RockyAussie

A liitle change to make a BIG differance on Cowboy sewing machines

Been getting a few sales I am happy to say but I need to point out that the needle plate and dog foot sets for the cb 4500 (441 clones) are a different size to the ones made for the Cowboy cb3200. Please be sure to identify which machine model you have when you message me. For any of you that have ordered please feel welcome to post here your findings when you get them. If there are any pictures that would be great. If there are any improvements you think may help.

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Been getting a few sales

That is great as this is a real game changer for the 441 class machines. Great job.

kgg

I wanted to report that I used my narrow Aussie throat plate and feed dog to sew a holster with #277 thread and a #25 needle on my Cowboy CB4500. Previously, I used them to sew a zipper into a cloth coat using #92 thread and a #19 needle. I had to increase the top tension which I had backed off to balance the knots with the lighter thread. I will probably leave this set in place going forward unless I need to use my holster or stirrup plate.

My next narrow set test will be with the inline feet I got from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Previously, I used them with the slotted throat plate sans the feed dog.

FYI: sewing leather on a Juki 441, or a clone, without any feed dog changes the forward stitch length and throws the reverse stitches out of sync (vs using a feed dog). This is because of the leather's drag on the throat plate under the usually high pressure of the inside foot. Without a bottom feeder you only have dual feed. With the dog you have a more predictable triple feed.

Thanks Wiz, #277 is the largest thread I have so this set is likely to stay put on my machine almost permanently. I'm just happy that I'll be able to go down to #138 on thinner materials with minimal adjustment.

Christmas has come a little bit early.:)

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

My next narrow set test will be with the inline feet I got from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Previously, I used them with the slotted throat plate sans the feed dog.

Thanks for that feedback Wiz. I am not sure how that will go on thinner weight stuff as I think the foot would put a fair pressure down into the slot in the needle plate. Might be one instance where the standard narrow needle plate may work better. That said I don't have one of those inline feet to try myself. I have found that other funny foot the comes out the front works well when I want to do something like that oil stone pouch in the picture shown before. This is another couple of pictures showing the foot I mean stitching that same oil pouch.

DSC00108_resize.JPG

DSC00109_resize.JPG

DSC00112_resize.JPG

I will be interested to see how it goes. If it works ok I might just have to get me one of them feet and try it out.

@RockyAussie I sent you an email requesting a price including postage to Northern Ireland (UK) but haven't heard back yet :)

Mb

40 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I have found that other funny foot the comes out the front works well when I want to do something like that oil stone pouch in the picture shown before.

That foot with the flag toe is called a paddle foot in the USA. For those who don't already know this, the paddle foot comes in right and left toe versions that are sold as accessories for the big Cowboy 441 clones.

4 hours ago, michaelcbarr said:

@RockyAussie I sent you an email requesting a price including postage to Northern Ireland (UK) but haven't heard back yet :)

Mb

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have tried to get a price for postage out of Australia Post online and that is not working out. I will have to get into the post office to find out and I live a good ways out of town. I will try and find out tomorrow for you. 

Last I heard, Australia blocked incoming parcels. Could have they blocked outgoing as well?

10 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

Last I heard, Australia blocked incoming parcels. Could have they blocked outgoing as well?

I received my package from Australia last week. It left AUS on a Tuesday (in US Eastern time) and arrived in the US the next day (there is 14 hours difference in time zones) and was delivered to me two days later. There was a long delay getting it out of the country though, at the post office. They are short staffed in AUS too.

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have tried to get a price for postage out of Australia Post online and that is not working out. I will have to get into the post office to find out and I live a good ways out of town. I will try and find out tomorrow for you. 

Brilliant thanks - no rush just making sure you actually received my email :P

No blockages of parcels here in Oz, as Wiz said they are generally understaffed for coping with the massive increase of parcels due to the increase of on-line shopping that co-vid has caused. It's usually quicker for overseas postage than shipping within Oz!!

Brian, where did you get those size 23 needles from? I just remembered that the smallest my local place had was size 24 in round point.

Edited by dikman

On 11/4/2021 at 4:31 AM, michaelcbarr said:

Brilliant thanks - no rush just making sure you actually received my email :P

Sorry for the delay again Michael. Turns out that Australia post will not accept it to NI. Don't know what the issue is but the best method would be via a courier company. Jess will be in contact with you shortly with some details.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, dikman said:

No blockages of parcels here in Oz, as Wiz said they are generally understaffed for coping with the massive increase of parcels due to the increase of on-line shopping that co-vid has caused. It's usually quicker for overseas postage than shipping within Oz!!

Brian, where did you get those size 23 needles from? I just remembered that the smallest my local place had was size 24 in round point.

