RockyAussie

A liitle change to make a BIG differance on Cowboy sewing machines

Rocky,

Yes, it's counting up when the power is on. On the airplanes, there always a tach meter that counted when RPMs rose above above a certain point, but the rentals liked to have the timer start when the master switch was turned on, and off when shut down. Got to bill for taxi and run-up time, not just flight time.

In the UK we tend to record Take off to Touch down and charge for that Taxi and engine tests are free. A good benefit when using main airports with long taxiways and runways, Engine hours are for the engine logs and checks

Edited by chrisash

Just installed my n arrow plate and feed dog and  will be running it on #92 thread for an order for some narrow woman's and children's belts. I am very pleased with the test stitching. Are there any down sides of leaving the narrow plate in place when  switch back to 138 thread with a 23 needle?  I can't see why not but welcome comments.

Great job on this item!! Well made and easy to install. I was having trouble when I first tested it. I realized I had forgotten to thread the needle!!

Bob

21 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

Just installed my n arrow plate and feed dog and  will be running it on #92 thread for an order for some narrow woman's and children's belts. I am very pleased with the test stitching. Are there any down sides of leaving the narrow plate in place when  switch back to 138 thread with a 23 needle?  I can't see why not but welcome comments.

Great job on this item!! Well made and easy to install. I was having trouble when I first tested it. I realized I had forgotten to thread the needle!!

Bob

Since I changed over to the Aussie narrow feed dog and throat plate I've left them in. We sew holsters with them just fine using #277 thread. This set should have been a factory option. The real advantage is that narrow straps don't get pushed into the slot like on the standard plate and soft material isn't pushed inside the feed dog as easily. I think that we could use another feed dog that fits in the narrow throat plate, but with a smaller hole that clears a #23 needle, maximum. 

The other day I needed to use my raised holster plate. The narrow feed dog cleared the bottom with ease. No need to lower it.

18 minutes ago, howie696 said:

Just wondering how do I purchase a set for the 3200?

TIA

Just PM me here with your address details and I will get back with the costs and details.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Since I changed over to the Aussie narrow feed dog and throat plate I've left them in. We sew holsters with them just fine using #277 thread. This set should have been a factory option. The real advantage is that narrow straps don't get pushed into the slot like on the standard plate and soft material isn't pushed inside the feed dog as easily. I think that we could use another feed dog that fits in the narrow throat plate, but with a smaller hole that clears a #23 needle, maximum. 

The other day I needed to use my raised holster plate. The narrow feed dog cleared the bottom with ease. No need to lower it.

Good news! I usually allow around 1/4" for stitching but now I'm going for 1/8" with the new setup. Works a treat! I have also purchased some 92 thread and 19 needles to expand the work I can take on. I just had a job to replace the canvas strap on an expensive Dooney and Burke shoulder bag with leather. I was able to almost exactly match the stitching with the new setup and the new strap looked OEM. Customer was thrilled!  Thanks Rocky!!

On 3/6/2022 at 3:22 AM, RockyAussie said:

Looks a bit like my first efforts when I was working out how to make them. I eventually made the needle plate shaped to allow smaller gussets and stuff to run through. As in this pic -

DSC01791_resize.JPG

Something you can do pretty easy but the dog foot may be a whole other story.....There is not a lot of metal in the web to support this shape and CNC cutting I think you will find will not give you the strength needed to resist the pressure of the foot bending the feed dog down and into the needle plate. This is why we decided to go with the casting and hardening process as the original machine makers have as well. If you stick to the light weight work it may be alright maybe.

You can do as Wiz said and use a washer instead IF you can get the right thickness to suit what adjustment is needed. Some machines can go out of adjustment and they can be hard to get every thing back where they should be. With this shim with the slot method the more in and down it goes the more the adjustment plate is angled forward and thus limiting the reverse length stitch to where it may need to be. Depending on the thickness of leather that gets used on a given job the amount that the adjustment plate needs to be angled may differ from a thinner or thicker job and this gives a quick and easy way to do any correction that may be needed. Some Adler machines along this line used an angle iron shape with adjustable pins that allowed you to limit both the forward and reverse stitch lengths. Myself... although my machine does do a good job at reverse stitching I never trust that I am going to get the needle back in the hole exactly where I want it to go so I just lift the foot and go back by hand a few times. If the machine does it it can spear and cut the threads a bit more than I do. Note: most of the stuff I make is out of crocodile and pretty high end so maybe I am over fussy.

Excellent reply.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:11 AM, BDAZ said:

Good news! I usually allow around 1/4" for stitching but now I'm going for 1/8" with the new setup. Works a treat! I have also purchased some 92 thread and 19 needles to expand the work I can take on. I just had a job to replace the canvas strap on an expensive Dooney and Burke shoulder bag with leather. I was able to almost exactly match the stitching with the new setup and the new strap looked OEM. Customer was thrilled!  Thanks Rocky!!

