Someone I know swears by the use of LARD to condition  leather. I used tallow one time when I was a teen and it caused the leather to mold. Is lard a good leather conditioner? I would think it would go rancid and attract mice out in the barn. Any  thoughts? Personally, I stick with neats foot, but always open to new ideas. Thanks!

Good quality lard is the rendered fats from either cows or pigs. Unless its marked as pig lard its usually from cattle. Its one step less pure than NFO. When making NFO some fats solids need to be taken off, this is the same as purified lard.

However, much lard you buy for cooking has additives in it. Additives such as salt and food preservatives. If you want to try lard get the fats from a local butcher then render it down yourself. You'll get tallow and lard and a thin oil. Tallow to to make (very stinky) candles, lard and oil suitable for cooking.

I think that applied lightly and well rubbed in lard will be alright on leather

I agree with Fred.  Unless you literally saturate the leather I don't think you need to worry about anything.  Try it, use it sparingly and then see what you think.  Personally I doubt there will be issues with excessive odor and/or bugs.  

Now the product that remains is another story.  I'm guessing you'll have to keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from smelling.  Another thing you could try is shortening.  And that is something which doesn't require refrigeration.  Never tried it.  Maybe someone has?

39 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

. . .   Another thing you could try is shortening.  And that is something which doesn't require refrigeration.  Never tried it.  Maybe someone has?

Here 'shortening' is a blend of lard and vegetable oils. Where lard is quite hard 'shortening' is softer. I guess it could be used, in very limited quantities, as well

It would work in a pinch,  say, you ran out of NFO and absolutely had to have some oil RIGHT NOW,  but.....  If it ain't broke, why fix it?  NFO is well proven on leather.  Lard is well proven in the skillet.

2 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

Someone I know swears by the use of LARD to condition  leather. I used tallow one time when I was a teen and it caused the leather to mold. Is lard a good leather conditioner? I would think it would go rancid and attract mice out in the barn. Any  thoughts? Personally, I stick with neats foot, but always open to new ideas. Thanks!

So the short answer is yes, lard and even Tallow are good for leather. In fact, tallow and even lard is often used in the tanning and finishing process, it's called "fatliquoring". Lard however is typically derived from pigs. Tallow is rendered from cattle. When rendered properly, both are shelf stable , require no refrigeration and won't go rancid(oxidize is what people are really referring to when they use the word rancid with leather). Outside of a tannery, most uses of tallow is found in conditioning products with other ingredients, like beeswax, Lanolin, and usually vitamin E(this is what retards any risk of any ingredient oxidizing in a product). Using it alone, without other mixed ingredients and applying it directly to finished leather may not be the best way to use it effectively. Here is an example of a leather conditioning product that utilizes Tallow in its ingredients. https://coloradoleatherbalm.com

12 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

So the short answer is yes, lard and even Tallow are good for leather. In fact, tallow and even lard is often used in the tanning and finishing process, it's called "fatliquoring". Lard however is typically derived from pigs. Tallow is rendered from cattle. When rendered properly, both are shelf stable , require no refrigeration and won't go rancid(oxidize is what people are really referring to when they use the word rancid with leather). Outside of a tannery, most uses of tallow is found in conditioning products with other ingredients, like beeswax, Lanolin, and usually vitamin E(this is what retards any risk of any ingredient oxidizing in a product). Using it alone, without other mixed ingredients and applying it directly to finished leather may not be the best way to use it effectively. Here is an example of a leather conditioning product that utilizes Tallow in its ingredients. https://coloradoleatherbalm.com

Great information.  We don't know what sort of lard the OP was referring to, but I was making an assumption that cost was one of the influencers in choosing to use it.  The balm you linked to is $8.99 for 2 oz., not exactly cheap in my book.   It also has scent added, which could be a positive or negative, depending.  

7 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Great information.  We don't know what sort of lard the OP was referring to, but I was making an assumption that cost was one of the influencers in choosing to use it.  The balm you linked to is $8.99 for 2 oz., not exactly cheap in my book.   It also has scent added, which could be a positive or negative, depending.  

This person uses cooking lard that he keeps in the fridge. 

Great information guys. I was intrigued by it, so I just had to ask.  Now I know what to use if I'm ever in a pinch.

Old people here used to cook with it. Big seller was 5 gallon “lard stands” to store it after rendering. Makes a great but greasy fried pie Still a lady here that sells homemade lard fried pies. When times got hard lard sandwiches were made.