I bought a new Henry 30-30 and thought it deserved a scabbard. I don't need it for a horse, but it'll come in handy for my Jeep. I used the Springfield Leather pattern. I'll make my own pattern for the next one. Comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Randy

20211119_140921.jpg

20211119_140931.jpg

thats alot o basket weave but its straight as a string and beautiful indeed. It'll look great in your Jeep and you could make a strap for those slits and use it to carry over your shoulder. I made one semi similar for a BP rifle and use it as the native Americans did over the shoulder quiver style. 

You beat me to it, Chuck - that is a LOT of basket weave!! It does my head in thinking about it!

A beautiful piece of work, Randy.:specool:

Beautiful!!!! Love me some GOOD basketweave, and you NAILED it! Very nice indeed!

Thanks for the compliments. I obviously like basket weave too. :lol: I knew it was a lot of area so I used my largest stamp to save some time. 

Randy

Really nice . . . but my arm hurts thinking of that basket weave . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

That is very nice! I get some requests from time to time  for these but have not done one yet.

That’s very nice and I must second what Dwight said.  I’m not brave enough, yet, to tackle a project like that.  I still need a pattern that can be forgiving with my many mistakes!  Thanks for sharing your nice work.

Thanks for the compliments. 

Randy

Really, really nice!   It will improve the looks of any jeep or saddle you care to strap it to.  It would have to be a mule deer and maple leaves in my neck o'the woods, though.

WOW!!!

What beautiful work all around.  Someone is going to be very happy with that and so will your grandchildren in the future.  

As others have said, the basket weave is dead on.  The carving is outstanding as well.

How long did it take you?

12 hours ago, AzShooter said:

WOW!!!

What beautiful work all around.  Someone is going to be very happy with that and so will your grandchildren in the future.  

As others have said, the basket weave is dead on.  The carving is outstanding as well.

How long did it take you?

Thanks. I think I have about 3-4 hours in tooling. I finished the oak leaves and deer one evening, covered it up and did the basket weave the next day. I took a couple break during the basket weave, but it took about an hour and a half of tooling.

12 hours ago, TonyV said:

Really, really nice!   It will improve the looks of any jeep or saddle you care to strap it to.  It would have to be a mule deer and maple leaves in my neck o'the woods, though.

It's oak leaves and white tail down here. It might be a little fancy for my Jeep. :) 

Randy

Randy,

How many guide lines did you use for the basket weave? 

God bless

38 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

How many guide lines did you use for the basket weave? 

The short answer is 2. :) 

The centerline down the bend is a straight line. I used that to set my angle (I wanted the stamp to be even along that line). I drew a reference line across the area to be tooled at the predetermined angle. Then I work both directions from that line. I try to stay focused on keeping the stamp relative to the centerline. Let me know if that helps. Otherwise, I can probably take some pictures to illustrate the process. It's nothing earth shattering and is used by a lot of people.

Randy

37 minutes ago, rktaylor said:

The short answer is 2. :) 

The centerline down the bend is a straight line. I used that to set my angle (I wanted the stamp to be even along that line). I drew a reference line across the area to be tooled at the predetermined angle. Then I work both directions from that line. I try to stay focused on keeping the stamp relative to the centerline. Let me know if that helps. Otherwise, I can probably take some pictures to illustrate the process. It's nothing earth shattering and is used by a lot of people.

Randy

Honestly . . . I got lost in the description . . . and after seeing yours . . . it makes my arm and head hurt to think some day I'll take a whack at one similar . . . but I keep trying to talk myself into it . . . for my Marlin lever action .44 mag rifle.  Any help is always appreciated . . . and I am definitely a newer novice when it comes to basket weave stamping.

May God bless,

Dwight

Outstanding! I'm slowly working up to doing some scabbards. I've got a few lever actions that could use one. I've got an old book that shows how to do the pattern. 

What did you line it with?

Jeff

Edited by alpha2

Patience and accuracy.  Key to most things.  That was 'almost' the answer I expected, but I thought maybe another guideline scratched in every eight or ten rows, just as a micro check on straightness.

Darned fine job!!

God beless

I'd like to post a unique and different comment, but I'm afraid that I just agree with everyone else.  Really, really nice job.  Looks fantastic.

That looks really nice!

This rifle scabbard is just WOW. Thankyou for posting the pics! Great work on the stamping, basket weave is so sublimely tricky and you have pulled it off and then some.The pics make me want to get out there and do something similar. thankyou for posting 

Absolutely stunning.  Need to make one of those.  I have drawn out a couple of patterns, just haven't pulled the trigger.  How did you dye that large a piece?

Beautiful job Randy :thumbsup: 

I hope all is well :)

Regan

Thanks for all the compliments. Response to some specific questions are below.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, Dwight said:

I got lost in the description

Sorry Dwight, I know the description is short. It is really a combination of methods Bruce Johnson describes here. https://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/17-stamping/. I have some photos, but need to write some steps to go with them. I haven't made that effort, because I am not sure if it would add anything to the previous posts. Maybe I'll get to that someday. As was pointed out, it just takes some patience and attention to detail. Plus, I have basket stamps a lot of projects.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, alpha2 said:

What did you line it with?

It is not lined. Its just 13/15 HO saddle skirting.

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

How did you dye that large a piece?

I dyed the bar grounded areas with Cordovan brown and then used Sheridan tan antique on the entire piece. A couple coats of neatsfoot oil and some time in the sun. Dyeing and finishing is not a strength I possess.

All is well here @Rbarleatherworks. I hope you are staying safe up north.

Thanks to all for the discussion.

Randy

On 11/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, rktaylor said:

I bought a new Henry 30-30 and thought it deserved a scabbard. I don't need it for a horse, but it'll come in handy for my Jeep. I used the Springfield Leather pattern. I'll make my own pattern for the next one. Comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Randy

20211119_140921.jpg

20211119_140931.jpg

I think it looks great. I am in the process of making my first rifle scabbard also but with straps for a horse. 

I like how you are branching out from saddles; the scabbard looks great.  Whose BW stamp did you use?  The border stamp looks like an Ellis Barnes.  I have to echo everyone else's compliments.  Keep 'er up pard!!