@dikman I have just checked with Jess and she has some in stock:thumbsup:

Don't know why I didn't think of her. Doh! I should have asked when I ordered the needle plate.:rolleyes2:

I’ve been sewing a bit using the narrow plate and feed dog on my CB4500 and am very pleased with the results.  Latest project was a holster I sewed with 277 thread.  Reverse stitch at the top slipped when the left presser foot slipped off the inside edge of the welt on the reverse stitch, but that was my fault! 

It was 5 layers of 8-9 oz veg tan and new parts worked just fine. I like the idea of widening the range of  weights I can sew on my 4500  projects using a wider range of threads.

53C1868D-3E67-4F4C-98DB-B6F75F334011.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback @garypl. Hopefully some of the other people who now have them will share with us how they found theirs in use. I do gotta ask ...Did you actually get to stitch that holster that close to the edge at that thickness?

When I sew something with multiple layers I scribe my stitch line on the top piece before gluing up the layers.  I normally scribe the line 3/16" in from the edge to provide a little more support. 

After stitching, I sand the edges to make all the layers even and then dye and finish the edges.  Have to admit that I usually get a bit nervous when stitching holsters that total @12mm in thickness at the edge!  If I let the piece tilt just a little or if the needle hits a hard spot somewhere inside the layers and deflects, the bottom stitch can come out the side and that ruins my day!

1 hour ago, garypl said:

If I let the piece tilt just a little or if the needle hits a hard spot somewhere inside the layers and deflects, the bottom stitch can come out the side and that ruins my day!

Truest words that will be spoken today!!  There are many items in saddlery and harness that this can happen if things were not fit up perfectly, or the layers shift the least little bit during stitching, or if the operator isn't paying attention.  It does indeed make for a bad day.

Installed my new "narrow" needle plate and feed dog today. Nicely made, fit my CB4500 perfectly. Test sewed on some 24oz cotton duck canvas and stitched well. Will use with V138 bonded polyester to see how it goes fabricating some products later in the week.

I'm here to tell you that the narrow plate and feeder made a big difference for me. I can use the cb4500 with thick or thin material by just changing the needle and thread. I would normally switch to a different machine for the lighter work. But, some jobs just seem to fit the 4500 architecture better. The 16.5 inch arm being one. Besides, my Techsew 2700 is setup with white #69 thread and a #18 needle and I hate to ramp it up for one job. I use it a lot with that combo. The 4500 can handle #138 thread easily, plus with a leather point needle, but even better with these new parts. Thin or soft work stays on top of the throat plate now.

Ok I'm convinced.

I just spent the weekend getting stuff out of my shed to make room and today I spoke to them on the phone to get a quote for a CB4500.  

Buy once cry once.

You won't regret it (well, you might every time you think of the money!) but it will last you a lifetime, which is more than you can say for a lot of things these days.:specool:

I thought I'd better try out this new plate, I need to make a quiver so after lots of thinking (makes my brains hurt :rolleyes:) I came up with a design, of sorts, using canvas and suede. I figured it would be a good test for the #138, and it won't matter if I stuff up the stitching a bit in the process as it's going to be a knock-about thing anyway. I'll post a photo when it's finished. Unfortunately I've had a few missed stitches and I'm wondering if the hook timing isn't quite accurate enough for the thinner thread (or the thread tension isn't quite right).:dunno:

14 hours ago, JollyDodgerCanvas said:

Installed my new "narrow" needle plate and feed dog today. Nicely made, fit my CB4500 perfectly. Test sewed on some 24oz cotton duck canvas and stitched well. Will use with V138 bonded polyester to see how it goes fabricating some products later in the week.

Good news and thanks for the feedback. Would you be so kind to post some pictures when you finish?

9 hours ago, Spyros said:

Buy once cry once.

You wont be crying for long once you have it in use mate.:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, dikman said:

Unfortunately I've had a few missed stitches and I'm wondering if the hook timing isn't quite accurate enough for the thinner thread (or the thread tension isn't quite right).

Is this with the new needles and needle plate set? I found on mine that I get far less problems with miss stitching than with the original sets. other than timing it could be you may need a shim which Jess will have in stock. I have not needed any on mine but all the same some suede's can sink down in the hole with the needle enough to stop a decent loop forming for the hook to catch well. How far away is your needle from the needle defector you reckon when they are along side? I get away with a gap of 1/2mm (normal printing paper folded over into 4 layers) on a 160 - 23 LR point needle on just about anything you like. That gap means I get all the way out to a 230 - 26 needle without any touching. That gets me right for a TK 350 size 8 metric thread if I wanted to go that thick.

Another think I just thunk......check that your thread return spring is not over travelling.

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Thin or soft work stays on top of the throat plate now.

Warning now @Wizcrafts this set can lead to spoil you. More productivity and production gives more time for .......:cheers:.

Question, what would you think of a sort of a cross of the stirrup plate and the holster plate with an extended height dog foot??? I am thinking for tight gussets and stuff like that. Could be an answer for that tight lot of stitching you get coming up to a tight bend (stirrup) and the big jump gap when you get over the bend.