Meandmy1963

Messenger bag lining

Either will work...just depends on what you are comfortable with using. 

Barge definitely needs curing time before the cloth is attached or you will get bleed through...but it can't be too much or else it won't stick... meaning that your coat needs to be extremely even. One of those small paint rollers can really help when doing this...the brush in the can?  Not going to recommend that whatsoever. 

Sprays can go everywhere you don't want...so some blue masking tape is going to be proscribed. 

1 hour ago, Meandmy1963 said:

. . .  Now I need to figure out exactly how I'm gonna do my edges. I'm leaning towards folding my edges over the fabric for a clean look. . . . 

When I attach the the thin leather lining I

1. cut the lining close to the size needed

2. on the inside of my main piece I draw a line where my stitching will be, allowing for a trim cut - lets say, 6mm in from the edge, allowing 1 or 2mm trim 

3. I draw a line between the stitching line and the edge, in this pretend case it would be about 3 or 4mm from the edge / 3 or 2mm from the stitching line

4. after I glue the lining on and before the glue has fully cured I use a very sharp knife to trim the lining leather to that intermediate line and peel away the excess

5. if or when I skive the edge before sewing the lining leather just gets a touch.

6. I glue and sew the next piece to the first. The edge of the lining is hidden but caught in the sewing

7. at an edge where there is no other piece to be sewn on, like the outer edge of a bag flap, I skive the edge of the main piece back about 10mm then just glue the lining leather to it. making sure that the edge is full glued down, then I trim it to tidy it

Edited by fredk

4 hours ago, Meandmy1963 said:

I've decided that's what I'm going to do. Line the back of each leather panel with flannel. I'll be using a spray adhesive. Now I need to figure out exactly how I'm gonna do my edges. I'm leaning towards folding my edges over the fabric for a clean look. This wasn't the plan in the beginning as I was looking for a rugged look with natural edges finished with beeswax. I may still do it this way as I'm seeing a lot of tutorials online on how to do edges with the fabric backing(ie folding the fabric and cutting the leather to size after the fabric is adhered) likely I'm going to do a combination of things to get the look I want while making sure the fabric lining looks right and isn't going to fray over time

I once took a leatherworking course, and the instructor said that in luxury leather items the order from most luxurious to less luxurious is: 1) turned edges 2) painted edges 3) burnished edges.  So you're picking the most luxurious option :)

It's also probably the most time consuming option, you'll have to skive a fair bit to get the leather to fold properly.    Although painting also takes a lot of time because technically you have to build layers with drying time and sanding in between.  Burnishing is definitely the fastest.

To be honest, although I most definitely appreciate the craftsmaship in the end result, I find turned edges a bit too formal and maybe a little old fashioned.  But that's just me, I just like more casual stuff, you should follow your vision :)