BuckeyeJack

Hello from Ohio

Hi everyone, my name is Jack. I just recently started doing leatherwork, mostly wallets and other smaller leather items such as a book cover for my masonic ritual/degrees book and a modification to a friends leather strap bracelet. My interests came from my EDC collection. I have always loved leather products and wallets and some of the things I've always wanted to incorporate into items made me start searching on how to do them myself. Hours of videos on YouTube and other channels have really started to fuel this (as I am sure is the story for a lot of the folks here). I will post some pictures of some of my stuff soon in the gallery. Not top quality (yet) but better than I thought some would turn out and with the encouragement of friends and family, I already have some more projects lined up. 

As for a newbie question, I am curious how big of a logo you all use on products. I can kind of gauge size based on other products I have or have seen online. The logo I have come up with is going to end up being 1.5" squared. Is this too big for a wallet such as a card sleeve? Should I try to make this smaller? I obviously want it big enough that you can see it but not so big its deters someone from purchasing the item. Curious what you all think on this question before I drop some money on a stamp. Thank you, and I look forward to learning more from all of you!

sounds a bit big but best way is to make a wallet with your logo and ask around .

On 10/25/2021 at 8:28 AM, BuckeyeJack said:

Curious what you all think on this question before I drop some money on a stamp. Thank you, and I look forward to learning more from all of you!

Sorry, just saw your post. And welcome from SW Missouri.  I have 3 different size maker's marks I use, depending on the project size.  If you would like, I have the ability to create acrylic stamps with a laser.  This would be more cost effective to play with before buying a brass stamp (if you are so inclined).   Let me know if you are interested.

Mine ended up 3/4 x 1 ". I find it a bit big for the front of most holsters.  Probably going to have another made about 1/2  x 3/4. Easier to fit on the sides of stitch lines. I really think an oval with an outside line would be cool.

20211001_181324.jpg

Here's an example of what I ended up going with. Measure in at about 1.75" wide and a hair under 1" tall

IMG_0264.jpg

Welcome from about 35 miles to your northeast . . . Waldo area . . . been doing leather now for somewhat over 20 years . . . mostly belts, suspenders, knife sheaths, and holsters.

I have a somewhat smaller one . . . and there are times I cannot get it on a product like I would like to . . . so it doesn't go on.

Might be worth making smaller . . . but only time and experience will prove that to you.

Glad to have you aboard . . .  do you shop the Tandy leather store over on Morse Road?

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight