SIRHC

Newbie looking for the machine

Hello new leather friends. 

I'm thinking about purchasing a used machine. I would like to do belts, dog collars, and leashes to start. Maybe wallets too down the road. I don't want to spend a lot but don't want to go too cheap either. I am also wanting to buy something I won't graduate out of too soon either. I guess  I would also like a gently used one to start. Don't want a beater.

I've done a little research. I like Japanese quality brands. Juki and older Consew seem to be popular name brands. 

I found a used Consew 255 RB3. Supposedly made in Japan. Says Tokoyo Japan on badge anyway. Seller claims Low milage. Like new actually. Comes with table legs and servo. Asking $1400. Plus shipping. What do you all think? 

I think the thickest capability I'll need is something capable of 3/8ths thick eventually. I don't believe I'll go that thick but who knows. Any constructive criticism is not only encouraged but rewarded. So please point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Chris 

DSC00660.JPG

DSC00662.JPG

1 hour ago, SIRHC said:

I found a used Consew 255 RB3. Supposedly made in Japan. Says Tokoyo Japan on badge anyway.

The machine does appear to be in good shape. The badge may say Tokyo, Japan but I would check with a Consew dealer or call Consew to confirm as to where it is manufactured. Juki even has some machines that are now made in China.

A couple of other things you need to check for that machine are:

The max needle size will it take.

The max thread size for the top thread.

The max thread size in the bobbin, some machines can not take the same thread size in the bobbin as the top thread.

What would be a similar Juki model. Is it a clone of the Juki DNU-1541S or the LU-1508 N.

In the upholstery class of machines they max out at 3/8" sewing thickness depending on material and thread size.

For what you have described as wanting to sew I think a Juki DNU-1541S should be quite capable of handling it. The cost of a new Juki DNU-1541S, table and servo motor is probably in the range of $1800 US. Clones are usually cheaper.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Edited by kgg
missing word

On 10/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, kgg said:

The machine does appear to be in good shape. The badge may say Tokyo, Japan but I would check with a Consew dealer or call Consew to confirm as to where it is manufactured. Juki even has some machines that are now made in China.

A couple of other things you need to check for that machine are:

The max needle size will it take.

The max thread size for the top thread.

The max thread size in the bobbin, some machines can not take the same thread size in the bobbin as the top thread.

What would be a similar Juki model. Is it a clone of the Juki DNU-1541S or the LU-1508 N.

In the upholstery class of machines they max out at 3/8" sewing thickness depending on material and thread size.

For what you have described as wanting to sew I think a Juki DNU-1541S should be quite capable of handling it. The cost of a new Juki DNU-1541S, table and servo motor is probably in the range of $1800 US. Clones are usually cheaper.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Thank you. I may just throw down on a new Juki. By the time I pay for shipping it'll be 1750 for the used Consew.

9 minutes ago, SIRHC said:

Thank you. I may just throw down on a new Juki. By the time I pay for shipping it'll be 1750 for the used Consew.

You can't go wrong with a Juki. When you decide to sell it you will probably have an easier time and at a high price then a similar clone.

kgg

I would ask how much you would use it. I've done all sorts of holsters, rifle cases, slings, etc in the last 35 years, and never felt the need for a machine. Your choice of course, but I greatly prefer hand sewn vs machine sewn.

15 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I would ask how much you would use it. I've done all sorts of holsters, rifle cases, slings, etc in the last 35 years, and never felt the need for a machine. Your choice of course, but I greatly prefer hand sewn vs machine sewn.

Be that as it may, the OP asked about sewing machines for leather and this sub-forum is about leather sewing machines.