Rbarleatherworks

Replacing Quad Seat Questions

Hi all :wavey:

I have had a project come to me that I am looking forward to tackling but I have a few questions.

I have recovered a few Dirt Bike Seats in the past but the seat and foam itself was all intact so they were fairly simple.. but now I have a Seat from a Quad and the cover and Foam are quite damaged.

So I am looking for some tips on replacing the foam... (ie. Type of Foam, how to Cut and Shape it to the seat & how to attach it, and any other considerations.)

I have already bought some Marine Vinyl for the top.

I realize this is not a leather related question but I thought the repair process is similar to many leather seats that it would be ok to post ... if it is not OK please free to remove.

Thanks,

Regan :)

From what little vinyl experience I've had . . . just one note of caution.

You will have to have that foam trimmed REALLY close to the shape you want it.  Even marine vinyl . . . thick and tough as it it . . .  it also is unforgiving if there is a valley or hill in the foam.  That valley or hill will show up worse than coal soot on newly fallen snow. 

AND . . . actually cutting the foam just a tad bigger allows the vinyl to cover up some of those problem areas.

Leather is much more forgiving (and problem hiding) than vinyl.

May God bless,

Dwight

Regan,

A picture of your seat might help.  I am picturing an ATV seat.  Is that correct?  I think some have seams.  My Artic Cat had one piece of formed vinyl.  I have to admit to buying the cover for it and installing it.  I couldn't figure out how to form it or replace the forming with seams for a quality look.

Jim

Edited by jrdunn

G'Day,  

I'm not an upholsterer , but I have done the occasional job, including recovering M/C seats, and while they were not very professional,  the clients were quite happy .    The one pictured  first was quite damaged by the elements   . I carefully shaped the foam  to approximate the original shape and covered it in vinyl. I used contact adhesive to repair the foam. 

The last pic was pleated , I used ' Cerex**'  (automotive)  foam , it has a backing to prevent the thread pulling through  and was  recovered with automotive upholstery leather . If you're to do any pleating, practice first on some scraps ,..... making sure the ' Cerex' foam is the right way up  :)

I'm currently upholstering some 60's - '70's office chairs  in vinyl atm. 

** you may have a different name for it over your way.

HS

M-C Seat Repair & Recover 2019 011.jpg

M-C Seat Repair & Recover 2019 013.jpg

M-C Seat Repair & Recover 2019 016.jpg

Upholstered MC Seat 2.JPG

Edited by Handstitched

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences I really appreciate that. 

I did watch a YouTube Video on recovering and learned tons so I think I might have enough info now to move forward and feel confident.  Ive learned that an Electric Knife is your best friend for cutting the foam and an angle grinder for shaping :thumbsup:  The fellow I watched used a spray on adhesive but I don't have that set up so I hope Contact Cement will do the trick.

Here is a pick of the seat ... and yes ATV seat would be the proper term for it .. sorry for any confusion.

Quad Seat 3 Re.JPG

@Rbarleatherworks

One other thing I did was to use heaps of  newspaper, and tape, to 'approximate'/ 'extrapolate'   a template  before removing the remains of the vinyl . It did help, sorta  :)

They really are called ' quad bikes' here in Oz   :)

HS

M-C Seat Repair & Recover 2019 007.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Good thinking @Handstitched, Thanks for that tip :)