Thanks for the feedback @BDAZ

Thank you as well @sbrownn

On 8/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the feedback @BDAZ

Thank you as well @sbrownn

SShhhh! Don't tell my wife I can repair her Dooney & Bourke purses!

23 hours ago, alpha2 said:

SShhhh! Don't tell my wife I can repair her Dooney & Bourke purses!

What....that's that black duck mob is it not??? You should be making her some alpha2 better stuff that does not need repairing now. :whistle:

15 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

What....that's that black duck mob is it not??? You should be making her some alpha2 better stuff that does not need repairing now. :whistle:

I've made  her a couple, not D&B level, though. 

11 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I've made  her a couple, not D&B level, though. 

I bet she loves the ones you made more. Any pics to share?

On 8/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, RockyAussie said:

I bet she loves the ones you made more. Any pics to share?

She doesn't carry the D&B's anymore, she still uses mine. She specifically asked for something small she could put just a few essentials in trips when she didn't need or want to carry a big one. Brown is first attempt, based on that one, she made some requests for the second, blue one. They were a learning experience. Not something I would want to do a lot of. In fact, I believe two was enough. I believe I hand stitched the first one, machine stitched the second one. 

FirstPurse700k.jpg

jenny20back.jpg

jennybag20front.jpg..jpg

Edited by alpha2

Rocky Aussie, I have the narrow set, but I’m wondering if you make a flat plate that fits the CB 4500? I want to use Uwe’s in-line pressure foot without changing everything back and forth

6 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Rocky Aussie, I have the narrow set, but I’m wondering if you make a flat plate that fits the CB 4500? I want to use Uwe’s in-line pressure foot without changing everything back and forth

Not at present friend but it is a good idea let me see what I can come up with.

This is the D&B bag that I made the leather strap for. Would not have been possible with out Rocky's gear!  This was a shot take before I had finished edging the strap and making the 2nd keeper. Not my cup of tea but I like to help out when the locals are quited rip off prices. I am now resoring and relacing a 60s vintage base ball glove....last time I touched one was in the 60s..The customer was quoted $150 by the local sporting goods shop.
Bob

Dooney-and-Bourke-small.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

On 8/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, dikman said:

To my un-tutored eye, and with nil experience in bag-making, they look excellent!:specool:

I LOVE people like you! Thanks!:P

Hi, 

I've been trying to decide between a cb341 and a cb3200 based on this thread I feel like RockyAzzie's modification it should be good for me.

Can you confirm he is still making and selling them?

I do lighter stuff bit I like a thicker thread so think the cb3200 will be best for me.

I want to do

Bags, wallets, valets, belts, and things of that nature plus hobby boots, some upholstery for my furniture and car upholstery,  I'd also like to be able to do things like redo my curtains.

The local dealer has a cb341 for about 2/3 the price of the cb3200 and I'm very torn.

Just read this thread and want a narrow plate set for my 3200.  I PMed you RockyAussie.  GREAT IDEA...!!!

On 9/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, Jayrnz01 said:

Hi, 

I've been trying to decide between a cb341 and a cb3200 based on this thread I feel like RockyAzzie's modification it should be good for me.

Can you confirm he is still making and selling them?

I do lighter stuff bit I like a thicker thread so think the cb3200 will be best for me.

I want to do

Bags, wallets, valets, belts, and things of that nature plus hobby boots, some upholstery for my furniture and car upholstery,  I'd also like to be able to do things like redo my curtains.

The local dealer has a cb341 for about 2/3 the price of the cb3200 and I'm very torn.

I feel your pain so have pm'd  you  back. Best regards

Brian

On 9/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, msdeluca said:

Just read this thread and want a narrow plate set for my 3200.  I PMed you RockyAussie.  GREAT IDEA...!!!

Sorry to take this long to answer, I have been flat out making 3d casting molds for other makers over here  of late.

You should have a set soon Michael. I have pm you back.

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Sorry to take this long to answer, I have been flat out making 3d casting molds for other makers over here  of late.

You should have a set soon Michael. I have pm you back.

I got your email, Brian.  I'll be waiting for Jess' invoice.  I have to tell you; I was developing a real love/hate relationship with my 3200.  I love the machine, but it frustrated me due to the material continually getting sucked into the abyss and screwing up my edge stitching.  I know, don't blame the tool.... I'm not... I'm elated over the improvement to a nearly great product.

Thanks,
Mike

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I have been flat out making 3d casting molds for other makers over here  of late.

Nicely done.

kgg