TheFatBob

Beginner sewing machine

Hi folks,

I would like to add to my leather hobby shop, a cylinder arm sewing machine.My experience is minimal.

Im thinking at Cowboy 4500 / Cobra class 3-4/ Techsew2750pro or a Juki 1341.

what would you recommend? 
If anyone has something to sale, in Ontario, just give me a shout.
I don’t want to spend too much money for a start, also my budget is tight.

thanks a lot.

Cristian-Toronto

4 hours ago, TheFatBob said:

Hi folks,

I would like to add to my leather hobby shop, a cylinder arm sewing machine.My experience is minimal.

Im thinking at Cowboy 4500 / Cobra class 3-4/ Techsew2750pro or a Juki 1341.

If anyone has something to sale, in Ontario, just give me a shout.
I don’t want to spend too much money for a start, also my budget is tight.

thanks a lot.

Cristian-Toronto

So you have to decide on a few things.. Jukis are expensive.. so if you're a hobbyist I don't think you should spend the extra money. As a production shop, I also am not spending the money for a Juki at the moment.

A Cowboy, Cobra or Techsew all in the same model should be comparable to each other and I wouldn't argue there is much different with their base models.

With that being said, I believe the available options between the three are slightly different.

Cowboy

- Speed reducer

Cobra

- Speed reducer
-  Electronic positioning (needle at Top dead center, bottom dead center)

Techsew

- Speed reducer

-  Electronic positioning (needle at Top dead center, bottom dead center)

- Laser guide (for following a line or something where you wouldn't use the edge guide). 

---

Besides those options they're pretty much the same. All have great support. All are quality machines. 

4 hours ago, TheFatBob said:

I would first recommend a Juki LS -1341 if you can afford the price of a new one about $3500 CAD and you don't need a 441 class machine. The Cowboy and the Cobra you noted are in the 441 class machines while the Techsew 2750 and the Juki 1341 are in the 1341 class of machines. So you need to figure out if you need / want to sew 7/8" thick or 1/2" thick stuff, what needle system is needed, the max thread size thread for the top and in bobbin for the machine you want to use in your stuff.

In the 441 class machines the cost effective way is with a clone as the Juki TSC-441 is just to expensive, north of $9000.

In the 1341 class machines if your budget doesn't allow for a new Juki then a used Juki LS-1341 from a dealer in the Toronto area can be had for about $1500 complete with table and servo motor.

If you want a new clone that can be purchased and serviced in the Toronto area then I would recommend the KOBE LS-1341 (Japan Sewing Machine -- Chris at (905) 764-0100) which is a Juki LS-1341 clone just an awful lot more cost effective. I actually went to get a new Juki LS-1341 and wound up giving the Kobe a try about a year ago based on the cost difference with the full intent of selling it and getting a new Juki LS-1341 if it couldn't / didn't work out but so far no problems.

The downside of the clones on the average is ease of resale and resale value when compared to comparable Juki's.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

Have a good look at the JUKI 1541 it may well fit your bill but flat bed and relatively low cost, or alternatively look for second hand. no one machine does all size leather the 441's are for the heavy duty brigade whilst great at that not so good if you want to make small items like wallets. upholstery machines handle 138 max possibly 207 thread

What sort of items are you making? This will be a big deciding factor in the type of machine you need. As pointed out the 441 class are for heavy duty sewing of thick materials with thick thread (holsters, gunbelts, horse tack etc). Whilst they can be "dumbed down" - Wiz has written an article on how to do it - it is not an ideal machine for lighter material. 

As for not wanting to spend a lot, you're probably no different in that from most of us. Unfortunately it rarely works that way when it comes to industrial sewing machines.

Beginners need good equipment worse than old hands do. Get frustrated easily without the correct tools and quit. 

I make wallets, belts, totes and purses, knife sheaths, bracelets, gaiters, saddlebags and I want to try to make a motorcycle seat too.

all of above I sew now by hand.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by TheFatBob

With the items you have listed you probably looking for more of a medium size machine.   I would suggest a cylinder arm machine.   Lots of them out there.  Here are just a few cylinder arm machines.  Juki 1341, Yamata 1341, Cobra class 26, Techsew 2600, Cowboy 227,  Techsew 2750, Consew 287 and many more.  That said I have been very happy with my Cobra class 4 but it does not do lighter weights as well.  I have a flatbed Juki 1508NH that sews lighter leathers better but it is still a heavy duty machine.  I probably should look at getting a medium sized machine.  

Edited by bland
clarification

Thanks everyone.

I still searching for the right one.