TheMackinaw

LEATHER THINNING IN THE UK

I have used this company before 

http://www.leatherthinning.co.uk/index.htm

They do a good job but by the time you take into account postage to and from, and possible double processing charges it can work out expensive for small quantities. 

Other than that I have looked myself and not found anywhere in London that offers a thinning service. 

1 hour ago, TheMackinaw said:

Hi folks,

Anyone know the cheapest/most affordable place to get leather thinned in London or the UK?

For example a half butt thinned from 2.5m to 1.5m

Thanks,

Thomas

If you're in London you should aquaint yourself with J T Batchelor In Dalston. I believe they do it and much more magical stuff as well.

I did ask one of the staff in there one day and he said they did not. I’ll ask again next time I am in.

7 minutes ago, Dunluce said:

I did ask one of the staff in there one day and he said they did not. I’ll ask again next time I am in.

There's another side to their business a couple of doors down where they make stuff. I'd be surprised if they don't. You can even use their big clicker press for a consideration. 

The Little Workshop (a few doors down from JTB) definitely has a band-knife splitter (or it did about 3 years ago when I last used it). From memory it's either 12" or 18" capacity. A reasonable charge per hour, or a small donation to their tea/coffee/biscuits fund if you only want to do a few bits.

I've never been sure exactly what the relationship is between JTB and Little Workshop. Certainly they work closely together, but I think they may be operated separately.