Three of the last 5 projects have involved suspenders . . . of one sort or another.

Finally . . . I got to do just a pair of suspenders for a preacher friend of mine.  It's imitation gator hide . . . two layers bonded back to back with Weldwood . . .  horse tack to hold em on the belt loops . . . buckles up front to adjust with.

Just might up and make me a pair.

May God bless,

Dwight

dorsal suspenders 110521 a.jpg

dorsal suspenders 110521 b.jpg

dorsal suspenders 110521 c.jpg

Simple and practical. Love them!

beautiful work!!  i made a pair just about like that for myself. They are comfortable for sure. 

made mine adjustable in the back, as well, with a 232 buckle

1 hour ago, GatoGordo said:

Don't they need some elastic so they can adjust when bending and sitting?

No . . .  if they are adjusted to the right size . . . and have smooth leather on the inside so they slide easy . . . they're no problem.

That's the 4th pair I've done in the recent past . . . none had elastic . . . no complaints at all.

May God bless,

Dwight

41 minutes ago, Dwight said:

No . . .  if they are adjusted to the right size . . . and have smooth leather on the inside so they slide easy . . . they're no problem.

That's the 4th pair I've done in the recent past . . . none had elastic . . . no complaints at all.

May God bless,

Dwight

How do you determine length for all the pieces I've been wanting to make a few pairs but never new how to determine length of the different straps 

What I do is simply measure from the belt loop in the center of the back . . . up over the shoulder . . . to the front loop on the britches.

Then it is a matter of deciding "Y" shape or "H" shape . . . making a pattern for the pieces . .  . and going from there.

I don't have time right now . . . but later today if I can . . . I'll show you my patterns laid out on the work bench for that last pair.

May God bless,

Dwight

I appreciate this Dwight 

11 hours ago, Nick33 said:

I appreciate this Dwight 

Here you are my friend . . . the grid on that table top is all 1 inch squares . . .

The white piece with the kinda circle at the top is the back piece . . . add 2 1/2 inches to what you see there on the grid . . . that is to fold under and rivet.

The shorter white piece is the adjustment piece up front with the buckle . . . add 5 inches to what you see . . . to fold under and rivet.

I make the actual suspender straps 1 1/4 inches wide or 1 1/2 inches wide . . . depending on what they are doing . . . etc.

The brown strap is part of a test pair I use to measure the person with.  I had to take them apart for another reason . . . and don't have them back together or I would show you them.

But anyway . . . that's the pattern that will get you the suspenders I made shown earlier in this thread.  Have fun.

May God bless,

Dwight

suspenders.jpg

Can I ask because I can't tell from the photos... if this is two layers bonded together, are they then stitched?  or just relying on the glue to keep them together?

38 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Can I ask because I can't tell from the photos... if this is two layers bonded together, are they then stitched?  or just relying on the glue to keep them together?

Not glue . . .  Weldwood contact cement . . . way better stuff

May God bless,

Dwight

24 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Not glue . . .  Weldwood contact cement . . . way better stuff

May God bless,

Dwight

Gotcha. 

I thought it strange at first not to have any stitching, but the more I think about it, a suspender is permanently pulled downwards and never sideways, so it doesn't really have any reason to come apart even if the cement weakens over time.

Wow, I like them.

Nice work!