Hello everyone my name is Landry and I haven’t been on in a while. I’ve been busy with other projects but I just got back to my leatherwork and I have some questions and I would like to show off my Second wallet. I’ve only been practicing on some cheap leather since mid 2020 I finally have some decent tools and I purchased a pattern for a wallet but I decided to make my wallets different so I refined the design of course I always have to make difficult designs. I purchased some nice Italian leather in 12”x12” sheets. 4oz for the back and 2 oz for the pockets. This time I decided to try a 1.5-2 oz leather for the pockets because the wallet with all the layers even after skiveing. I burnished My pockets on this wallet but because The pockets on my next wallet are much thinner I don’t know how easy it’s going to be to burnish them I am wondering does anybody else not burnish their pockets we’re have any trouble burnishing thiner leather. My edges don’t have that glass like finish Even after applying water tokenol and sandpaper five or six times and then wax, but they work for now.  My stitching line isn’t the best I am having a little trouble with the leather being so sick and then it gets thinner and my line is not straight in that spot and also I’ve been punching from the pocket side so that I make sure I don’t hit the edge of a pocket but I would rather punch from the back I don’t know if anybody has any thoughts on that. what I did see was punching through the back leather and then laying the other leather next to it and punching that and then glueing the 2 pieces together but that doesn’t seem like it would be something I want to try. Any feedback suggestions would be very much appreciated thank you so much.

072E92DB-AB4A-4D11-B561-3FC41B95C6D4.jpeg

EF585ABC-DE2C-4D4B-86B5-E6888915D79C.jpeg

619DAD27-0C21-4528-B141-F2FDB142C934.jpeg

Edited by Landry

That's a pretty cool design.  As for stitching, if everything is aligned properly, and you keep your chisels perpendicular to the work, you should have no issues punching from the outside. 

For non-veg tanned leather, I use straight tokonole to burnish.  On thinner pieces, I will either just apply with my finger and lightly rub on it so not to apply much pressure and that seems to work, or after applying it, lay it down on a flat surface and rub with a piece of cloth or burlap-type material.  Keep the images coming...again, nice work.

For your second project I think your work is really coming along.  I've made a few wallets and like @PastorBob said, laying really thin leather on a flat surface and then I place something equally flat usually my acrylic ruler on top leaving just enough of the leather showing to get after it with some canvas and gum trag or tokonole  .  

Nice step out of the box on your design. 

Very nice work.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback and complements. I’m just starting on my 3rd wallet now and I’m really enjoying this whole process. I may not be that old but I really don’t know why I didn’t start learning leather craft at an earlier age. But it goes to show your never to old to learn new things and I’m always learning something new every day.