OldCanuck

Greetings from Colorado

I learned leathercraft when I was 12 years old, in school in Canada (hence, the user name). I made a lot of belts and wallets and keychains (you know, Christmas gifts and such). Then I got adventurous and did a few larger projects and some self-designed projects, before I paused it all to concentrate on making a living and raising a family.

With the kids grown up and moved away, I have a lot more time on my hands. When my son recently asked if I could make him a holster and a magazine pouch, I pulled out my tools (and bought some new ones, because you know, new tools!) and rediscovered the fun and satisfaction of doing something that didn't require a network connection or an operating system.

The photo shows the holster, the magazine pouch, and the rounder that I used for practice. It's my first project in over 30 years, and my first time doing basketweave. Definitely, some practice was needed.

A lot has changed in the intervening years. (How many years? Decades.) Some of the old names are gone, and new names are now the acclaimed experts. Craftool have discontinued a lot of their stamping tools, and other sources have sprung up to fill the gaps and to add variety. The term "oak tan" is now replaced with "veg tan", and I keep hearing about this guy named Hermann. And the tooling style I used to practice is now simultaneously out of fashion (my son didn't want it on his holster), a lost art being carefully preserved, and a distinctive style that is celebrated, studied, taught, and innovated. (Um, "Western floral." It wasn't called that back when I wuz a kid.)

And then there's a Facebook group, a Reddit sub, tons of YouTube videos, and websites like this one.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

finished1.jpg

Edited by OldCanuck

Welcome back! There seems to always be something or someone that brings us all back to the craft. It appears that you still have the touch. The tooling is not bad for being away that long. I have found that it gets more and more satisfying as time goes by.

3 hours ago, OldCanuck said:

and rediscovered the fun and satisfaction of doing something that didn't require a network connection or an operating system.

Absolutely THIS!!      

And, welcome to the forum.   

Edited by JayEhl

Welcome back from a former Colorado boy. ( Raised around Denver, left in '76, discovered Central Oregon and haven't been back since.) I'm also a returning member here and share the fun and satisfaction mentioned above.

Good for you, OP!

Up here we get squeezed dry, in all respects.

From the country where one is allowed to wear a holster only at home.

Welcome! Where in Colorado? I'm in Ft. Collins.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, OldCanuck said:

I learned leathercraft when I was 12 years old, in school in Canada (hence, the user name). I made a lot of belts and wallets and keychains (you know, Christmas gifts and such). Then I got adventurous and did a few larger projects and some self-designed projects, before I paused it all to concentrate on making a living and raising a family.

With the kids grown up and moved away, I have a lot more time on my hands. When my son recently asked if I could make him a holster and a magazine pouch, I pulled out my tools (and bought some new ones, because you know, new tools!) and rediscovered the fun and satisfaction of doing something that didn't require a network connection or an operating system.

The photo shows the holster, the magazine pouch, and the rounder that I used for practice. It's my first project in over 30 years, and my first time doing basketweave. Definitely, some practice was needed.

A lot has changed in the intervening years. (How many years? Decades.) Some of the old names are gone, and new names are now the acclaimed experts. Craftool have discontinued a lot of their stamping tools, and other sources have sprung up to fill the gaps and to add variety. The term "oak tan" is now replaced with "veg tan", and I keep hearing about this guy named Hermann. And the tooling style I used to practice is now simultaneously out of fashion (my son didn't want it on his holster), a lost art being carefully preserved, and a distinctive style that is celebrated, studied, taught, and innovated. (Um, "Western floral." It wasn't called that back when I wuz a kid.)

And then there's a Facebook group, a Reddit sub, tons of YouTube videos, and websites like this one.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

finished1.jpg

Nice work and welcome back to the craft. From your northern neighbor.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, alpha2 said:

Welcome! Where in Colorado? I'm in Ft. Collins.

Just down the road, in Loveland.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:35 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Nice work and welcome back to the craft. From your northern neighbor.

Thanks! Nobody will believe it when I say it, but Wyoming is one of my favorite places to vacation/explore, and not just the northwest corner.

Edited by OldCanuck

Ah, neighbor! RE: Wyoming, in the Southeast corner, the stretch between Cheyenne and Laramie is actually fantastic! Whenever I could, (had extra time), I'd get off I-80 and take the route to the North, beautiful.