Rossr

Wooden handled Osborne strap cutter

This came as part of a shop buy out I did.  Cleaned it up .  Dont need another strap cutter but its prettier than the just metal handle ones.  Thought some folks might like a look. Any idea on age?

20211027_112708.jpg

20211027_112700.jpg

20211027_112735.jpg

20211027_112717.jpg

Edited by Rossr

I have a lot of these in my collection.  None with the Harrison, NJ mark that I know of.  Those are the "newer" ones after they moved from Newark, NJ around 1906.  So any time after that.

Yours is in nice shape but appears to be missing all the gibs fwiw.

YinTx

7 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I have a lot of these in my collection.  None with the Harrison, NJ mark that I know of.  Those are the "newer" ones after they moved from Newark, NJ around 1906.  So any time after that.

Yours is in nice shape but appears to be missing all the gibs fwiw.

YinTx

Is a gib the c shaped partrhat goes in the slot ?   The blade has one but not the slide part.  It was missing.  I think I may have a spare or 2

5 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Is a gib the c shaped partrhat goes in the slot ?   The blade has one but not the slide part.  It was missing.  I think I may have a spare or 2

Yep, thats the one.  Sometimes they are different.  Osborne sells new ones if your spares don't fit and you  need replacements.

YinTx

28 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Yep, thats the one.  Sometimes they are different.  Osborne sells new ones if your spares don't fit and you  need replacements.

YinTx

All better.  Do they usually just have 1. I have 2 metal handle Osborne's  and both just have one,   screw hits that so I assume you dont mess up the slide part.  There is another fornthe blade too.  So technically 2 . 

I prefer the all wood one for cutting straps myself. Pictured with the all metal osborne

20211028_233309.jpg

20211028_232815.jpg

20211028_233304.jpg

20211028_232830.jpg

Edited by Rossr

I've usually seen them as you have it.  On occasion I'll get one in with two gibs on the bar, not sure why.

Also, I've had better luck with some of the older ones with rosewood and brass handles than the iron ones, not sure why.  Depends on what I am strapping as to which one works best.  Also, whichever one is set up already sometimes works best.  ;)

YinTx

It looks great, I always wanted one.    I almost pulled the trigger on a new one but that exposed blade gave me pause, I mean knowing myself I know they will find me dead in the shed 5 days later LOL

Sticking to the all wood one too

Edited by Spyros

I find that this type of strap cutter works better with thick leather, and the wooden one better on thinner leathers.  

If you want a functional gib, it's not hard to make one and does keep the bar from getting buggered up.  

- Bill

7 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I find that this type of strap cutter works better with thick leather, and the wooden one better on thinner leathers.  

If you want a functional gib, it's not hard to make one and does keep the bar from getting buggered up.  

- Bill

See this again is how I get in trouble cause then I get crazy thoughts,   wouldn't that scrap.of damascus be pretty as a gib.  3 hours later gib made.  Or let's take my limited machining skills over to the mill and machine one out of brass.  6 hours later much cursing bingo .  Hahaha but yes not hard to do at all thankfully I had one laying about.  

Ross

I have a civil war era Sauerbier strap cutter that was missing the gib for the blade, and made one from a nickel that I cut and bent.  It cost me five cents, some propane for a blowtorch and some labor.

- Bill

18 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I have a civil war era Sauerbier strap cutter that was missing the gib for the blade, and made one from a nickel that I cut and bent.  It cost me five cents, some propane for a blowtorch and some labor.

- Bill

See  now that has a story all it's own.  Needs a picture 

4 hours ago, Rossr said:

See this again is how I get in trouble cause then I get crazy thoughts,   wouldn't that scrap.of damascus be pretty as a gib.  3 hours later gib made.  Or let's take my limited machining skills over to the mill and machine one out of brass.  6 hours later much cursing bingo .  Hahaha but yes not hard to do at all thankfully I had one laying about.  

Ross

yes, rabbit holes. I do leather work.  I need a strap cutter.  Check out this cool vintage strap cutter!  Ah man, it needs a gib. Gee, I could make that $5 gib.  I need to do a little research on metals.  Oh, I see.  I think I need an anvil.  And a forge.  And a hammer.  I could make a forge.  I need to research that.  I need a good spot outside.  I need a small building outside for my vintage metal working tools.  I could build that.  Probably need to run 220V to the building.  No problem, I can learn how to do that.  I probably need some electricians gear.  Some of those gloves would be nice.  To go with the gloves I got for working in the forge.  That I need to build.  So I can make that gib, for that strap cutter I need to fix.  So I can cut leather straps, because I do leather work.

