthread the needle first). If the thread won't come out, the bobbin case will have to be removed and that is not really for newbies. If you must do this yourself, have a magnetic pickup tool nearby as you remove the tiny screws that hold the bracket on that secures the bobbin basket in the shuttle. Better yet, magnetize the small blade screwdriver.

42 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

If the thread won't come out, the bobbin case will have to be removed

I agree try and get the bobbin case and thread or anything else that may be there from the previous owners use out.

8 hours ago, Nims8582 said:

When it bound up, I did smell something from the motor, but everything but the bobbin mechanism (shuttle) appears to still be working properly.

If you can slowly hand-wheel the needle up and down chances are the safety clutch (hook drive) has disengaged and needs to be reset from the under side of the machine once you get the bobbin and tangled thread out.

There is a pin that needs to be pushed back in and you need to turn the hand wheel in the reverse direction until you hear it snap back in place. The procedure is on page 18 of the PFAFF 245 / 1245 Instruction Manual for the old German casing.

kgg