aru

singer 29 buyers guide

Im buying a singer 29 from a guy at work, and Id like to know what things to look for. I read that the stitch length adjustment seems to be the first to go, but I want to know what else I should look at? Common fail points, etc.

Im not actually sure which model of 29 it is, I will ask tomorrow.

Ive been learning to make shoes, havent been posting here much..

want to get a patcher for this and for patching, now seems like a good opportunity 

20211114_182515.jpeg

20211114_182438.jpeg

First, make sure the machine is complete and will make proper stitches. Then raise the foot with the lift lever on the back. Next, loosen the screw on the back of the presser foot bar and lower the regulator bracket until it stops at the top of the foot. This will give you the maximum stitch length the  machine is capable of in its current state of repair. Put some tin leather under the foot, about 6 ounces thickness, and sew a bunch of stitches. A pristine mechanism will give 5 stitches per inch into this thickness. A worn out machine might only produce 8 spi into 6 ounces.

If you get close to 5 stitches per inch, it is not too badly worn. If it is more like 8/inch, the machine needs new parts.

If you want more information before you buy it, post some pictures showing the complete head, from the seated operator's view, and the model number.

Important parts are shuttles and bobbins, the presser foot, a threading rod, and some #16 and #18 needles (depending on if it has a small or large bobbin).

thanks wizcrafts! I now have an idea of what to look for/test. If im getting tiny stitches, will I be able to find the parts needed, or should I just avoid it all together, im getting it for 500$

If you cant answer that without the model, I will understand. thanks again

37 minutes ago, aru said:

Im buying a singer 29 from a guy at work

Which model number. Do you have any history of the machine?

39 minutes ago, aru said:

I read that the stitch length adjustment seems to be the first to go,

Yes but it also depends on the model, work history and just not the age. The max stitch length of my 1949 Singer 29k 71 was manufacturer spec'd at 7 to 15 per inch. My 1998 Singer 29k71 is probably similar. Sewing 9 mm of veg tan is effortless but I have not sewn over the 9mm thickness myself.

There are two end plates that came with the 29k each marked for the size of needles that plate could accept for the range of needles. The range of needles it can handle are from #11 to #24 needle.

The 29k machines if complete will have a hand wheel which can be used on either the pulley end or the side drive.

Parts for the Singer 29k 70, 29k 71, 29k 72 are still readily available and fairly inexpensive but the older models can be a challenge for some parts.

This is an example of a what I think is a nice running 1949 Singer 29k71: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97429-singer-29k-71-all-cleaned-up/?tab=comments#comment-661772

This is an example of a what I think is a nice running 1998 Singer 29k71: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97594-how-singer-29ks-should-operate/?tab=comments#comment-662317

This is an example of how quiet a 1998 Singer 29k71 should be and this machine is louder and not quite a smooth as the 1949 Singer 29K71:

https://odysee.com/@SingerSewing:0/singer:a

This maybe something you can compare with the one you are interested in.

The main question is this the right machine for putting soles on, I don't know.

kgg

I will have to ask tomorrow what model it is. Its truly incredible that those machines still work, and how much they can sew! I dont have any plans on stressing mine like that, or sewing soles to shoes. finding parts isnt something im too worried about if the machine is in great shape, but it would be a nice piece of mind to be able to buy spare parts and keep one machine forever. I cant believe how smooth some of those run. I really like the older one, I will just have to see what im looking at. thanks for the links

Hint: The model number is on a narrow brass tag mounted on the lower-right front side of the body. It will start with 29- or 29k, followed by 1 or 3 numbers. For instance: 29-4, 29k58, 29k71, 29k172.

Aftermarket moving parts are available for later models. Those parts may or may not fit into a 29-4, or may require modification to fit. Shuttles and bobbins are the same for all small and large bobbin models.

I would avoid a 29-4 unless it is in excellent condition and sews close to 5 stitches per inch into about 6 to 8 ounces of shoe upper leather. That is what they were designed to sew. The older ones max out at 1/4 inch. Later models can sew up to 5/16 inch if tweaked.

Its a singer 29k60 with the longer arm. will be looking and testing tomorrow, very excited. Does anyone here have an idea on how much those weigh? hes saying nearly 120 lbs

4 minutes ago, aru said:

Its a singer 29k60 with the longer arm. will be looking and testing tomorrow, very excited. Does anyone here have an idea on how much those weigh? hes saying nearly 120 lbs

Yeah, at least that. If it is on the cast iron base add another 100 plus pounds. Mine weighed about 225 all setup. It was a blue body Singer 29k172. One of the last ones officially built under the company's name. You can save a little weight by removing the massive balance wheel while transporting it. Use pillows and blankets to protect the small parts on the head. It is too easy to accidentally knock off the front mounted tension disks for the bobbin winder.

The Singer 29K60 is a long arm big bobbin patcher. It should handle up to #138 bonded thread, top and bottom. The maximum stitch length could be up to 5 to the inch, depending on the wear in the feed motion mechanism and the movable stitch adjuster position.

my lord that is one hefty machine! He said like 200 and I figured he was overestimating. Its just the head im buying. Sounds like one of the better old patcher machines. definitely going to be careful moving it. Thanks so much wiz!

3 minutes ago, aru said:

my lord that is one hefty machine! He said like 200 and I figured he was overestimating. Its just the head im buying. Sounds like one of the better old patcher machines. definitely going to be careful moving it. Thanks so much wiz!

I used to own Union Lockstitch machines. You want to talk about heavy? I was able to lift my long arm Singer patcher, with some effort. Not so with a ULS!

proper boat anchors! 

1 hour ago, aru said:

proper boat anchors! 

Aye, Capt'n

I got my boat anchor! works well, very happy with it. going to attack some elbow pads to a flannel for the first real use.

The stitch length im getting isnt the factory spec, but its probably about 7 an inch, since I dont need bigger stitches than that, it should be fine.

at some point I may look into restoring it to factory spec, but I read the thread on that, and it looks a bit intimidating and precise.

thanks guys.