RockyAussie

A liitle change to make a BIG differance on Cowboy sewing machines

Has anyone determined if this will work on a Cobra class 4?  I thought someone was talking about it.

I requested a price quote several weeks ago (shipping to Missouri) through your email address on the Wild Harry website.  What is the best way to contact you?  I would like to try the plate and feed dog on a Cobra Class 4.

Edited by TomE
additional information

I received the set I ordered for my Cowboy cb3200, and installed it this morning.

The fit is precise, and the finish is well done. I keep this machine set up with 138 thread for lighter work on softer and thinner leather than I do on my Cobra 4, and I’ve had trouble with the edges of my work getting sucked through the slot of my standard plate on this machine.

I just ran a test with some soft chrome tanned leather, and it went very well. I believe this is going to solve my problem.

I’m very pleased.

6 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Warning now @Wizcrafts this set can lead to spoil you. More productivity and production gives more time for .......:cheers:.

Question, what would you think of a sort of a cross of the stirrup plate and the holster plate with an extended height dog foot??? I am thinking for tight gussets and stuff like that. Could be an answer for that tight lot of stitching you get coming up to a tight bend (stirrup) and the big jump gap when you get over the bend.

Let me see what you come up with. I will try it and get back to you. The only issue I see is that the slot would have to be wider to accommodate the feeder. But, I have confidence you can do it. That said, I only use the flat plate for very thick holsters and sheathes to gain a little extra clearance under the feet. It would be worth testing a flat plate with a 1/4 inch slot. I do use the holster plate to get past hardware on the bottom. I would like to try a modified raised holster plate with your narrow feeder style. It will assist to even feeding, especially in reverse (where the unassisted reverse lags).

Brian, I adjusted mine according to Uwe's excellent video so I'm pretty sure my settings are correct. I'm not panicking (yet) as I'll do a bit more experimenting when I've finished this quiver. Yes, new plate set and needle. It occurred to me last night to check the thread path, as whatever the problem is it's relatively minor, and yes, it could be the suede getting pushed down the hole slightly. I'll try a few different materials and see if there's a pattern, I'll find it.

11 hours ago, jrdunn said:

Has anyone determined if this will work on a Cobra class 4?  I thought someone was talking about it.

At the moment I know we have sold a couple to the Cobra class 4 owners and have not heard back that they have had any fitting issues. If anyone can confirm please share your findings.:feedback:

9 hours ago, WolfteverGunleather said:

I received the set I ordered for my Cowboy cb3200, and installed it this morning.

The fit is precise, and the finish is well done. I keep this machine set up with 138 thread for lighter work on softer and thinner leather than I do on my Cobra 4, and I’ve had trouble with the edges of my work getting sucked through the slot of my standard plate on this machine.

I just ran a test with some soft chrome tanned leather, and it went very well. I believe this is going to solve my problem.

I’m very pleased.

Great feedback @WolfteverGunleather Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Let me see what you come up with. I will try it and get back to you. The only issue I see is that the slot would have to be wider to accommodate the feeder. But, I have confidence you can do it. That said, I only use the flat plate for very thick holsters and sheathes to gain a little extra clearance under the feet. It would be worth testing a flat plate with a 1/4 inch slot. I do use the holster plate to get past hardware on the bottom. I would like to try a modified raised holster plate with your narrow feeder style. It will assist to even feeding, especially in reverse (where the unassisted reverse lags).

Only in the drawing up design stages yet and just curious as to the likely interest. I would use it but I always love pushing the limits. They would cost a fair bit to produce so numbers are pretty relevant. If the current sets keep selling well I will give them a trial. 

11 hours ago, TomE said:

I requested a price quote several weeks ago (shipping to Missouri) through your email address on the Wild Harry website.  What is the best way to contact you?  I would like to try the plate and feed dog on a Cobra Class 4.

I am sorry @TomE that I have not received your earlier Email. I have had some trouble in the past getting the notifications going through our website and I thought it was fixed up. Thanks for letting me know, I will look into it again. I  just wonder how many I don't get through that system.:dunno:

I have replied to you on the pm messaging here.

Spent all morning sorting out my machine, it was a combination of things. Now, I haven't used this machine for a while and had threaded the takeup spring wrong (although it still worked as 95% of the stitches were fine). I also checked the needle timing and while it was obviously fine with thicker thread I could see a potential issue with thinner stuff so dropped the needle bar just over 1/2 mm. I re-balanced the bobbin/upper thread tensions, plus I had also forgot to back off the foot pressure for lighter material. After doing all that I could sew two layers of suede with no problems, doubled it up and still good.:)

NOW it's doing what I hoped it would, so for around $140 (plate/feed dog and needles) I've effectively got another machine, in between an upholstery-class and harness stitcher. Impressive. And I'm not posting a picture of the quiver, while it's functional it didn't quite turn out as I envisaged (not pretty!).:rolleyes:

Ordered and paid.  I have to say, after reading this thread I half expect the machine to order the leather, cut it, stitch it and sell it for me :D

Now where would the fun be in that?:lol: What bits did you end up getting with it? I assume you're getting the complete setup with the table?

