chrisash

Positive and negative Die plates

Looking to print out a negative plus a positive Die plate to emboss or deboss say 2mm leather rather than just use one die

My question is how do you adjust one of the plates for the thickness of the leather, is it just a case of expanding the design on the female  plate by 2mm as a total percentage

Edited by chrisash

No, each element needs 2mm added to each side

Lets say you have a straight line 3mm wide and 2mm deep on the male plate. The female accepting that would need to be 2 + 3 + 2 wide = 7mm wide and 2 +2mm deep = 4 mm to allow 2mm leather to fit in between

Thanks Fred but still confused

Cannot get a grip on the detail inside the female plate, say the male had letters xyz proud on the plate, there is no room to have a gap around the letters on the female plate. Just cannot visualise it, single plate is easy but looking at a more complex design with two plates one embossed the other debossed

all surfaces would need to  be offset by the thickness of the leather (or close to it).  How critical the difference would depend on what you're molding - with letters I'd think you'd want it pretty close.

23 hours ago, chrisash said:

Looking to print out a negative plus a positive Die plate to emboss or deboss say 2mm leather rather than just use one die

My question is how do you adjust one of the plates for the thickness of the leather, is it just a case of expanding the design on the female  plate by 2mm as a total percentage

i dont know a thing about the process, why would it be better than just one plate? do you want the impression on both sides? my puny mind says make them fit exactly together and the leather will form to them wont it, just like it conforms by stamping? 

Its to get a much better raised impression as the bottom plate presses up and the top plate down. trouble is the material be it leather or say steel must have room between them both, so in this case the top (Female) would be larger to allow for the thickness

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Its to get a much better raised impression as the bottom plate presses up and the top plate down. trouble is the material be it leather or say steel must have room between them both, so in this case the top (Female) would be larger to allow for the thickness

i'm familiar with metal stamping raised plates as we had a license plate factory in our prison that made raised numeral plates. There is space for the steel in that case but the two plates only raise the outline of the numerals, there are no special designs on the raised numbers or letters as may be the case with leather. So wouldn't you have to provide some ability of the plates to also stamp the picture, logo whatever also, maybe a millimeter deep impression? if you just made the space the same thickness as the leather then you would only get a raised blank impression? in my new thinking you would want the perimeter difference the same thickness as the leather but on the top there would be space amouting to the depth of the image wanted minus the total thickness.

here is an example of what I'm thinking lol   2mm leather raised 2mm with 1 mm deep stamped impression = 2mm space around all the edge of the 2mm thick bottom plate with only 1 mm space on the top to press the impression into the leather 1mm. the top plate then would have to be  3mm deep to provide for the 2mm raise plus the 1 mm impression. The bottom plate could be blank and work just as well couldn't it? 

Edited by chuck123wapati