This is my daily life, lol.

YinTx

48 minutes ago, YinTx said:

yes, rabbit holes. I do leather work.  I need a strap cutter.  Check out this cool vintage strap cutter!  Ah man, it needs a gib. Gee, I could make that $5 gib.  I need to do a little research on metals.  Oh, I see.  I think I need an anvil.  And a forge.  And a hammer.  I could make a forge.  I need to research that.  I need a good spot outside.  I need a small building outside for my vintage metal working tools.  I could build that.  Probably need to run 220V to the building.  No problem, I can learn how to do that.  I probably need some electricians gear.  Some of those gloves would be nice.  To go with the gloves I got for working in the forge.  That I need to build.  So I can make that gib, for that strap cutter I need to fix.  So I can cut leather straps, because I do leather work.

This is my daily life, lol.

YinTx

You just described my world as well Lol.  

3 hours ago, Rossr said:

You just described my world as well Lol.  

That is why the Scots invented WHISKEY!!!

Yin Tx, that pretty well summed up me!:lol: Although in my case I decided to make a knife (by grinding it from a bar). I soon realised that I actually wanted to forge it, so.......building to house forge, forge, anvils, tongs etc etc.:rolleyes2: 

Same with leatherwork, stated buying sewing machines but had nowhere to put them.......so shed, electrical wiring (trenching) etc etc.

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

That is why the Scots invented WHISKEY!!!

:rofl:  :rofl:

The Irish invented WHISKEY (note spelling with an E)

Then they shared it with the Scots who cannot do it right and have to blend it to make it drinkable and they can't even spell the word the correct way - WHISKY - note, no E

1 hour ago, fredk said:

:rofl:  :rofl:

The Irish invented WHISKEY (note spelling with an E)

Then they shared it with the Scots who cannot do it right and have to blend it to make it drinkable and they can't even spell the word the correct way - WHISKY - note, no E

The Irish have never gotten it quite right, no matter HOW hard they try.

Just now, tsunkasapa said:

The Irish have never gotten it quite right, no matter HOW hard they try.

Thats why we make so much, have more distilleries per head of population and so many Beta-tasters checking it out in all the pubs. :cheers:

But a Black Bushe will beat any other pretend whisky any day of the week

:lol:

Man you brought back some memories with Bushmills (I was an exchange student in Limerick for a year)

4 hours ago, dikman said:

Yin Tx, that pretty well summed up me!:lol: Although in my case I decided to make a knife (by grinding it from a bar). I soon realised that I actually wanted to forge it, so.......building to house forge, forge, anvils, tongs etc etc.:rolleyes2: 

Same with leatherwork, stated buying sewing machines but had nowhere to put them.......so shed, electrical wiring (trenching) etc etc.

Dikman,  that's now me.  I started making knives,    mostly stock removal but then did some forging .  Still want a power hammer or hydraulic or air press.....then I needed sheaths.  Somewhere that morphed into a full leather shop complete with sewing machines, hand tools,  etc etc etc.  Oh and then theres some glass blowing equipment.    Got a kid interested.  Didni mention the CNC machine project......I need more shop space....especially for the woodworking equipment.

I narrowly missed getting into letterpress printing(had a press lined up but fell through during covid) but still could happen 

35 minutes ago, Rossr said:

I narrowly missed getting into letterpress printing(had a press lined up but fell through during covid) but still could happen 

An old Bible circa 1890 has me going down the winding bookbinding path...

YinTx

ParallelBible1LoRes.jpg

ParallelBible6LoRes.jpg

Edit:   It weighs about 15 lbs ... with a pillowed cover... wouldn't want to start small or simple or anything...

Edited by YinTx

28 minutes ago, YinTx said:

An old Bible circa 1890 has me going down the winding bookbinding path...

YinTx

You may want to reach out to Rustic Leatherworks.  They do a lot of Bible rebinding.  They are on Instagram and have a website www.rusticleatherworks.com   They are in Charlote NC 

15 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

You may want to reach out to Rustic Leatherworks.  They do a lot of Bible rebinding.  They are on Instagram and have a website www.rusticleatherworks.com   They are in Charlote NC 

Well, at least I know to keep it under $3-400, otherwise I could have someone else do it!  Of course, that is only the cover, not any repairs that are needed...  They have an interesting take on binding, for sure!  Thanks for the link.

YinTx

Shooting took me down a (deep) rabbit hole, now in interest in archery is threatening to do the same but I'm trying to keep this one under control!

Btw Rossr, I forgot to say that I like that cutter you found, something about the handle design looks real cool.