Sign in to follow this  
kgg

3D Filament Dryers

This may help others that are using 3D filament dryers and is just my experience which may vary.

Those that want or need filament to have a constant water content on all prints regardless of humidly are probably considering a filament dryer. I have three such dryers but I will discuss the two that are directly connected to 3D printers. One is a PrintDry "Dryer Pro", the other is a EIBOS3D CYCLOPES and both are made in China. The EIBOS3D CYCLOPES is probably sort of worth the money and the wait which is about two months as it must take a slow boat journey from China to your door. The EIBOS3D CYCLOPES out preforms the PrintDry "Dryer Pro" on the following points:

i) Less expensive.

ii) Gets down to sub ten percent ambient moisture in under 30min vs 70min.

iii) Has a smaller footprint.

iv) Can handle dual roles at once like the PrintDry but can handle one big role without the need of adapter's.

v) The housing is clear so you can see how much filament is left on the roll.

vi) The housing has holes in the top of the container so that it can live on your desk next to or behind your printer.

vii) The PrintDry also needs to be unplugged as it never really goes 'off' and with the touch sensor on the front it is always active and easily pressed.

Of all the issues with the PrintDry "Dryer Pro" the worst is the very poor filament roll off caused by poor bearings. Had a 30 hr prototype print for my burnisher jam up at hour 25 because of increased resistance from the 'roller bearings'. Needless to say I had some colorful words.

kgg