36 minutes ago, dikman said:

Now where would the fun be in that?:lol: What bits did you end up getting with it? I assume you're getting the complete setup with the table?

yeah I got a whole bunch of stuff.  And now I have to successfully pretend to my wife that I understand what they are :lol:

CB 4500 Cowboy Industrial sewing machines Model: CB4500 Heavy duty, long cylinder arm, industrial sewing machine Includes built-in bobbin winder, spare bobbins, double toe harness foot, smooth feed dog, blanket foot, toothed feed dog, two place thread stand, sewing machine oil and instruction manual 12 month return to base parts and labour warranty, 750W Servo Motor Accessories 750W Servo Motor, Ball Bearing Style Speed Reducers Accessories Ball Bearing Style Speed Reducers, Belt guard for ball bearing speed reducer Safety belt guard for table, Vee Belt size O43 for ball bearing speed reducer Vee Belt size O43 for ball bearing speed reducer, Table Top Accessories ST-04 Table Top, Pedestal Tables ST-04 Accessories Pedestal Tables, M Belt Size 60 Belts M Belt Size 60, CB4500 Parts - Right Toe Edge Foot, #4500F-C1 CB4500 Parts - Left Toe Edge Foot, #4500F-A3 CB4500 Parts - Open Toe Inner Foot, #4500F-A5 CB4500 Parts - Left Toe Harness Foot, #4500F-A6 CB4500 Parts - Right Toe Harness Foot, CB 4500 Roller Guides 4500 Parts CB 4500 Roller Guides, #HT-TA043B CB4500 Stainless Steel Flat Bed Table Attachment, 4500 Narrow Slotted Needle Plate & Feed Dog Set 4500 Narrow Slotted Needle Plate & Feed Dog Set,794 LR #200 25 Sewing needle Schmetz 794 LR #200 size 25, 794 LR #160 23 Sewing needle Schmetz 794 LR #160 size 23, Bonded polyester thread 1800mtrs Size M10/277 White Bonded polyester thread 1800mtrs Size M10 (277) White, Freight Package and delivery to TNT depot, Bonded polyester UV 1500m Size 138/ M20 Natural White Bonded polyester UV

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

cut it

Mmmmm.... interesting.... nothing hanging out the back of that big flywheel side :Lighten::crazy:

14 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Mmmmm.... interesting.... nothing hanging out the back of that big flywheel side :Lighten::crazy:

dress it with cocobolo and make it a burnisher :P

Not much missing from that list, Spyros.:specool: I reckon, though, once you get that narrow plate fitted and sorted you're not likely to use much of the other bits, other than maybe a couple of the different feet. I've never bothered fitting the belt guards as I always find them a nuisance.

Exciting times ahead.:yes:

Edited by dikman

13 hours ago, Squilchuck said:

Just stitched with this narrow plate and feed dog on my Cobra 4. Works like a charm! --John

Hey John, Thanks for letting us know. Since you have posted this I already have a couple of other Cobra 4 owners wanting them. I owe you :cheers:

On 11/29/2021 at 10:01 PM, jrdunn said:

@jrdunn I think that about answers your question. ;)

I’m in the USA, this order was submitted Nov 23, it was unloaded from the ship on Dec 4th (12 days) and I’m guessing it will take another 2 weeks to get here in NC. I like the pre woke days when it just took about 12 to 14 days to get here!

Gov Newsome stop trying to hurt our economy 

On 12/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, RockyAussie said:

Hey John, Thanks for letting us know. Since you have posted this I already have a couple of other Cobra 4 owners wanting them. I owe you :cheers:

@jrdunn I think that about answers your question. ;)

How do I order please

37 minutes ago, Samv said:

How do I order please

You contact him via our private message system.

Thanks much

So yeah, the courier picked up my cb4500 on the 7th from Brissie, 12 days later it's still on the road apparently... shame, I was hoping to have it for Xmas.

14 hours ago, Spyros said:

So yeah, the courier picked up my cb4500 on the 7th from Brissie, 12 days later it's still on the road apparently... shame, I was hoping to have it for Xmas.

That is bad. Did the camel get covid?

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

That is bad. Did the camel get covid?

The combined TNT/FEDEX IQ hit an all time low. 

After 40 minutes on hold on the phone I found that they were told to ring me to collect, which obviously they didn't, and the tracking number still shows "IN TRANSIT" as we speak, so I had no way of knowing that the machine has been waiting for me at the depot for 10 days.   It's now in the back of my van (took a bit of a forklift artist to squeeze it in there, God bless that kid)

Edited by Spyros

Usually it's Aus Post that does that. I've had several items that said "In Transit" (as in NOT at my local depot) only to have them delivered that day.:rolleyes2:

Still, at least you've got it. Now the fun begins.:yes:

Good thing is I had the time to quickly build a small shed in the back, to make some room for the machine in the workshop otherwise I had no idea where to put it.

DSCF7084-L.jpg

But now she's here and all set up.  You guys were not kidding, she's a beast

DSCF7083-XL.jpg

After a couple of youtubes this was my very first machine stitch with a 200/25 Shmetz needle and some 277 thread:

DSCF7077-XL.jpg

So looking at this thing, the stitching is clearly slanted.  I don't mind how it looks to be honest, after all this is exactly what my hand stitching looks like, but I couldn't figure out how the hell is that even possible to get a stitch looking like that from a machine.  But then looking more carefully I realised the actual needle has a slanted point. 

It's kind of hard to photograph but you can probably see it here

DSCF7090-XL.jpg

I didn't know they make needles like that... I wonder if all those people practicing for years to get their hand stitching to look slanted actually know that you can do this with a machine LOL

Now, the back is a different story, it doesn't look as good:

DSCF7078-L.jpg

Those are some pretty big exit wounds hehe

Anything I can do about the back or that's just how it is?

Edited by Spyros