Ashley55

Speed reducer or new motor?

I once had a pressed sheet steel pulley w/bolt in hub from a hay bailer on a perforating machine I modified.  Probably a 24" dia pulley.  I eventually took it off and added a speed reducer.  I did it as I found it unhandy to grasp when I needed to turn here and there by hand.    Still have another pressed steel pulley on a modified Champion stitcher.

No push back really Toxo.  Your only flaw seems to be that you don't realize you're more mechanically inclined than most that frequent here.

7 hours ago, toxo said:

What's the reduction for a 250mm and a 40mm Wiz?

6.25:1

The point I tried to make, and I am sure the original poster of this thread  is not needing all this, is what change in speed would you get for the same machine from original setup with 3/1 speed reducer VS changing the original handwheel to the larger pulley setup? Not sure what the machine in question had for handwheel diameter to start out. 

39 minutes ago, 327fed said:

The point I tried to make, and I am sure the original poster of this thread  is not needing all this, is what change in speed would you get for the same machine from original setup with 3/1 speed reducer VS changing the original handwheel to the larger pulley setup? Not sure what the machine in question had for handwheel diameter to start out. 

I have learned over the years of doing this that some people have to learn lessons the hard way. People keep reinventing the wheel!

17 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have learned over the years of doing this that some people have to learn lessons the hard way. People keep reinventing the wheel!

could you explain also for the sake of the thread and reinvention lol. If this reducer would or wouldn't work on a sewing machine. I love mechanical things, theories and problems and this stuff is quite interesting.https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9410-20-Amp-Router-Control/dp/B001NIK6PC

If you're referring to using it with a clutch motor then no, it won't work. A clutch motor is an induction motor and there is no known easy/cheap way to make them variable speed. Which is why servo motors were developed for sewing machines.:)

That speed control works with what are often called universal motors, the types fitted to electric power tools (if the motor has brushes then it should work).

I purchased a machine that had a servo motor but it was way to fast even set at a low speed. 
I went on Amazon and found a speed reducer for $100 USD, and then measured around both pulleys (stay on outside edge of pulleys, don’t let tape measure fall into belt grooves, it’s easy) then I purchased the 2 belts need from an automotive store. It really isn’t difficult, just take your time and have a friend help. YouTube is a great source of info

Thanks to the referral to Japan Sewing, Chris hooked me up with a new motor. And I've got to say, it was definitely the right choice. The new motor is not only able to sew slower, but its much more powerful and much easier to control- and yet so much smaller, the old motor was this big honken thing. It did come with a 75mm pulley, but thanks to the tips I just swapped it out for the 45mm pulley from the old motor. It was pretty simple and straightforward to swap the new one in. Yes, it probably would have been cheaper in material cost to dyi a speed reducer pulley set- but the time it would take me to figure out what I need, where I can get the parts, and then install it would cost me far more in time than the new motor did. Time is money ;)

All in all, things are working just like I wanted now, so I'm happy!

2 hours ago, Ashley55 said:

All in all, things are working just like I wanted now, so I'm happy!

Chris is pretty good and glad you got it to where you feel comfortable sewing.

kgg