fredk

Lolly/Lollipop/Popsicle sticks and other sticks

The theme is split off from Sheilajeanne's 'Tandy Pro Stitching Chisels' thread as it was tending to wander off the topic.

Whatever you call them; Lolly, popsicle, tongue-depressors, they have a multitude of uses in leatherwork

From simply stirring and applying glues to use under the jaws of clamps to stop the clamps marking leather.

You can get these bits of wood in several widths

1. about 5 or 6mm wide - known as coffee stirrers. A lot of these are actually made of grass, aka bamboo

2. Standard lolly/popsicle sticks - about 10mm wide

3. Standard wide - about 14mm wide

4. Extra wide - about 18mm wide

5. Standard slim - about 8mm wide.

I usually have plenty of #1, #2  &  #4 about the working desk

I check and keep good straight sticks to one side. They are useful for quick rulers. eg, If I want to mark a stitching line 6mm from the edge I just use a coffee stirrer, or, when I make draw-string bags I fold over the top 10mm, this can be quickly marked using #2

I keep bent sticks for breaking or cutting up for pieces to go under clamps. This will stop the clamps marking the leather and also spreads the clamping pressure

Lolly stick uses, 01LWs.jpg

Other uses, in another hobby I glue wet & dry grit paper to the sticks for sanding sticks

I also use them when painting my Hnefatafl men. 4 on an 18mm wide stick

Hnefatafl men, 02LWs.jpg

One thing I can't really show you; I have no access to wood-turning. I wanted a wood cylinder to make dice cups around. I glued about 160 coffee-stirrers around an old paint spray can until I got a good depth of wood and the diameter of cylinder that suited me. The coffee- stirrer 'slats; are now covered in a masking tape so you cant see them right now otherwise I'd show a photo

A piece of stick carefully worked and sized can be glued in between two layers of leather to give support around a hard-to-open snap/popper

and what do you use Lolly/Lollipop/Popsicle sticks for?

sorry cant resist my vote is for a Fab lolly stick

i glue sand paper of various grits to them to sharpen my awls and such and to spread glue on larger pieces. I also use them in my other hobbies as well.  in the US you can buy them at craft stores if you are some kind of ice-cream hater. Me i like to get them the hard way.

i also use them to shim door hinges lol.

There is a way to put them together to form a star shape and as kids we would throw them like frisbees, they explode/ come apart when they hit something. 

I use plastic and wood coffee stirrers to apply edge paint.  Works a treat.  They last a long time because I rinse them and reuse.

In HS physics class, we divided up into teams to build bridges using nothing but popsicle sticks and glue, and then tested them for strength.  My team won.  :)

But now they have many uses around the house both as part of leatherwork and many other things as well. In addition to what's listed above they're useful in tons of ways.  From just a stick to try to get out little objects that roll under things to scraping and serving goopy things in the kitchen to forming a support for small sculptures and plastic models.   Who knew such a simple thing could find so many uses.

You can, of course, buy them unused at hobby shops and such - but it's more fun to buy the popsicles, eat them and get the sticks that way!

- Bill