Sign in to follow this  
kgg

Prusa 3D Printer Plates

This may help others that are using Prusa 3D printers and is just my experience which may vary depending on user printing needs.

Prusa makes 3 different bed plate styles, original 'Smooth', 2nd gen 'Rough', 3rd gen 'Satin'. What I found was "Smooth" works well with PLA and PETG, the "Rough" works best with PLA while "Satin" works best with nothing.  None give 100 percent consistency all the time of sticking PLA even after using degreaser then 99 rubbing alcohol and running at 50 to 75 bed temps. All 3 still need a thin layer of glue for optimal first layer squish with PLA. The "Rough" gives a slightly rough texture but is the most forgiving. You can squish the first layer so much that it melds into a solid base. The "Smooth" is the least forgiving but gives a glass smooth surface and if you look close you can actually see the outline of the lines of the plate in the first layer. The "Satin" is a compromise between the "Smooth" and the "Rough" plates. Not glass smooth but hard to see your lines (right at edge of almost being solid). If I was to buy again I would stick with "Rough" with maybe a "Smooth" plate as backup for oddball prints. I will avoid the "Satin" when purchasing in the future just not worth it.

kgg

Odd, I have the prusa mk3 with a smooth bed, bed set at 60 degrees, clean with ipa never had an issue with sticking & never used glue stick.

I have put it in a case though so that may make a difference?

7 minutes ago, HaloJones said:

Odd, I have the prusa mk3 with a smooth bed, bed set at 60 degrees, clean with ipa never had an issue with sticking & never used glue stick.

I have put it in a case though so that may make a difference?

A couple of things that maybe a play.

Run speed. I run the Prusa's at 100 mm per second. 

Type of PLA. I use a Hybrid engineering grade PLA which requires it have a head temperature of 245 C which causes the filament to fuse yielding less individual lines in the print.

Glue stick. With the type of PLA I use and at the speed I run if I don't use the glue stick I have found that I get a 5% failure rate. So to get the consistency I want I just add the glue as cheap insurance.

I can see having the printer enclosed may keep the area at a more constant temp which could also affect printing. I'm going to have to think about that.

kgg