My first molded OWB holster.

09756938-43AB-4992-8AAD-5FF13EEA34A4.jpeg

is that Kydex??

8 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

is that Kydex??

No Sir it’s 6 weight veg tan leather the impression you see on it came from the vacuum seal bag I used to mold it to my pistol.

interesting.  I have not tried the vacuum approach yet.  May in a few months.  What type of bag were you using?  What is your setup?  Not sure I care for the patterning.  Kind of takes away from the leather look.

31 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

interesting.  I have not tried the vacuum approach yet.  May in a few months.  What type of bag were you using?  What is your setup?  Not sure I care for the patterning.  Kind of takes away from the leather look.

I just went out to the big box store and bought a food vacuum bag sealer and I intend to get the smooth bags next time. 

5419C078-0BA1-4DBA-8A24-52672D87AA4A.jpeg

D16E8A02-E5A0-4E97-BAC8-26A46CF2CC4D.jpeg

I would love to say DONT do that "vacuum bag" look .. but I find I actually don't mind it ;)  Other hand, if you want to do away with the "bag" look without altering the process, just place the holster inside a piece of cowhide folded around it with grain side IN toward the holster/gun (rough side out, touching the bag).  You'll be transferring the grain of the leather, not the grain of the bag :wavey:

Not big on the rivets.. just don't like rivets at all and less on a holster (prolly just personal pref).  If you're going to use rivets, put one under the trigger guard, to keep the rig from opening over time (or add a row of stitches there).

In the end, though.. is this YOUR gun?  Comfort and ease of use FOR THE USER are the end goal, so if it feels good FOR YOU, that's a win!

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

28 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

I would love to say DONT do that "vacuum bag" look .. but I find I actually don't mind it ;)  Other hand, if you want to do away with the "bag" look without altering the process, just place the holster inside a piece of cowhide folded around it with grain side IN toward the holster/gun (rough side out, touching the bag).  You'll be transferring the grain of the leather, not the grain of the bag :wavey:

Not big on the rivets.. just don't like rivets at all and less on a holster (prolly just personal pref).  If you're going to use rivets, put one under the trigger guard, to keep the rig from opening over time (or add a row of stitches there).

In the end, though.. is this YOUR gun?  Comfort and ease of use FOR THE USER are the end goal, so if it feels good FOR YOU, that's a win!

Untitled-1.jpg

This holster is a prototype and I actually intend to sew around the trigger guard on the next edition for further retention. I am mixed on the texturing of the leather, we will see what happens on the next one.

I tried food saver as well. Didn't care for the bag texture.  Even flipping the bag over and putting the smooth side up. Still was too prone to wrinkles that transfer to the leather. I now have a vac set up with a 27 mm vinyl bag and vac pump that does very well. If you look at JLSleather's website he has a very good method for making holsters and establishing stitch lines that will benefit you a lot in the future. But, all in all, a very worthy first wet mold. The texture is a matter of personal taste. 

8 hours ago, Hags said:

If you look at JLSleather's website

That's tough to do right now ;)  But I might fix it one day ...

Doc, 

Quick thoughts in case they're helpful...... I too have used the poor man's vacuum mold (aka FoodSaver) for several years now, while coveting a more sophisticated setup. I line the textured side of the bag as JLS suggests. However, I use a synthetic chamois (like you'd use for drying off a car). It doesn't make a noticeable texture change, and it helps wick away some excess moisture from the leather. I do as much molding as possible while still sealed in the bag. 

10 hours ago, papaleaf said:

Doc, 

Quick thoughts in case they're helpful...... I too have used the poor man's vacuum mold (aka FoodSaver) for several years now, while coveting a more sophisticated setup. I line the textured side of the bag as JLS suggests. However, I use a synthetic chamois (like you'd use for drying off a car). It doesn't make a noticeable texture change, and it helps wick away some excess moisture from the leather. I do as much molding as possible while still sealed in the bag. 

Thank you for the input