11 hours ago, Squid61 said:

There are a lot of very good leathers that don't cost what Herman Oak costs.  To read this thread one would think anything less the the best is crap leather, nonsense.  I buy what I can afford and make it look like it should cost more, it's what craftsmanship is about.  I also don't sell; I do occasionally make to order with the "customer" selecting and paying for the leather, labor is free, it's my hobby not a business.

Don't worry about it, it's just me being a contrarian as per normal.

@johnnydb  Thanks for reminding me of the iron - should work for heating a creaser...

Edited by Klara

10 hours ago, dikman said:

ANY hobby I take up (and there have been a few) always seems to turn out expensive!:rolleyes:

Compared to most forms of horseback riding leatherwork is ridiculously cheap. And I have feeling that you can spend a fortune on model airplanes - without having anything to show for it (except to other enthousiasts). Whereas with leather we make things we can actually use in daily life.

1 hour ago, Klara said:

@johnnydb  Thanks for reminding me of the iron - should work for heating a creaser...

For stamps and stuff I just bought the cheapest heat gun from the hardware store, $20 or so

Just easy and fast... useful for activating glue as well.

Edited by Spyros

On 10/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, Klara said:

Because with the cheap stuff I'm not afraid of messing up. 

Cheap leathers are good for 'prototypes projects, or that thingame-bob you've just invented.

On 10/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, RockyAussie said:

Don't  start with crocodylus porosus.

I have worked with Salty leather, a few back straps,  I didn't dare stuff it up  :) big $$$$$ if I did  !!! 

@dikman My Mother did cake decorating in a past life, damn good at it too. She made a cake for a fancy do, very  pretty and ornate delicate lines &   scroll work,   about 6 -8+ hrs work.. at the do, ..some stupid kid  destroyed  it in  less than 5 secs.  :bawling:  I could see the the expression on Mums face, like she wanted to do something rather unpleasant to the kid. 

HS

5 hours ago, Spyros said:

For stamps and stuff I just bought the cheapest heat gun from the hardware store, $20 or so

Just easy and fast... useful for activating glue as well.

Yeah but it won't iron my shirt or the cloth I line a project with...just saying. 

Edited by johnnydb

6 hours ago, Klara said:

Compared to most forms of horseback riding leatherwork is ridiculously cheap. And I have feeling that you can spend a fortune on model airplanes - without having anything to show for it (except to other enthousiasts). Whereas with leather we make things we can actually use in daily life.

As someone who did spend a lot of money on RC Airplanes...

Radios start at $300 and the engines start at $150 then there's the plane itself made by hand....it gets expensive quickly. 

And then you crash your plane...the parts can be salvaged usually...but often it's a do it all over again. 

Edited by johnnydb

As I'm cheap I'm trying to learn to crash carefully with a € 120 RTF park flyer. Don't intend to get really into the hobby, I just want a toy for my dog to chase. But for the moment, gravity wins too soon...

What I found that helped me a lot in the very beginning was to learn a bit on $30 special oil tan hides from Springfield. If you call them and order over the phone they will go hand pick a side for you. Just ask for something that has a nice firm hand. I'm not really sure but maybe some of those are combination tanned or something because I bought 2 of these sides once and I could have sworn they were veg. They burnished nicely, weren't all floppy like you expect from oil tan. They were also 4oz, so it wasn't because they were thick. Ive tried working with other chrome tans in the past, I would go to Goodwill or other flea markets to find cheap leather jackets and bags and try to use that leather. You live and learn because most of the time it was a complete waste because those leather weren't good for much. But the cheap side from Springfield really helped me. Again, CALL them and they will set you straight

johnnydb I have built several rubber powered planes, scratch and kit, and have spent more money and time on those than most of my utility grade leather projects and I haven't had one leather project disintegrate on impact.  I own no machinery so my only real expense variable has been in the cost of leather; same tools, techniques and finish products for a checkbook cover as a fine clutch purse.

I buy most of my general project leather, veg and chrome, from Weaver's and Springfield; both outfits sell the better stuff as well at decent prices when needed for my classier projects and they both have always been a pleasure to deal with.

It really depends on what you want at the end as well. I'm a cosplayer and I've repurposed a TON of the leather I got at goodwill into very serviceable gear for costumes. A black leather party dress was once a bunch of $3 leather skirts (there was one goodwill that was really good for leather skirts, joked it was because there were strip clubs nearby LOL). In my area, bulk trash day is when the cool stuff is put on the curb. I've seen what were once leather couches reduced to the frame from people scavenging the leather. A source that I was clued in to ages ago - tack shops. Places where they make saddles and such. You might be able to piggy back on an order and get it at their costs or relieve them of some scrap. IMO when you're learning, you don't need the AAA+++ grade stuff. You're going to make mistakes. And as was said, it's less painful to mess up cheap stuff than the primo. As your skills get better, then you start getting better materials. Good Luck!

