I am wanting to make some leather nametags to put on the lockers at work. However, I tried using the pro-mag sheets from Michaels and some barge contact cement to glue them to the backs of my leather. They hold up ok for the first couple days, then they fall off, and they are hardly sticky anymore. I'm looking for a recommendation for a magnet strip, sheet, or glue i can use to make these work. 

6 hours ago, sstrayhorn31 said:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a magnet strip, sheet, or glue i can use to make these work. 

The magnetic strips are not what you want to use, and forget the glue. If can, rivet one of these style rare earth magnets to your nametags.

session08_01_front_360x.jpg

Another vote for these round thingies. I've used them on wool pompons for fridge magnets (even the smallest magnet sticks better than bought fridge magnes with strips on the back). I attached them by wrapping them in fabric and sewing them on (the ones without hole were much cheaper and I bought a lot). If you use not the smallest size of magnet, they could be strong enogh to put inside a lined nametag (if you have fairly thin leather for lining)

Magnets have a strength rating

N35 is about the lowest and not very strong. Look for and buy magnets rated at N50 or N52. These cost a bit more but they are super strong.

When I use magnets I put them in place with a dab of contact adhesive and then cover it/them with an extremely thin piece of leather glued to the main piece, pressed down tight around the magnet. The thinner the leather the better as the thickness of the leather reduces the pull of the magnet. And try to avoid chrome tanned leather for the cover. I found that thickness for thickness chrome tan reduced the pull far more than veg tanned leather did

In haberdashery you can buy magnets enclosed in small plastic wallets, all ready for sewing into clothes and such. But I've found these magnets are not very strong

Also, you can add magnets to each other to increase their pull. But you can only do so many. There is a formula for this but its basically less than 10x the diameter of the first magnet, after this you get a diminishing return, ie the magnet strength actually starts to weaken