Hags

Super Red Hawk, 44 mag, 9.5" barrel, with an Aimpoint. With a Sasquatch motif. scope.

This is, no doubt, the biggest holster I have ever made. I brainstormed for a couple of days over how to do this. It is literally huge. Then, add a scope.. Do I cut out for the scope or enclose it? I ultimately opted to enclose. Using the pancake for revolver method, I began to flesh out the design. I built a ramp (?) For the transition from scope to front sight, gave myself some room for error,  and made the pattern. Crap!, that's a lot of leather! And he wants a sasquatch silhouette on the reinforcing piece. Dang. Anyway,  I think I pulled it off. This really made the customer happy. I hope I can post all 3 photos in this post. If not, I will add another. And no, this is not intended to be a "survival or speed draw" holster. This is a hunting, or just a carry holster. I made this clear at the start. I did not use my vacuum bag on this one, all by hand and hair dryer ok n low. I was concerned about what it may do to the scope.  If you have advice on scopes in vacuum,  please advise. Going to have to add one photo of the back, dangit.

20211029_165642.jpg

20211028_185637.jpg

The photo of the back.

20211028_185655.jpg

Excellent work!

That's quite nice!

Very nice work.

I think the Sasquatch is a great looking feature. 
The sheer size of that package makes me wonder if anyone would apply for a concealed carry license for it :)

Yeah, it would hide well under a swimsuit! 

GP101 grips look out of place on it.

Otherwise, stunning workmanship! Love the rig.

It is nice work.  I do have a question for you tho:  on the molding around the back, it looks like the scope and mounts would result in too much retention:  ie locked in place.  Do you find this to be the case at all?  Also, the deeply recessed moulding around the trigger guard:  does it interfere with the trigger at all?

YinTx

Yes, initially the retention was a bit too much. I wrapped the gun and scope in thick plastic wrap and let it sit for a while before it was completely dry. This loosened the fit enough to hold the weapon very well, but allows for the gun to be drawn. I also went into these areas while wet and released/eased them a bit from the inside. I saw this going in and advised the owner this is not going to be a "speed draw" holster (duhhh),  and that unless he wanted a very loose fit and a strap, it was going to on the snug side. He loves it and can draw it one handed. Thank you for pointing this out. When I do pistols, I make sure to relieve the area around  the ejector port to prevent locking the gun in. I just cant resist getting all the detail I can.

7 hours ago, DrmCa said:

GP101 grips look out of place on it.

Otherwise, stunning workmanship! Love the rig.

Not my gun but yes, not my choice of grips. Thank you for compliments. This one was a challenge.

Really nice holster work!

Only observation is why did you run the stitching so far away from the trigger guard out to the barrel?  Your stitching looks great and is tight around the rest of the gun, except for the section mentioned above.

Nice job!

Gary

Scope stopped the gun from going quite as deep as I would have liked. Try as I might it's not a real perfect science. 

Darn nice job! 

Well done sir. 

10 hours ago, Hags said:

Scope stopped the gun from going quite as deep as I would have liked. Try as I might it's not a real perfect science. 

cant you glue it, form it , then punch the stitch lines? 

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

cant you glue it, form it , then punch the stitch lines? 

Hmmmm, could work I suppose. My machine could sew close enough. Just not the way I learned.  I'll have to think about this.

Edited by Hags
Spelling

Very nice work. Would love to see more of how you're doing your straps. 

Edited by JWheeler331

This is a pic of my connectors and straps. The 3 small straps in the upper left connect the holster to the shoulder and chest straps. I use 1" welded rings for the upper front of the shoulder strap and connect both sides to the ring with Chicago screws ( bigger for the holster, smaller for the strap ). I also use the rings for the non-buckle end of the nylon strap (cut to fit the person, + 12 inches or  so for adjustment. The nylon strap goes though the bottom slots on the kinda triangular piece (RH shown) and around to the buckle end on  the rh side for a rightie. The extra goes into a "keeper" for want of a better name. It has 2 slots and a center bar. I thread this on before I go to the buckle and put the end into to keep it out of the way (you can see it on the strap in the pic of the  back of the holster). The shoulder strap goes through the top slot of that piece and gets closed with a Chicago screw. I use purple loctite on the screws on the holster at assembly and the others at final fitting. I used to not have the 1" bag punch and the triangle piece would float back to the left and loosen up. I remedied this with a 1/4 " punch for the leather and a soldering iron for the hole in the nylon pinned with another Chicago screw. With the bag punch the fit is pretty snug and I've had no issues with the attachment point moving. The skinny strap is the belt strap. I put a line 20 snap in the small holes in the right. These are  spaced to fit a 2+in belt the other end attaches with Chicago a screw to the non  buckle side of the chest/nylon strap`s welded ring. This greatly aids getting the gun out one handed. moving. I hope this helps. I'm still learning, and appreciate the feedback I get from this site.

20210311_130047.jpg

20210311_121437.jpg

Edited by Hags
Spelling and content

Thank you!

nice work !

Construction looks purdy good, and that's a nice color ya got there. ;)

As a rule, on that type of holster I like the scope "covered" as in "protected" (from brush n such), though I normally would BEEF UP the form above and in front of the scope so that the holster doesn't actually contact the scope when finished (a bit of clearance there) and then "snug up" the stitch lines elsewhere.  With this length barrel, don't really need to be overly close.  This is a nice rig, no reason he wouldn't be happy with it.  On the NEXT one, I'd likely 'adjust' the stitch line under the gun, not "tight" but make it parallel to the form (cosmetics).

That is a beauty nice work love the sasquatch