Tim Schroeder

Belt Stiffener

Just curious if anybody puts anything in their belts to keep them from bending in the middle of the back.

No, but less belly up front helps. LOL.  I don't use any stiffeners.  I know some have used thin metal, especially on gun belts.

Funny you mention this as I was just looking at one of my belts the other day and noticing the bends in it.  It is not lined, so that probably exacerbates it.  The belt looks fine when it is worn, so I'm not sweating it.  But if you like your belts to hang straight, then maybe a stiffener would be appropriate.

why would you want to?  it would make it uncomfortable imo our bods aren't perfect in shape so the leather conforms instead.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

why would you want to?  it would make it uncomfortable imo our bods aren't perfect in shape so the leather conforms instead.

:17:

I make my casual belts from 9-10 oz bridle and work them/wear them until they're soft, until now I never heard of inserting a stiffener in a belt!!!

Edited by Squid61
spelling.

I uise 3/4

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I use 7/8''' metal banding strap ,  For tool belts and open carry belts

WHY?  their are those that want that belt to be stiff and they pay big bucks for you to make it that way

8 hours ago, Frodo said:

I use 7/8''' metal banding strap ,  For tool belts and open carry belts

WHY?  their are those that want that belt to be stiff and they pay big bucks for you to make it that way

I can understand some heavy weight bearing belts benefiting from a steel core but for the majority it makes no sense.  The customers are entitled to what they're willing to pay for of course, as long as it isn't unobtainium enhanced.

19 hours ago, Squid61 said:

I can understand some heavy weight bearing belts benefiting from a steel core but for the majority it makes no sense.  The customers are entitled to what they're willing to pay for of course, as long as it isn't unobtainium enhanced.

I would say that  90 to 95 % of the people i make gun belts for will NOT accept a belt that is nor banded

It is actually industry standard when n buying gun belts

Tony Gonzales uses poaster board as his liner, {I do not agree with that practice but whatever}

I have a friend that uses 3/4'' plastic, I use steel, 

Now, lets talk about leather.  In my opinion. Buffalo is a stronger leather than cow If you double a buffalo 8oz belt   make it 16oz you do not need to add a stiffner. again, It is what a customer wants to pay for.  I like doubled belts.  I can hide a blade between layers

20200130_155346.jpg

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

It is actually industry standard when n buying gun belts

It probably is industry standard for those promoting gunbelts with stiffeners . . .  but that is very much like saying that Chevrolet is the industry standard for trucks.

Just one opinion . . . that may or may not be shared with the rest of the world.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

Now, lets talk about leather.  In my opinion. Buffalo is a stronger leather than cow If you double a buffalo 8oz belt   make it 16oz you do not need to add a stiffner. again, It is what a customer wants to pay for. 

And horse is better yet. Far denser than either beef or buffalo. Two layers of horse butt and no stiffener is going to improve it.

3 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

And horse is better yet. Far denser than either beef or buffalo. Two layers of horse butt and no stiffener is going to improve it.

I did not know that. Thanks. 

i could use a good stiff belt. lol.