toxo

Thin foam.

Well I didn't get any joy with the splitter question but maybe someone can point me to some thin foam like they put in wallets?

48 minutes ago, toxo said:

Well I didn't get any joy with the splitter question but maybe someone can point me to some thin foam like they put in wallets?

Sorry mate that is something I do with my band knife splitter here. I can not get sheets at 1mm thick in Australia. I can get about 2mm and I split from there. Here is a link that may do what you want https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1313&_nkw=fun+foam+eva+1mm&_sacat=0

You could try googling fun foam eva 1mm

What kind of foam is it?

You can get thin sheets, about 1mm thick, in Hobbycraft. Its an EVA foam. From 50p/sheet

See if this links you to a listing

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/kids/kids-craft-supplies/foam-sheets-and-shapes?sort=Sale_Price~asc

edit

PS Hobbycraft says 2mm thick but its not consistent. I just checked some of my stock and much of it is only 1mm, but some, same colour from the same multi-pack is closer to 2mm

edit #2

This place does neoprene down to 2mm thick. I've bought thicker from them for sound proofing my hole-punching table

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252353238313

edit #3

above place; 1mm thick sheets

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254212795359?hash=item3b30436bdf:g:6aYAAOSwVL1V-Urt

Edited by fredk

Thanks guys. Found some on Ebay. I do have some small bits @ 6mm/18mm/50mm. Was thinking I might have to hot wire it.

Another question: Why do you want to use foam for a wallet? I'm really curious because the way I see it foam would add thickness without solidity (just checked my current wallet: no foam anywhere...)

4 minutes ago, Klara said:

Another question: Why do you want to use foam for a wallet? I'm really curious because the way I see it foam would add thickness without solidity (just checked my current wallet: no foam anywhere...)

First of all, I've never made a wallet in my life yet but I've been asked to do some coin purses and was given an old one as a sort of template. Obviously the leather was very thin but behind the leather was a thin layer of foam and I was struck by how luxurious and warm it felt in my hand. I should add that behind the foam was a stiff, thin piece of plastic that stopped it being floppy.

I have to admit to being jealous of the build. The turned edges were very small and the stitches were tiny. I know these things are possible when using machines that are permanently set up for one particular job.

I don't much use foam in wallets myself but in a fair few purses and bags we do it a lot. At the moment I am working on a new range for a customer and this prototype one I just finished has 1mm foam in the lid, base and around the sides as well. Once I finished it I took it outside to get a few pics and of course my nosy girls just had to have an inspection.

DSC02135_resize.JPG

DSC02136_resize.JPG

DSC02159_resize.JPG

Ginger here reckons the colour just does not go for her

DSC02163_resize.JPG

Bomba  on the other hand well ......the colour is great and she wants it NOW.

DSC02162_resize.JPG

Hardware except the zip and brand badge is all from the Buckle Guy.

29 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I don't much use foam in wallets myself but in a fair few purses and bags we do it a lot. At the moment I am working on a new range for a customer and this prototype one I just finished has 1mm foam in the lid, base and around the sides as well. Once I finished it I took it outside to get a few pics and of course my nosy girls just had to have an inspection.

DSC02135_resize.JPG

DSC02136_resize.JPG

DSC02159_resize.JPG

Ginger here reckons the colour just does not go for her

DSC02163_resize.JPG

Bomba  on the other hand well ......the colour is great and she wants it NOW.

DSC02162_resize.JPG

Hardware except the zip and brand badge is all from the Buckle Guy.

Sorry cant resist.

Theres me thinking you are saying to them, yes one day if you two are good girls you can become one of these one day.

JCUK

7 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Sorry cant resist.

Theres me thinking you are saying to them, yes one day if you two are good girls you can become one of these one day.

JCUK

Nah...I only keep um to save me havin to go out and slash all the weeds all the time. Saves me a small fortune in time and diesel.:cheers: Oh and factory windows:whistle:

8 hours ago, mike02130 said:

That link look promising but the options show from 2mm up. Strange that the picture they show shows a 1mm black??? 

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Strange that the picture they show shows a 1mm black??

We Americans are not used to the devil's metric system.

Why, for leather workers it schould be easy: 1mm = 2.5 oz. ;) 

(And for the rest of the world this equation is completely crazy: WTF have 71 g to do with 1 mm? I suppose leather used to be weighed per ... square foot, I suppose?)

Edited by Klara