Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to this and still learning tricks of the trade, honestly the reason I got into it was all because I was searching for a pair of nice pair of soft sole moccasins and couldn’t find ones I like so, I decided I would make my own.

My first attempt honestly did not go well I learned a lot about what not to do and things I can do differently second pair was made from pieces of suede I found at hobby lobby, I can’t count how many times I stitched ,unstitched ,modified my pattern and did it again, after about 2 weeks of working on them on and off I was finally done, and I’m pretty sure I work them consistently the entirety of the whole COVID lockdown, my next few pairs were for my girlfriend and at the time 2 children.

After wearing them around for sometime people started to show some interest in them and I had a few requests for some custom designs ( side note, I don’t know about you guys but the moment you hand the finished product to the customer is absolutely terrifying, but seeing the reactions when they saw them and put them on was one of the coolest feelings I have ever felt, 

since then I haven’t had a lot of time but I managed to make a few other pairs I still need to post on to my Reddit which I will link my forum because I have no idea how to get pictures on here haha 

but any input or advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks for reading!

https://www.reddit.com/r/BessMoccasins/

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.  Most folks are understandably hesitant about clicking on links that takes them offsite so you may not get much of a response.    For folks have difficult posting pictures because most phone picture sizes are way too big.  I've learned to take the picture on my phone and text it to myself to make the image size smaller to post.   Others here will have other and probably techniques.  

But, I did take a peek at your images on reddit.   Pretty cool and comfy looking, especially the low top Inca style.  

Hello neighbor and welcome to the group. 

Welcome! 

The only moccasins I ever made were from a kit at Boy Scout camp. I wore them until they fell apart.

However, I ran across a book years ago that may interest you. The author talks through how to design (and size) moccasins, and then how to make MANY different styles. It's the "Craft Manual of North American Indian Footwear", by George M. White. Amazon lists two slightly-used copies today; you may be able to find it elsewhere.

If I recall correctly, there's a pattern in the book called "Giljak Sakhalin". To my mind, it's the best-looking design in the book. From the name, though, I get a sneaking suspicion that it's not "North American". :-) 

Waitaminnit ... The book's last printing was in 1992. According to Amazon, the book was revised and updated in 2013. It's now called "Native American Moccasins: A Craft Manual." I know what's going on my Christmas list!

craft_manual2.jpg

craft_manual1.jpg

Edited by OldCanuck
typo

Grand Haven, here.

Welcome from wunerful Wyoming.

Awesome moc's. Since you can only wear one pair at a time I would like to be put into the rotation,lol.:spoton:

On 12/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, OldCanuck said:

Welcome! 

The only moccasins I ever made were from a kit at Boy Scout camp. I wore them until they fell apart.

However, I ran across a book years ago that may interest you. The author talks through how to design (and size) moccasins, and then how to make MANY different styles. It's the "Craft Manual of North American Indian Footwear", by George M. White. Amazon lists two slightly-used copies today; you may be able to find it elsewhere.

If I recall correctly, there's a pattern in the book called "Giljak Sakhalin". To my mind, it's the best-looking design in the book. From the name, though, I get a sneaking suspicion that it's not "North American". :-) 

Waitaminnit ... The book's last printing was in 1992. According to Amazon, the book was revised and updated in 2013. It's now called "Native American Moccasins: A Craft Manual." I know what's going on my Christmas list!

craft_manual2.jpg

craft_manual1.jpg

Well . . . by golly . . . just a big up and "THANK YOU" . . . 

I have a very serious case of neuropathy in my feet . . . at times I can barely even wear shoes . . . found one style of tennis shoes I can wear . . . own 4 pairs of them.

They are colder than anything I've ever worn.

I have played a bit trying to come up with something that would work to keep my feet warm . . . easy on and easy off . . . and light and comfortable.

There is one less of those books on sale today . . . will be delivered sometime next week.

Again . . . thank you for the pointer.

May God bless,

Dwight