toxo

Help! Durkopp 239 not working.

After playing with the "69" for a few months I cleared up around the old 239 cos i have a job for a flatbed. Then I was reminded that it was "put away wet" as you yanks might say. I vaguely remember a problem with it but it was put on the back burner because the Adler 69 came along.

All is well at the moment except I have the outside presser foot jacked up and it won't come down. I think I'm on top of the rest of it if I can just undo what I did to jack it up in the first place. I think I was trying for more height back then. Won't be doing that again.

Any help gratefully received. A link to a service manual would be handy. I have an instructors manual but that's not much good.

Is the Singer 111 family close enough to be of help? There's no service manual available for Durkopp.

Edited by toxo

First oil the linkage holding up.  Send us a few pics of the back of the machine se we can instruct you what to do.

glenn

I think I can tune it if I can just get the presser foot to work properly. I think I've pinpointed the bit I messed up last time. Here's some pics.

I think I loosened this screw and the lug had completely dropped out of the cavity and now I can't get the outside presser foot to raise.

Durk 3.jpg

I also undid this screw and now I'm not sure where this block should be.

Durk 239.jpg

Here I'm holding the manual lift lever (the end of the arm is broken off). It's flopping about and there's about 6mm between it and the piece it's supposed to ride on.

Durk4.jpg

I've said sod it a couple of times and been on the verge of giving up on it but i won't, that's not me but clearly I need some help here guys please

OK. I'm getting worried now. Either the hive doesn't know the answer or no one wants to help ☹️

Remove the presser spring. Then, if the bar is still stuck, unscrew the crank shafts and pull them off. There may be a burr interfering. Ploish the affected parts and oil. Replace the broken lever. Readjust the lift mechanism and block to limit the travel so this can't happen again.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, toxo said:

There's no service manual available for Durkopp.

Durkopp_239.pdf

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Remove the presser spring. Then, if the bar is still stuck, unscrew the crank shafts and pull them off. There may be a burr interfering. Ploish the affected parts and oil. Replace the broken lever. Readjust the lift mechanism and block to limit the travel so this can't happen again.

Thanks for the  reply Wiz. Don't know what you mean by crank shafts. had the spring out a couple times. very rarely use manual lift so that doesn't bother me, I'll replace it one day. The "block I'm guessing is the thing I'm pointing to in on of the pics.

Thought I had it earlier. Was working but not much lift on the outside foot. Had the eye a sixteenth below the hook, had the needle and the inside foot at the feed dog at the same time but but no lift. Tried to tune it but didn't get far. I'll have another go tomorrow but at least I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the PDF but I already have a parts list. Been working with Singer 111 and Adler 69 service manuals but they're both different (but similar) to the 239 when it comes to the outer foot shaft.

Edited by toxo

I have no idea what you did but just from the pictures, Id first remove the screw cap for foot pressure adjuster (# 223112) or the outer foot, then loosen the 2 clamps screw on the outer foot bar (#078112, #460113). Remove leaf spring on the rear if necessary. Then put back on the outer foot. Then tighten the 2 clamp screws and put back on the screw cap. That at least should  bring your feet back in a "quite normal position" - I guess cause do not know what exactly you did (what screws you gave turned).

grafik.thumb.png.197b42a716b571acbdad50ffc23fdd47.png

Edited by Constabulary

Spot on Folker!  Well done. Got it sewing (without thread) but still too low. It's marking one layer of 2.4 Veg tan even with the top screw almost off. . So how do I raise it up? The rest is pretty good. will probably need fine tuning but hook is meeting the middle of the scarf, Stitch length is good.

What is too low?

Regarding markings on leather - since the 239 has 2 foot pressure springs I´t try to remove either the long leaf spring on the rear or the one with the screw cap. Trial and error. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Yes!

Got it sewing reasonably well. :). Decided to celebrate by putting on the new 250mm pulley I got the other day. :) Almost got it done, new belt too small by a smidgen. :( Never mind. Have to take a small piece out of the table and move the bobbin wiinder anyway.

Still, two pieces  of 0.9mm. I'll take that after all this time.

IMG_20211126_001759__01.jpg

IMG_20211126_001815__01.jpg

10 hours ago, Constabulary said:

looks good :spoton:

Thanks Folker.

All was going well for a change but can't get a new belt 'til Monday. Me being the impetuous fool that I am will make a leather one. Can't fine tune the needle positioner 'til it's runnning properly.

I will work it out but does anyone know what the third stop plate is for on the needle positioner? The limited Chinese destructions only allude to two (Upper stop and lower stop).

The servo pulley on the 239 is 55mm and I had a spare 45mm but the bore is too big so I made a shim/bush out of a baked bean tin. Not perfect but it's working. I'll replace it when I find a better one.

My project room now looks like a bombs gone off in there. Can't wait to get some semblance of order so I can do something constructive.