Bueno

Dyeing leather gray

Hey y'all,

I feel a little silly asking a question like this but I figured I'm in the right place. I'm trying to dye some leather a slate gray. I'm most familiar with Fiebing's dye, but they don't make gray.

I'm not familiar with other brands, do you guys have recommendations? I thought about thinning down the black dye but sometimes that will end up being purple or navy blue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bueno

Gray and white dyes are pretty awful, no matter the brand.  It's more like paint, really.   Impossible to get even when dying veg tan.  I'd suggest get pre-dyed/drum-dyed for those two colors.

- Bill

You can buy Grey / Gray dye

I have some but there's no point me telling you who from cos they don't send out of GB, afaik

Oh, alright then

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152663364215

Depth of shade of the grey / gray just depends on how many coats you put on

btw, here in UK 'Slate Grey' varies from a blue-ish grey to a green-ish grey

You might want to experiment with vinegaroon  that you make using steel wool and white vinegar.   see www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsc67akuVk from Road Agent Leather.   The holster he makes on this video appears as a slate gray and he also shades the outer perimeters darker by air brushing more of the vinegaroon .

23 hours ago, Sasquach said:

You might want to experiment with vinegaroon  that you make using steel wool and white vinegar.   see www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsc67akuVk from Road Agent Leather.   The holster he makes on this video appears as a slate gray and he also shades the outer perimeters darker by air brushing more of the vinegaroon .

You took the words right out of my mouth, it works great

Try the Eco-Flo Waterstain Slate Gray. Make sure you shake the bottle  , work it in with a sponge , let it dry , buff it and apply some Golden mink oil. It's not a dye but you might get the result you are looking for