64poncho

Cleaning machine

Hi to everyone! I’m new to the site. Lots of knowledge to be gained here.
Just got a Consew 226.  Mechanisms are good but needs a little TLC.  It came from an upholstery shop, so it has a good bit of dust build up around the oiled parts. Like to know the best way to clean / degrease it. Didn’t want to use a water based product like Gunk, that used for cleaning engines. So I wouldn’t have to dry it off / out. 
Thanks!

F47F4BDD-3CF9-4686-B04E-5BDFDF6EC2E5.thumb.jpeg.beb2a54093ccf0157c36c5deddb7c486.jpeg

41787F7F-4D89-433C-93CA-2E94304ABA16.jpeg.e525a17fdbd69adb8318341b3292b333.jpeg

21 minutes ago, 64poncho said:

Like to know the best way to clean / degrease it.

When I have restored a machine that has really seized parts, I have used diesel fuel with parts cleaning brushes with metal or plastic bristles but it has do be done with caution and outdoors. For most I either flush or soak using my own formula of full synthetic motor and transmission oils. There is a lot less odor and quickly breaks through buildup as well as lubricating. I still use parts cleaning brushes with metal or plastic bristles but have been known to use old tooth brushes and a lot of rags / paper towels to soak up any mess.

kgg

1 hour ago, 64poncho said:

Just got a Consew 226.  Mechanisms are good but needs a little TLC.  It came from an upholstery shop, so it has a good bit of dust build up around the oiled parts. Like to know the best way to clean

IMHO .. that not looking to bad at all . I don't see any rust or pitting . as long as it not froze with old varnished oil ? .
Just looks like it was neglected on any cleaning .

Me .. I would just blow it all out with Air Hose, and then manual oil All friction points , taking my time and rotating the hand wheel . Then string it up, and turn-ON the motor drive . Run it for hour or so sewing lightweight scraps, then get a good feel for what you got going on mechanically .
I would just lay a small towel in the bottom of the oil drip-pan , Then after you over-oil the whole machine, you can clean the drip-pan out latter.

After blowing it all out with Air . If it tight rolling and sticking with rotating hand wheel . I would pump some hot air to it with Hair Dryer on Hot . or a heat gun set on 'low heat' . That will loosen all the old oil and lint and get all rolling smooth .

Thanks  kgg and nylonRigging for the suggestions. The machine is not bound up. I sewed with it before I bought it. Everything works as it should. Will do a little of both, some fuel, brushes and compressed air blow off. Then lube everything.

Thanks again!

I've also used ' Q' tips, or  ear buds to get into the little nooks & crannies. The ones that are currently used to stick up your nose would be good, longer sticks  :)

HS

Handstitched, That’s a good idea! Never thought of that. I’m always thinking cleaning on heavy equipment.

I’ll be looking into finding some.

Thanks

Before you blow w/air spray everything with some PB Blaster or WD40 then blow it off,seems to clean it better,but don't worry too much about the lint it really won't hurt the machine as long as you use the clear sewing machine oil on it which will flush alot of it out on it's own.

So do you have a Pontiac?

Thanks for that CowboyBob,  Cleaning the machine will be this weeks project. 
Yes, I do have a Pontiac. It’s a 64 Lemans, that is a GTO clone.

18 hours ago, 64poncho said:

Thanks for that CowboyBob,  Cleaning the machine will be this weeks project. 
Yes, I do have a Pontiac. It’s a 64 Lemans, that is a GTO clone.

Nice,i have a 64 GTO too.

That’s very cool! :thumbsup: 

Finally got the machined cleaning finished today. Need to get it all oiled now!030FA373-C483-4554-B23C-2204382F9C02.jpeg.61321a2eb97c08bcc668f3a05d9bff35.jpeg89E48E57-418E-4589-988C-41D428793B3C.jpeg.29b043b538bedcb83d32fa0df499bbaf.jpeg

Edited by 64poncho

23 minutes ago, 64poncho said:

Finally got the machined cleaning finished today.

Nice work.

kgg

Thanks!