Viles

Line 24 snap too short

My line 24 snap cap is too short to go through my thumb break strip. The end lines up with the layer of leather.
I don't see they make 24 long, just short. I guess I have to reduce the leather thickness a little in that area? It's two 9oz stitched together. I usually just to western open top so this is a new adventure. I carved a little circle in the snap area to make one fit but it's kinda unsightly. 

20211108_161539.jpg

Edited by Viles

Looks like this is what you needed

https://www.buckleguy.com/line-24-snaps-cap-15mm-ring-socket-nickel-matte-s15b51ln-solid-brass-100-sets-per-bag/

The part that attaches to the snap cap, I like to sink that inside the leather a little bit anyway because I find it sticks out too much.  

I keep a small bushing handy when I want to add a snap in leather that’s a bit too thick.  I put it over the snap post and give it a couple of good whacks to compress the leather around the post.  You can also put the snap post between the two layers of leather so it only has to go through a single layer.

When i do my thumbreak style holsters. I do like garypl said and hide my snap between the holster leather and the thumbreak stiffner piece of leather. I also use a bottom stem for my snap caps when i am hiding them or you might try using a bottom stem anyway threw both pieces of the leather. Since there flat and not concave like the caps are they will stick threw a little further anyway. 

Thanks you guys! I didn't think of hiding it or compressing. Also, I forgot to add my stiffner. I'm not sure what a bottom stem is, ill look it up. 

This is pretty much answered, but I have a  setter that has a small hole in it at one end, about the same size as the post. I put the post in,put the setter on the tiny bit sticking out, and with a firm hit with hammer, I can depress the leather around the post giving it more length, I sometimes moisten the leather . And as mentioned , they come in different lengths   :)

HS

14 hours ago, Viles said:

My line 24 snap cap is too short to go through my thumb break strip. The end lines up with the layer of leather.
I don't see they make 24 long, just short. I guess I have to reduce the leather thickness a little in that area? It's two 9oz stitched together. I usually just to western open top so this is a new adventure. I carved a little circle in the snap area to make one fit but it's kinda unsightly. 

20211108_161539.jpg

When I run into that problem, I have skived the area down to allow for more post to show.

Edited by PastorBob

Thank you all for replying so fast. I'm skiving and depressing the area down for right now, just a circle around the snap and when I run out of these basic snaps I'll invest in DOT snaps. I do like the idea of placing the snap in between the leather. I'll try that on the next batch. Although the socket and stud will have to switch sided on the thumb break. I wonder if that will be a problem. This leather work is going to make me practice common sense. 

21 hours ago, Viles said:

Thanks you guys! I didn't think of hiding it or compressing. Also, I forgot to add my stiffner. I'm not sure what a bottom stem is, ill look it up. 

When you said 2 pieces of 9 oz leather sewn together i assumed one of those pieces was your stiffner. I cant think of any holster ive ever made being as thick as 2 pieces of 9 oz together.  With most snaps theres 4 pieces per set. The snap parts which is male and female. Then there's the 2 stem pieces or post i guess some call it one has a flat bottom and one has the cap thats made to be seen in most cases. The flat end sticks threw leather further cause it doesnt have that concave shape like the cap does. And if your using 2 pieces of 9 oz together i doubt you would ever need a stiffner.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Spyros said:

these look good quality... are they?  anyone used them before?

DOT fasteners are an industry standard —excellent quality.  Fasnap is also good.  I use Fasnap more because it's easier to order direct from the company and I like my rep.