Warhauk

Good pattern material?

I saw a video on youtube from weaver leather talking about .023 plastic sheeting that they use to make their patterns and it seems really useful. While the price seems pretty good, I dont want to either wait 3 weeks for it to come in or spebd and extra $20 to get it faster, making the price look not so good. Im having difficulty finding something similar on like amazon and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good material or at least point me to what im actually looking for to find this type of sheeting. I know paper card stock and stuff ate an option but i would like a material that wont wear down.

My wife has a cricut maker and suggested using that for cutting my pattern. The cricut brand stencil roll seems extremely thin though. Ive found some 80 micron (i think thats roughly 32mil) rolls that work with it but they are vinyl and im not sure if that would work well.

Edited by Warhauk
Additional info

i use those heavy paper clothes/cookie  boxes we get at Christmas time. I trace around them so they never wear out and dont bring any more plastic garbage into the world. 

I use "card paper" like from a cereal box. If I would use the same template a lot I would have it laser cut in acrylic.

21 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i use those heavy paper clothes/cookie  boxes we get at Christmas time. I trace around them so they never wear out and dont bring any more plastic garbage into the world. 

:17: I have a stack of cracker/cereal boxes I use for all my patterns. If the project is too big for those I go into the college book store and buy sheets of heavy poster board. 

Maybe my patterns are bigger than some others but I use X-Board floor protector.  It comes in rolls at building centers, flooring stores etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-35-in-x-100-ft-X-Board-Surface-Protector-12370/300095507

Lance

For years I used thermo ply to make large patterns like vest and chaps.  For smaller stuff I used Plexiglas or made my own dies.   A scroll saw is very handy

I use manila folders.  I haven't been able to determine how long they last over 3 or 4 uses so far for my favorite holster.  

If I find anything that needs to last longer, there are all sorts of plastic sheets to use.

Try to laminate the manila folder after you cut out your pattern.  They will last a long time.  

I like using cardboard that is used to keep shirts flat after dry cleaning. I also use 13  X 19 photo paper, 65 pound or higher works real well.

For my small patterns,  I use card stock and print directly onto it. Works really well. For larger stuff, I often use the card stock you can get from Costco or similar stores that I find between the paper towel stacks.