evilblackdog

I won a Pfaff 335 on an auction but I'm abysmally ignorant of sewing machines-I have so many questions!

I got this new to me machine but I'm not familiar with sewing machines and you guys were recommended as the experts! I have so many questions.

Images of my "new" machine... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fqcquzUg00eyqw_foMW4r7GGt8s248jW?usp=sharing

1. What is that Efka Veristop v650? 

2. Is the motor a servo motor? I'm not familiar with them being that big but I'm not sure what the point is of the position sensor if it's not? (my knowledge is limited to research I did earlier but it's more difficult than I thought to find good info on this old stuff.

3. Is it possible to get a manual for this old machine? All of them I found are for the newer versions?

4. Where is the best place to buy parts?

5. Why is the reverse lever and stich length adjustment lever thing "deleted" and what is the extra stuff on the top and the back for? (just judging from pictures of factory units)

6. What is with the goofy 3 pin plug thing?

7. The motor says it's 3 phase but that weird plug mentioned in question 6 only has 3 pins? There is another 4 pin connector shown in the pictures but that just connects the Variostop to the sewing machine.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g5wLvZpHNX6iurxDiau78WjN0gu8uxfw/view?usp=sharing

8. What's the best way to get this to run off of single phase? I read somewhere that these can be made to run off of 220 single phase but is it just better to get a modern servo motor?

Images of my "new" machine... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fqcquzUg00eyqw_foMW4r7GGt8s248jW?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for any help you can give. I like to do my own research but my googlfu is failing to find the relevent info on this old gal.

The only part I will address is that you have bought what appears to be a dedicated edge binder machine. This is a special setup that has a moving plate on top of the arm to which a material folder/binder should be attached, but isn't. The visible presser foot is single left toe to allow the binder attachment to get really close to it. This is to make the edge binding flow more evenly over the edge of the material. The required inside foot is missing! The feed dog is made to work with the binder and only moves forward and backward without dropping and raising like a normal feed dog. This means the feed dog will fight against feeding material without a binder. There is no standard needle plate. Unless those parts are included in a parts drawer or box, in order to use this for standard sewing you will need to buy the missing parts and disable or remove the synchronized moving plate. This may cost you some serious money.

OTOH, if you wanted a binder machine, this one is perfect. If the binder is missing you can buy one that screws onto the moving plate.

Here are some previous discussions about synchronized binder machines:

The Efka looks like a Needle positioner so that when you stop the machine the needle is either in the up position or down position

The motor is a old clutch motor and you would most likely want to replace it with a Modern servo motor

Sorry cannot help with missing bits

As I am a Commercial/industrial electrician professionally I can tell you explicitly that you are going to probably wish you hadn't purchased this machine. 

Because there is a Gizmo that can transform the power you need from single phase 240V (if you have normal residential power available)  and convert it to 208v 3 phase power, 5amps @ 60 hz....but you are definitely not going to like the cost of the gizmo. The transistors and controls of that Gizmo are ridiculously expensive...at least as much as this machine you just purchased and use a LOT of power at the same time. 

https://www.northamericaphaseconverters.com/product/pro-line-rotary-phase-converter-pl-5/.

The gizmo is listed at $509 and is likely the one that you will need. And they are noisy little gizmos too. They need a professional electrician to install them too. (Good luck with that)  most of us are rather comfortable with our couch time...so beyond the bill you need an incentive for him (of course you will pay a minimum of $250 just for him to show up and say "yes, you are right, you do need an electrician" and then whatever is required beyond that is more $$$....) maybe a nice new leather tool pouch or something will get him to actually show up to do the work. 

Edited by johnnydb
Technical edit

First question.  What do you want to do and sew with this machine.  It has automatic functions but the motor is 3 phase and 220 and as johnnydb stated in the previous post, getting a phase converter bought and hooked up will not be cheap.  Plus, you have to have air to run this machine with the functions if I am not mistaken.  it is NOT an old type clutch motor.  That is full function motor with a control box.

glenn

1 hour ago, johnnydb said:

As I am a Commercial/industrial electrician professionally I can tell you explicitly that you are going to probably wish you hadn't purchased this machine. 

Because there is a Gizmo that can transform the power you need from single phase 240V (if you have normal residential power available)  and convert it to 208v 3 phase power, 5amps @ 60 hz....but you are definitely not going to like the cost of the gizmo. The transistors and controls of that Gizmo are ridiculously expensive...at least as much as this machine you just purchased and use a LOT of power at the same time. 

https://www.northamericaphaseconverters.com/product/pro-line-rotary-phase-converter-pl-5/.

