327fed

Burnishing with wood router

Anybody ever used a wood router for burnishing? I have a couple of extra routers and a router table. Would be less footprint on the bench. Would it be too fast? Are there burnished wheels that would fit in the router mandrel? Seems like they are 1/4 inch. My drill press I normally use is in another building. 

Can't say I've ever heard anyone using a router as a burnisher. I would have thought it would be too fast . :dunno: 

HS 

If the router motor is a universal-type motor (not induction) then you should be able to fit a basic speed control to it and slow it down.

Found another way to go with this. Had this old Milwaukee drill unused. Kinda retro. My wife provided a wooden thread spool which I grooved in drill press. Works okay. 

16478F1F-CD2D-43FF-9626-B47D8E49540D.jpeg

Whoa!   You have tools made of METAL?    

I have a number of old metal drills. They all function, but look at the size of the handle on the one above, those old ones are wrist breakers for sure, i do use them but wont sell them as most folks wouldn't recognize the danger until it slipped out of their hand and had the cord wrapped around their wrist I have experience with that issue. 

burnishing with a wood router? yeah, no, DON'T

4 hours ago, 327fed said:

Found another way to go with this.

Good repurposing of an old drill.

kgg

Maybe it's just me but in my experience nothing does a better job than a good old canvas cloth.  I've tried mounting those wooden thingies on every contraption imaginable, I've also tried the similarly shaped brass burnisher on the electric creaser, but canvas still works better and faster for me.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, 327fed said:

Anybody ever used a wood router for burnishing? I have a couple of extra routers and a router table. Would be less footprint on the bench. Would it be too fast? Are there burnished wheels that would fit in the router mandrel? Seems like they are 1/4 inch. My drill press I normally use is in another building. 

they make a variable speed control for routers, they are cheap and may help out in slowing it down enough to use. Just google i think they are about 30 bucks or so.  you could have any body with a wood lathe make you a burnishing wheel to fit it or you could make a wheel with your router also.

16 hours ago, cardinal leather said:

I have a number of old metal drills. They all function, but look at the size of the handle on the one above, those old ones are wrist breakers for sure, i do use them but wont sell them as most folks wouldn't recognize the danger until it slipped out of their hand and had the cord wrapped around their wrist I have experience with that issue. 

You aren't kidding! I have a later version of Milwaukee's hole shooter, still called that. The trigger is almost the entire length of the grip, you CAN'T LET GO! I finally just stopped using it, one experience on a ladder did the trick.