7 hours ago, Squid61 said:

johnnydb I have built several rubber powered planes, scratch and kit, and have spent more money and time on those than most of my utility grade leather projects and I haven't had one leather project disintegrate on impact.  I own no machinery so my only real expense variable has been in the cost of leather; same tools, techniques and finish products for a checkbook cover as a fine clutch purse.

I buy most of my general project leather, veg and chrome, from Weaver's and Springfield; both outfits sell the better stuff as well at decent prices when needed for my classier projects and they both have always been a pleasure to deal with.

I agree...I have yet to buy anything from Springfield or Weaver yet...

Just nervous about buying anything sight unseen. I've been told they have some great deals on leather and supplies....just haven't pulled the trigger yet and I'm almost done for the year. Last of the stitching going in tomorrow for my wife's journal. That will be the third journal cover (A-5 sized) out of a $40 shoulder from Tandy. 

I've also given up airplanes...too much time and effort that crashes. Gave away the controller and servos and motor...plane was in pieces (of course) 

I do like the hobby...it is fun. 

1 hour ago, johnnydb said:

I agree...I have yet to buy anything from Springfield or Weaver yet...

Just nervous about buying anything sight unseen. I've been told they have some great deals on leather and supplies....just haven't pulled the trigger yet and I'm almost done for the year.

Well that's why I stick with branded leathers.  I mean chromexcel is chromexcel regardless if you buy it directly from Horween, Tannery row, or some random guy on etsy.  I know exactly how firm it will be, what thickness I need, what is the best way to finish it, what options I have with the flesh side, and most importantly what to avoid.  I don't like last minute experimentations and surprises with those things.  Sedgwick bridle,  Horween Dublin, Hikaku Cordovan etc, they're always the same.   Cheap? No.  But cheaper than finding out in the last minute that I just bought a side that is simply unsuitable for my project.  And there are some merchants you can rely on to have good consistency with their lesser known and less expensive house brands and their generic tooling veg tan.

Edited by Spyros

When I started I nearly had a heart attack when told the price of veg tan, I contacted a local car upholstery company and they said come around we might be able to help. Visited them and they pay someone to take their scraps away. turned out I could take as much as I wanted, all chrome about 1.2-2mm most with chalk marks showing faults that i could not see, and bits 5 foot x 4 foot and less just for free in different colours

A great way to learn on the cheap. but it appears many never really consider Chrome leather but just veg tan, yet plenty of things can be made with chrome which is far cheaper

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

When I started I nearly had a heart attack when told the price of veg tan, I contacted a local car upholstery company and they said come around we might be able to help. Visited them and they pay someone to take their scraps away. turned out I could take as much as I wanted, all chrome about 1.2-2mm most with chalk marks showing faults that i could not see, and bits 5 foot x 4 foot and less just for free in different colours

A great way to learn on the cheap. but it appears many never really consider Chrome leather but just veg tan, yet plenty of things can be made with chrome which is far cheaper

Actually I was interested in some chrome tanned leather for a couple of projects I was thinking about doing... portfolio and a zipper bag/purse.  

I just haven't seen any great deals on the materials yet and Christmas prep is starting as soon as I finish what I'm currently working on. (Not much left to go on it.) I'll be tied up with Christmas until next year. Over 1K of assorted chocolate truffles and another 1K of assorted cookies and then several blank gingerbread houses and there's more but I just mentioned the worst offenders...yes, it's a production for Christmas. 

And from what you are saying...that would be an awesome find. We do have a tannery close by here that makes chrome tanned leather...but it's for sporting goods... like basketballs and baseball gloves and soccer balls... you get the idea.  Just a 90minute drive away. I was thinking about hitting them up for some chrome tan for a few sport nuts I know. 

Purple for Louisiana football and regular orange pebble for basketball. They would make some great portfolio/organizers...just the right stitching and they would look great. Work great too so long as they don't get thrown around. 

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

I think this forum has a lot of people who are into tooling and carving and you really need veg for that, maybe thats why.  

Chrome is great, as long as it suits the project.  I like my bags to be firm and stand upright, chrome is more for softer, floppier bags that I don't really make.  Upholstery leather is also great for aprons and other things, although there is huge price variation in upholstery leather.  For a shop apron I wouldn't bother with the expensive stuff, but if I'm spending a week making a nice English trunk I probably would.