Dwight

Just a giggle for y'all . . .

A friend asked me a week ago if I had a Taurus G3 . . . I answered yes.  

He then asked how hard it would be to make a box holster for one . . . looks like you got a meter or a book or something like that on your side.

Told him it was a piece of cake.  Made it . . . took it to him for final fit check . . . but not worried because we both got G3's.

Welllllllllllll.................. his G3 turned out to be a G3 . . . mine is a G3C . . . 5/8 of an inch shorter barrel.

Now I'll be making it over . . . and I'll have a G3C box holster in the plastic tub with the others I've collected over the years.

God ahead and giggle . . . I have been . . .  or I'd have to go bust something up.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yep.  got that same plastic tub.  My recent addition was a left handed holster.

Had a guy contact me about a holster.  Just to be on the safe side I asked him what style 1911 he had.  There are different frames and slides out there.  The guy got mad that I did not know what gun he had, got a bit nasty in his response, and did the email equivalent of storming off.  

Then there are the guys that know what gun they have, but are wrong.  

It taught me to ask an annoying amount of questions.  

My last addition to the box of holsters was a guy that bought 2 identical holsters in 2 different colors.  Then tried to cancel because he wanted retention straps.  Then told me he just wanted to see what color he liked and would be returning one.  I had already started the first two.  Sent that guy packing with instructions to just not look at my store again.  Sorry, custom holsters are not Amazon holsters.  I'll take one back if there is a problem but I'm not making them for you to plan on returning them.  

And dang it's getting hard to keep up with everything.  And even if you can keep up with it mentally, you can't afford to have every option on the market.  I bet I've got 6 different P365's in the garage.  Same with the Shield.  

Usually this sort of post is about how the maker suddenly realized it was backwards (left handed instead of right handed, for example), or the customer says, "Oh, G3?  I meant to say P365."  Stuff happens.  I was cleaning something out the other day and ran across a couple of mine that made that special "bin of shame".

My favorite is when a potential customer contacts me wanting a custom made to order holster for there 2000 dollar pistol. They want all the bells and whistles super strict design ideas that they think will look good. Then when you give them a fair ball park price they start telling you about all the great stuff they've looked at online for 1/2 or less then my price. And ask can you give them a 150 160 dollar holster for the 50 like they seen others for online. I laugh and tell them no thanks and if there happy with the cheaper items online go for it. And before i cut the first piece of leather for custom orders i get half payment upfront so atleast if customer backs out after work is started my materials are payed for. 

People who do not know or understand the difference between mass-produced and custom-made make me sad.

I have a shop in a busy area, so I get my fair share of dreamers. Because the overpriced blue guns I tell my customers that I’ll be needing their iron(s) for 2 to 3 weeks and half down! Most say I should purchase a blue gun to make more than one holster, in which I reply “for a gun I’m never going to see two of? How bout I charge you fo the extra cost?” Most start singing the blues

most guys say that they need their weapons at all times, but then I send em to Walmart on a wild goose hunt

On 11/28/2021 at 7:43 PM, HandyDave said:

My favorite is when a potential customer contacts me wanting a custom made to order holster for there 2000 dollar pistol. They want all the bells and whistles super strict design ideas that they think will look good. Then when you give them a fair ball park price they start telling you about all the great stuff they've looked at online for 1/2 or less then my price. And ask can you give them a 150 160 dollar holster for the 50 like they seen others for online. I laugh and tell them no thanks and if there happy with the cheaper items online go for it. And before i cut the first piece of leather for custom orders i get half payment upfront so atleast if customer backs out after work is started my materials are payed for. 

if it has a letter or initial or custom anything its full 100% up front. if they are good honest folks its no problem they understand. Had a guy the other day wanted three plain holsters and a couple mag carriers. gave me two guns for patterning then asked me if i wanted money in advance too i laughed and said i trust you i have two of your guns lol. 

Yeah if piece is to be personalized its deffently 100% payment up front. If im doing custom order work that isnt personalized i usually on ask for half up front so materials are coverd regardless. I usually dont have much trouble selling stuff i get stuck with. But its alot harder if not impossible to resale something with someones logo or name on it. But one thing i do with holsters and such thats personalized and i still get stuck with occasionally is ill reconfigure them or overlay with exotics over personalized area then its good for resale. 

16 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

I have a shop in a busy area, so I get my fair share of dreamers. Because the overpriced blue guns I tell my customers that I’ll be needing their iron(s) for 2 to 3 weeks and half down! Most say I should purchase a blue gun to make more than one holster, in which I reply “for a gun I’m never going to see two of? How bout I charge you fo the extra cost?” Most start singing the blues

most guys say that they need their weapons at all times, but then I send em to Walmart on a wild goose hunt

Hey doc,  while you have the clients  gun,  trace it out on a 2x6  and cut it out sand it   next time you will haver that pattern