The gizmo is listed at $509 and is likely the one that you will need. And they are noisy little gizmos too. They need a professional electrician to install them too. (Good luck with that)  most of us are rather comfortable with our couch time...so beyond the bill you need an incentive for him (of course you will pay a minimum of $250 just for him to show up and say "yes, you are right, you do need an electrician" and then whatever is required beyond that is more $$$....) maybe a nice new leather tool pouch or something will get him to actually show up to do the work. 

According to this post and the s/n on my motor I should be able to convert it to 220 single phase. Do you have any thoughts on that?

To be honest though, if I can figure out how to remove all the Efka controls/automation stuff I'd just convert it to a manual servo driven machine.

Edited by evilblackdog

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

First question.  What do you want to do and sew with this machine.  It has automatic functions but the motor is 3 phase and 220 and as johnnydb stated in the previous post, getting a phase converter bought and hooked up will not be cheap.  Plus, you have to have air to run this machine with the functions if I am not mistaken.  it is NOT an old type clutch motor.  That is full function motor with a control box.

glenn

I want to sew leather, canvas, cordura type materials. Idealy I'd like to just remove all of the Efka stuff and turn it back into a manual machine with a 110 servo motor but according to another poster (on another forum) it takes a lot of time and money to convert it back to manual.

Wizcraft's reply explains almost everything but I just want to add that you do not reverse while binding. This is why they may have removed the reverse.

Multiple manuals exist for this machine. I got mine off this forum. If you cannot find them by searching on this site, reply and I'll see if I can upload.

Your motor is a servo motor. If you are willing to spend some $$ you can get an inverter that converts single-phase into 3-phase. Every structure in North America has 220V coming in, but it is single-phase. 110V is only transformed from 220V. So you need a 220V 1-phase to 220V 3-phase inverter.

If its cost is too much for your budget, drop the whole Efka rig and buy a Family 550Wt servo motor.

The reverse is removed because that is a computerized motor. It can be set for the number of backtack stitches both at the start and end of sewing. If reverse is needed, there is a dedicated button on the control panel for that. Every sewing function can be programmed with this setup. I had one and it is very nice, easy to get spoiled by. And yes, reverse is required for binding, to backtack  the ends....do it everyday. 

9 hours ago, evilblackdog said:

I want to sew leather, canvas, cordura type materials. Idealy I'd like to just remove all of the Efka stuff and turn it back into a manual machine with a 110 servo motor but according to another poster (on another forum) it takes a lot of time and money to convert it back to manual.

that can be done.

glenn

10 hours ago, evilblackdog said:

According to this post and the s/n on my motor I should be able to convert it to 220 single phase. Do you have any thoughts on that?

To be honest though, if I can figure out how to remove all the Efka controls/automation stuff I'd just convert it to a manual servo driven machine.

Yes...change out the drive motor to a single phase servo motor that is sized to produce the same sustainable torque as the current three phase motor. The HP equivalent won't be the same but it isn't that relevant as the torque. 

Edited by johnnydb

23 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

The reverse is removed because that is a computerized motor. It can be set for the number of backtack stitches both at the start and end of sewing. If reverse is needed, there is a dedicated button on the control panel for that. Every sewing function can be programmed with this setup. I had one and it is very nice, easy to get spoiled by. And yes, reverse is required for binding, to backtack  the ends....do it everyday. 

I'm not going to lie, it all looks really daunting for someone who hasn't sewn anything since middle school and I'm leaning towards trying to revert it to a manual machine and going with a 110 volt servo motor. What are you thoughts?

It shouldn't be that difficult to completely remove the motor and all its associated fittings, you should be left with a basic 335 head unit. Then just fit a servo, again it shouldn't be that difficult as folks on here do it all the time. A 550w servo will work, a 750w would be better.

A closeup photo of the needle/feet area would be nice, to see what feet/feed dog are fitted.

Oh, and you might be able to sell the Efka, seeing that you have a working unit.

13 minutes ago, dikman said:

It shouldn't be that difficult to completely remove the motor and all its associated fittings, you should be left with a basic 335 head unit. Then just fit a servo, again it shouldn't be that difficult as folks on here do it all the time. A 550w servo will work, a 750w would be better.

A closeup photo of the needle/feet area would be nice, to see what feet/feed dog are fitted.

Oh, and you might be able to sell the Efka, seeing that you have a working unit.

The motor part doesn't scare me but they removed the manual reverse lever and the stitch length adjustment is differen too. There's at least 1 pneumatic cylinder and 1 electric solenoid that I don't even know what they do but are part of the "automation". 

For anyone who finds this thread looking for a manul, here is the thread that Uwe posted it on towards the bottom of the page.
Also note that I've found the site search to be useless and have found google to be of much more use. e.g. site:leatherworker.net Pfaff 335 manual