Sjm1027

draw using the computer and print out the pattern

I was wondering what others use for drawing patterns?

I think it would really be nice to draw using the computer and print out the pattern

Thanks

Using computers for everything is the way of this world. They save us time, money, and a lot of aggrevation. But in the same moment they cost us a lot of time(I should be tooling but here I am typing), money(they are cheaper now, but now we just buy more gadgets), and aggrevation(sometimes shooting one with a high powered deer rifle would be a great time).

I think computers can and will be used(if not already) for pattern layout and reproduction in the future. But to me if you are creating a custom piece of working art that will out last all of us, then nothing can replace a craftsmen pouring sweat over a pattern for hours trying to get it just the way he/she wants it.

Everyone designs their patterns differently, I draw mine on the leather piece I am making and then carve it in. Once the pattern is carved I will trace over it using mylar and then transfer it to the other piece or file the pattern for later use. This is just what works for me and everyone has a different way of doing things. I am sure that there is or could be a program that will allow you to free hand draw and pull flowers and leaves from a database. This could be really helpful, but I get a better feel for what my goal is with a piece by just drawing it straight to the leather.

That is the main objective with this craft...No rules, find what works well for you and do that.

Personally, I have little to no ability to draw and create on my own. I am pretty good at copying though. I have a number of times scanned in a similar pattern that does not fit the piece I am working on. I then stretch or shrink it according to what I am working on using the simple programs that came with my camera. I print it out and can test fit it. If necessary, I can hand draw in a line or two, then scan it back into the computer. I have the pattern saved for the future this way too. When I am done I print the image onto transparancy paper (clear plastic) with a laser printer and I can then trace it onto the leather.

We've got a couple of graphic designers here, and a couple of Geeks as well (dsenette did the banner above in Photoshop) so I'm going to move this to the computer section, and wave a flag for them. I'm interested in what the professional opinion is, too.

Johanna

Adobe Illustrator is my tool of choice for doing all my artwork and pattern pieces.

Kate

i do my design work most of the time useing a light table . working the design at a size that is comfortable for me.. after i get what i want in a design i then scan it into my computer. useing my wacom tablet and corel or photoshop. i then clean up my art work .size it to what ever i want to put it on .and then transfer it to what ever i what to engrave metal and ivory.. i'm still working on how to transfer my designs to leather..once it gets here that may help :) that how i do my art work.. i could show you what i do.. but for me its hard to write it out :unsure: for me if i had to do the design only on the computer it would take me for ever. and time for me is money...just a bit old school..

Edited by hiloboy

I do all of my pattern and mold work in SolidWorks, a 3D CAD program and then I 3D print cutting templates and molds. The cutting templates are typically 0.1" thick whith a little handle on top to hold on to them. A typical cutting template costs maybe twenty five cents to print and a three or four piece mold set maybe five dollars. I find that a lot of errors can be caught and fixed in the modeling process and the 3D printed parts are a good way to improve accuracy and speed up production. These days I almost never cut without using a plastic template to guide the knife and for molded things like sheaths and holsters I always print a mold set. If I have something I am going to make a lot of I may have as many as ten 3D printed parts, a combination of cutting templates, molds and alignment jigs.

When I am designing my templates and molds I include the pattern for any design or stitch lines in the part. The 3D printer will print a raised line on the part as narrow as 0.4mm so when you lightly press the template on the leather piece to cut it out the raised part will leave a light impression that can be used as a guide. If you want to sink your stitches into the leather you just print the raised part a little higher and press it a little harder into the leather. This takes some practice but eventually with one press you can make a groove for the stitches and a guide for sewing at the same time. The beauty of this process is that using a CAD program you can make your designs and patterns perfectly symmetrical; all of your arcs are tangent and lines are straight.

Edited by sbrownn

I use AutoCAD

For the drawing that I do on the computer, . . . Windows Paint serves me quite well.

Most of my drawings are done freehand, . . . then on to my Epson scanner, . . . and tweaked as necessary with paint.

Kinda simple, . . . low budget, . . . but it works.

May God bless,

Dwight

Its funny, I have used illustrator, and autocad in my professional life for 15 years and amateurishly for 20. I used to be the tech support for an autocad school. I designed timberframe houses in 3d. I made a boatload of logos, gig posters and other print stuff in illustrator. I can still use about half of illustrator using keyboard shortcuts.

What I have learned is simple designs are still usually faster by hand. Even complex assemblies are often faster to prototype in real life.

I have found that I am best with a piece of paper, a ruler, a pencil and a compass. It just works for me when making patterns.

If i am going to repeat the pattern, or pass it on digitally, i will fire up the confuzer system and plot it out.

I also use story sticks for patterns. Look them up. You can fit the whole pattern for a rectangular multi pocket gussetted messenger bag on a strip of paper. 2 feet long an 2 inches wide.....coloured pens help...

Geometry is so complexly simple.

Edited by TinkerTailor