Br902389

First Project - Desk Pad - What size and type of leather?

Hello!  

I love all my leather products... started looking for a desk pad and was unable to find exactly what I wanted.    I started watching You Tube videos and looking at some of the leather stores such as Tandy and would like to try to build one myself!    I notice most places sell by Sq Ft and any sites I can find with panels are not quite large enough for what I need.   I need a minimum of 3ft x 2ft for the desk pad and not sure if this would be a double shoulder or a side?   Any tips for someone who has NEVER bought raw leather like this before?    

I am ok with some left overs.... I would also like to try and get a Mouse pad,  made some coasters,  key chains and some other small items to practice with before I try and tackle the large piece.   I have been working on a list of all the tools I need and it seems quite doable especially given what I was looking at spending prior @ Saddleback and some other stores for a desk pad and mouse pad alone.  

Any help or tips would be much appreciated as so far my only experiance doing this is watching YouTube :) 

Thanks!

On 11/7/2021 at 7:09 AM, Br902389 said:

Hello!  

I love all my leather products... started looking for a desk pad and was unable to find exactly what I wanted.    I started watching You Tube videos and looking at some of the leather stores such as Tandy and would like to try to build one myself!    I notice most places sell by Sq Ft and any sites I can find with panels are not quite large enough for what I need.   I need a minimum of 3ft x 2ft for the desk pad and not sure if this would be a double shoulder or a side?   Any tips for someone who has NEVER bought raw leather like this before?    

I am ok with some left overs.... I would also like to try and get a Mouse pad,  made some coasters,  key chains and some other small items to practice with before I try and tackle the large piece.   I have been working on a list of all the tools I need and it seems quite doable especially given what I was looking at spending prior @ Saddleback and some other stores for a desk pad and mouse pad alone.  

Any help or tips would be much appreciated as so far my only experiance doing this is watching YouTube :) 

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like a fun project!  Are you planning on doing any tooling to the leather?  Are you planning on stitching on it?  One thought would be to get a 5/6oz vegetable tan leather piece from the local leather store.  You can buy a good size piece for $45-$75 depending on sales of import leather.  These will have a much slicker top surface due to the process in which they tan the leather.  Or you can use Hermann Oak (a tannery) or Wickett-Craig (also a tannery) tanned in the US.  The US made will be more pricey.  The 5/6 oz is a good weight for the other projects you listed as well.

If you decide to do tooling, make sure to tape the back with painter's tape or clear packing tape to keep it from becoming larger.  As you make impressions with tooling, it will expand the size of your piece.  If you decide you want to do some stitching, you could still use 5/6 oz. leather, or use two pieces of 3/4 oz. leather back to back.  Hope this helps.

Thanks!! I was going to stitch around the sides of the desk mat and mouse pad and maybe do some designs in it as well.   I will keep that in mind with the tape!

I am not sure where to go around here to buy leather like that.   If I do order online what would be the best to order?  would a double shoulder work?  I dont mind small imperfections or things like that but what are the chances whatever I get would have a good 3ft x 2ft with out any holes or major issues in it?

Thanks!

A double shoulder would more than likely work.  Where are you located?  There may be local shops that can help you.  

10 hours ago, Br902389 said:

Thanks!! I was going to stitch around the sides of the desk mat and mouse pad and maybe do some designs in it as well.   I will keep that in mind with the tape!

I am not sure where to go around here to buy leather like that.   If I do order online what would be the best to order?  would a double shoulder work?  I dont mind small imperfections or things like that but what are the chances whatever I get would have a good 3ft x 2ft with out any holes or major issues in it?

Thanks!

It would be helpful to know your location, the States, Canada, Australia...lots of countries represented on the forum.  If stateside, I have had great luck with Springfield Leather Company.  They are super easy to talk with and will be more than helpful if you call them up and explain what you are wanting to create.  Or, if there is a Tandy nearby, you could speak with them in person.  Most of the folks working in these shops will be more than willing to guide you to your solution.